Is an MS in Operations research worth it?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether a degree in operations research is a viable option for a career in the industry. The speaker is considering switching to a computer science degree, but others in the conversation suggest sticking with the OR degree. The conversation also touches on the job market and the value of a degree from a university. Ultimately, the speaker is unsure about their career path and is considering going back to college for a different degree.
homeylova223
I am going to start doing this degree MS Operations research https://www.isye.gatech.edu/academics/masters/ms-operations-research/curriculum.

But I am wondering if you can actually get a job with a degree in operations research, I been doing research and people say operations research is more for academic and I want to go into the industry.

I was looking at the classes deterministic optimization,probability models, statistical simulation, and chi squares and hypothesis testing.Is it worth learning this topic from what I been reading it is not some much the math that is important as knowing how to code in python and c++. So would I do better to get go for a MS in computer science degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
homeylova223 said:
Is it worth learning this topic from what I been reading it is not some much the math that is important as knowing how to code in python and c++.
How are you going to make a good program if you do not understand the underlying mathematics? Of course, you could be content with using and combining pre-existing toolboxes, but I would be more ambitious if I were you. Even if you end up working mostly with existing software, you will still be able to better appreciate its capabilities and limitations if you understand the mathematics.

So, I would stick with the OR degree, learn a lot and develop yourself on both fronts.

I believe @FactChecker has industry experience in this field. Would be nice to hear what he thinks.

P.S. Regarding CS degrees: At least here, the CS curriculum is about a lot more than just learning how to program in certain languages.

Likes FactChecker
My experience was that OR was a good mixture of applied subjects. It includes statistics, computer science, optimization, etc. It may be unlikely that you use all of those in a particular job, but they do cover a lot of applied territory. Actually, my official degree was in Industrial Engineering. I think that the word "Engineering" helps a lot in a job search. I felt that I got more respect from potential employers for subjects that I took in an engineering department than for the fact that I had taught those same subjects earlier in a math department.
In any case, do not neglect your computer science learning. That is critical.

I see so I think it would be better to see if I can transfer from MS in operations research to MS in Industrial Engineer I mean they are the same department. Because I think its true engineer sounds like someone who is out there in the field in the warehouse not simply reading textbooks. For marketing purposes.

homeylova223 said:
I see so I think it would be better to see if I can transfer from MS in operations research to MS in Industrial Engineer I mean they are the same department. Because I think its true engineer sounds like someone who is out there in the field in the warehouse not simply reading textbooks. For marketing purposes.
Consider that decision carefully. Are the subjects the same? Discuss it with the professors. There can be great benefits from working on a project in a company, which is often included in an engineering curriculum. In any company, the ability to work with others on a team is very important.

I am not sure what to do. I have to take out student loans to do this MS degree and I feel unsure about college.To speak honestly I have a negative view of universities they seems like scams to me to a great degree. They graduate tons of student and but there not enough jobs. and they take your money.

I don't know what to do. I think I would rather major in something more concrete like civil or software engineer in contrast to this OR thing. At least I know that a software engineer does. I just hear stories of people with degrees and working crappy jobs and having student loans and I am disappointed. What is the point you work hard for a degree and then no employer values it its like a piece of toilet paper.

The good thing about going back to college is you might network. I don't know I don't want to pay for something and take risk when companies don't want to take a risk on you, "oh nice degree you got experience buddy no well to bad bud take a hike"

I just don't want to do it or pay for it.

Job markets are local. Have you looked at the help wanted ads in the geography of interest? Are there job postings for an MS in OR?

homeylova223 said:
I have to take out student loans to do this MS degree

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. So why pick toll roads?

homeylova223 said:
I have a negative view of universities they seems like scams to me to a great degree. They graduate tons of student and but there not enough jobs. and they take your money.

And how exactly do you propose Georgia Tech creates jobs at Boeing or Coca-Cola for their graduates?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. So why pick toll roads?
And how exactly do you propose Georgia Tech creates jobs at Boeing or Coca-Cola for their graduates?
I mean Georgia Tech cannot create jobs at these companies. I know they do have connections with some of the companies in Atlanta like Delta and Coca Cola but they cannot guarantee you a job or an internship. I do not know where I am going to be honest.
Like I I cannot really think of anything that I would like to do for a career. I am not career oriented I am more of a hobby oriented. My hobbies are video games, general learning like history, walking, hiking things like that. Some people can turn their hobbies into careers like someone who is passionate about fixing things like electronics but my hobbies are more of leisure. I majored in math because I had a scholarship so it was free and I simply liked the subject and thought a stem degree would be enough to get me a job.
I been reading that industry does not know really know how to employ people who study OR and this makes me nervous.
To be honest the real reason I am considering returning to college is not so much for the education but to see if I can network and make some connections which will give me a job.

I really do not know a part of me would rather do a cs degree because it seems like software developer is something more widespread while operations research is niche. Very few people even know what an OR is.

To @homeylova223 ,

One advantage of Georgia Tech's Operations Research (OR) program is that it is highly regarded as among the best programs in the US for that field (OR being part of the School of Engineering, which itself is highly regarded).

What that means is that you will likely receive a quality education in the field of operations research -- a highly applicable field which should provide you with key skills in statistics, computer science, and optimization, all areas that are employable skills today (even taking into account the current pandemic).

In addition, Georgia Tech's reputation in OR means that it is highly likely that employers will pay attention to the degree earned. Which is helpful for networking, as well as in applying to various job areas.

So at least in my humble opinion, I feel that a MS in OR is worth it. But ultimately the choice is yours.

[Aside: it is worth pointing out that OR jobs may not necessarily be advertised as such in job boards. Pay any attention to jobs that involve analytics, data science, or similar terms. Companies or organizations that offer these types of positions often hire OR graduates, as well as those with similar degrees like statistics.]

Likes homeylova223 and FactChecker

1. Is an MS in Operations Research worth the time and financial investment?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. An MS in Operations Research can lead to high-paying job opportunities in various industries, such as logistics, supply chain management, and consulting. It also provides a strong foundation in analytical and problem-solving skills, making it a valuable degree for those seeking a career in data analysis or management. However, it is important to carefully consider the cost and time commitment of pursuing this degree and weigh it against potential career benefits.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with an MS in Operations Research?

The job prospects for individuals with an MS in Operations Research are generally positive. The demand for professionals with strong analytical skills and the ability to optimize processes and systems is increasing in various industries. Some common job titles for those with this degree include operations research analyst, data analyst, supply chain analyst, and logistics manager.

3. How does an MS in Operations Research differ from other related degrees?

An MS in Operations Research focuses specifically on the application of mathematical and analytical methods to solve complex problems in operations and decision-making. It combines elements of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and business to provide a comprehensive understanding of operations research principles. Other related degrees, such as an MS in Business Analytics or Industrial Engineering, may have some overlap in coursework but have a different focus and application.

4. Can I pursue an MS in Operations Research without a background in math or engineering?

While a background in math or engineering can be helpful in understanding the concepts and techniques used in operations research, it is not always a requirement. Many programs offer foundational courses to help students without a strong math background catch up. However, a strong aptitude for math and analytical thinking is necessary to succeed in this degree.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites I should have before pursuing an MS in Operations Research?

Some programs may require applicants to have a certain level of proficiency in math and statistics, as well as some programming experience. It is also helpful to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong interest in data analysis and optimization. Additionally, having some knowledge of operations management and business principles can be beneficial in understanding the real-world applications of operations research.