Applied Math or Electrical Engineering (Active Duty Military)

In summary, for someone interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics, an electrical engineering degree would be a better option than an applied mathematics degree. While an online degree may be possible, it is typically not as highly regarded by employers. It is recommended to research and choose a degree program that aligns with one's interests and skills. It may also be beneficial to focus on getting an associate degree in science while in the military, as these courses are likely to be transferable to a university. It is important to check with the desired university to ensure that the courses taken will be accepted for transfer credit.
Tjcarney
I am currently active duty military and an aspiring physicist(probably theoretical but I haven't decided). I'm planning to take college classes online but there aren't any accredited physics degree programs that are online (at least that I found). The next best thing that I can find are 2 Electrical Engineering degree programs(both ABET accredited) and an Applied Mathemmatics degree(
Regionally accredited). What be a better major considering my goals. Also are my priorities even right (ie. should I be more worried about the type of school over degree). I thank you in advance for any advice given.

Physics news on Phys.org
With an interest in Physics, EE is much better for you than Applied Math. EE requires a number of Physics courses and is not an easy degree to complete, and is not a substitute if you are truly interested in theoretical physics or a degree in other physics disciplines. You would take courses in electricity , magnetism, waves, optics, communication, power generation and transmission, for example, but not necessarily quantum physics or modern physics; also, an on line course for a EE degree takes many years to complete. A degree from an accredited college you would attend in person is preferred, if that option was available to you. As an employer, I think I'd be a bit cautious hiring someone with an online degree for the full course of study at the undergrad level.

Likes scottdave
Are you going to try to get the entire degree online? I suppose that is possible. There were no online courses when I was in the Navy, but several people on my ship took correspondence courses. They were taking some courses which would be basic to any college degree, not specific to a program. I wouldn't limit myself to a program, just because it is online. Research what you think you would like, what you think you'll be good in, and you think you can use. If you are just starting in college, I don't think you need to commit to a program right off the bat. Just some thoughts.

It's going to take you a while to finish your degree working part time, especially as the military tries to ensure its junior enlisted have as little free time as possible. :wink: I'd start by trying to get some of the general education courses out of the way, and use that as a way to calibrate how much time college will take. In a few years, we can discuss the end game.

How long do you expect to remain in the service before you can enroll in a university. What is you educational background? If you will only be taking a course or two a semester and may only be taking half dozen courses before you are discharged then considering your leaning toward theoretical physics math courses would be the best choice and I would say that even if you didn't choose theoretical physics. especially if you have not had Calculus. Just be sure that the credit will be transferable to the university when you get out. That's what I would do.

Thank you all for your input. As far as my educational background goes, I've only been to high school. However I've learned a lot of science and math (including some differential and integral calculus) and I think I've gotten somewhat of a feel for how much learning I can get done while working. I have 4 1/2 years left on my enlistment, after that I plan on getting out and going to college to finish whatever might be left of my undergraduate degree. I guess what my question is, what credits are more important to get while I'm in.

"Applied Maths" is really a broad term, it can mean many things, depending on the department. It can mean anything from Industrial Mathematics, to Numerical Analysis, to Mathematical Physics, etc.

Tjcarney said:
I have 4 1/2 years left on my enlistment, after that I plan on getting out and going to college to finish whatever might be left of my undergraduate degree. I guess what my question is, what credits are more important to get while I'm in.

One option would be to focus on getting an associate degree in science (or something similar). That way you'll have your more fundamental math and science courses knocked out and also have a few humanities-type classes as well. Most universities will accept these classes as transfer credits and you can probably start working on your upper level courses fairly quickly.

If you already have an idea about where you want to go to school after your enlistment is up, then you should check with that university and make sure that your plans match with what they will accept.

1. What is the difference between Applied Math and Electrical Engineering?

Applied Math focuses on the use of mathematical theories and methods to solve real-world problems, while Electrical Engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and devices.

2. How does the military use Applied Math and Electrical Engineering?

The military uses Applied Math for tasks such as analyzing data and predicting outcomes, while Electrical Engineering is used for designing and maintaining various electronic systems and equipment.

3. What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in Applied Math or Electrical Engineering in the military?

There are various career opportunities available in the military for those with degrees in Applied Math or Electrical Engineering, such as working in research and development, intelligence analysis, or as a military engineer.

4. Can I work in both Applied Math and Electrical Engineering in the military?

Yes, you can work in both fields in the military. Many roles require a combination of both skills, and there are also opportunities for cross-training and career advancement.

5. Are there any additional training or certifications required for a career in Applied Math or Electrical Engineering in the military?

Yes, there may be additional training or certifications required, depending on your specific role and branch of the military. It is important to research and discuss with a recruiter to determine any specific requirements for the career path you are interested in.