ABET accreditation, should it be a significant factor?

In summary, the program at the University of Cincinnati is new and not accredited. However, once it has a graduated class, it will be filed for accreditation review and may be accredited then. It is important to check with the state board of engineering in the state in which you wish to practice, as not being accredited may limit your ability to sit for the PE exam.
hanzlikm
I am a current student at the University of Cincinnati and I am in the Architectural Engineering program they have. The Architectural Engineering program they have there is new (I believe its been around for 3-4 years or so) and since its a 5 year program they haven't had a graduating class yet. I just recently found out that the program is not ABET accredited (and when I was coming in as a freshman I did not realize being accredited was a thing). UC is well known for their engineering programs so it makes me think that employers would take the colleges reputation into play when considering you for a job. However ABET only accredits programs and not colleges.

• Is it a big deal to not be accredited? (should I be worried)
  • If I am in the program now when it is not considered accredited and by the time I graduate it is accredited, would that mean I am accredited? (Using my logic it would make more sense that you have to go through an accredited program from start to finish to be considered accredited but i could be wrong.)
  • Should I consider transferring into an accredited engineering program?
  • opinions/comments?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ABET is very important in ME and EE. You should probably ask potential employers how important it is in your field.

Architectural Engineering is a NEW designation for the NCEES and may only have a few ABET accredited schools available. Soooo,... you should check with your state licensing PE board as to whether they will let you take the PE exam after 4-5 years of graduation. If your state board says yes, you can feel confident that your current school is fine for YOUR current state of residence. Should you relocate to another state, then ABET accreditation will become very important for you.

ABET accreditation is an excellent way to measure how good is the college's engineering degree, but it becomes an (almost) essential requirement, if you plan to pursue professional licensure as an Engineer. Your particular program may also qualify for AIA licensure / certification as well (I am NOT knowledgeable about this).

Is ABET accreditation the be all, end all requirement for getting a PE? No, you can still become a licensed engineer without an ABET accredited degree, but it is usually much more difficult to be allowed to sit for the exam. So, I would investigate how well your current program is viewed by the state board of PE's and if you are planning to relocate out of state. If you are open or planning to relocate out of state, you should give some consideration to transferring to an ABET accredited program.

Okay thanks guys, really, your comments are helpful. I have just spoken to my Dean at UC, and he reassured me that as soon as they have a graduated class that they are filing for accreditation review (it is a requirement to be accredited). AND he answered my second question ("If I am in the program now when it is not considered accredited and by the time I graduate it is accredited, would that mean I am accredited?") saying that even if I am already years into my program that I will still be considered accredited.

hanzlikm said:
Okay thanks guys, really, your comments are helpful. I have just spoken to my Dean at UC, and he reassured me that as soon as they have a graduated class that they are filing for accreditation review (it is a requirement to be accredited). AND he answered my second question ("If I am in the program now when it is not considered accredited and by the time I graduate it is accredited, would that mean I am accredited?") saying that even if I am already years into my program that I will still be considered accredited.

You need to contact the PE licensing board in the state in which you wish to practice. In the US, individual PE licensing boards are set up in the individual states; I'm not aware of any national licensing board in the US at this time.

The individual state PE licensing boards can be contacted by clicking on the particular state or states in which you wish to practice:

http://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/licensing-boards

What is ABET accreditation?

ABET accreditation is a voluntary, peer-review process that evaluates technical education programs based on their curriculum, faculty, facilities, and educational outcomes. It is considered the global standard in technical education.

Why is ABET accreditation important?

ABET accreditation ensures that a technical education program meets the quality standards set by the industry and academia. It also provides confidence to employers and students that graduates of the program are well-prepared for their careers.

What are the benefits of attending an ABET-accredited program?

Attending an ABET-accredited program can increase your chances of getting employed, as employers often prefer graduates from accredited programs. It also ensures that you receive a high-quality education that meets the standards of the industry. Additionally, if you plan to pursue further education, credits from an ABET-accredited program are more likely to be accepted by other institutions.

Does ABET accreditation guarantee a high-quality education?

While ABET accreditation is a strong indicator of a high-quality education, it does not guarantee it. It is important to research the specific program, its faculty, and its resources to ensure that it meets your personal standards and goals.

Should ABET accreditation be a significant factor in choosing a technical education program?

ABET accreditation is definitely an important factor to consider when choosing a technical education program, as it ensures that the program meets industry standards. However, it should not be the only factor - it is also important to consider the program's curriculum, faculty, resources, and personal goals to make an informed decision.