Is Choice of Spinor Representation a Gauge Symmetry?

In summary, the only thing about the gamma matrices that is "fixed" is the anticommutation rule. This freedom to choose a representation is not a gauge symmetry.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In the Dirac equation, the only thing about the gamma matrices that is "fixed" is the anticommutation rule:

[itex]\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu + \gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu = 2 \eta^{\mu \nu}[/itex]

We can get an equivalent equation by taking a unitary matrix [itex]U[/itex] and defining new spinors and gamma-matrices via:

[itex]\gamma'^\mu = U \gamma^\mu U^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]\psi' = U \psi[/itex]
[itex]\bar{\psi'} = \bar{\psi} U^{-1}[/itex]

(Actually, it occurs to me now that [itex]U[/itex] doesn't need to be unitary. But if it's not unitary, we need to define [itex]\bar{\psi'} = \psi'^\dagger (U U^\dagger)^{-1} \gamma'^0[/itex], rather than [itex]\bar{\psi'} = \psi'^\dagger \gamma'^0[/itex])

My question is whether this freedom to choose a representation is a gauge symmetry. Is there a corresponding gauge field so that we are free to choose [itex]U(x^\mu)[/itex] differently at every point, if we make the corresponding change to the gauge field?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is no more a gauge symmetry than the ability to express the electric and magnetic fields in terms of cartesian basis vectors or spherical polar basis vectors.

WannabeNewton said:
No. It is no more a gauge symmetry than the ability to express the electric and magnetic fields in terms of cartesian basis vectors or spherical polar basis vectors.

Well, the choice of a different basis at each point in spacetime IS a gauge symmetry, isn't it? Can't GR be described in those terms?

WannabeNewton said:

To me, the choice of the matrix [itex]U[/itex] at each point seems like a generalization of the choice of the phase [itex]e^{i \phi}[/itex] at each point. That's the special case where [itex]U = e^{i \phi} I[/itex]. The choice of phase is the gauge symmetry associated with electromagnetic interactions. I was wondering if there was a more general gauge symmetry that involved more complicated choices of [itex]U[/itex].

1. What is a spinor representation?

A spinor representation is a mathematical description of how spin transforms under rotations in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons.

2. Is the choice of spinor representation a gauge symmetry?

Yes, the choice of spinor representation is a gauge symmetry. This means that the physical laws describing the behavior of particles with half-integer spin are invariant under transformations of the spinor representation.

3. Why is the choice of spinor representation important?

The choice of spinor representation is important because it affects the way that particles with half-integer spin interact with each other and with other particles. Different choices of spinor representation can lead to different predictions for physical phenomena.

4. Can different spinor representations lead to the same physical results?

Yes, different spinor representations can lead to the same physical results. This is because the choice of spinor representation is a gauge symmetry, meaning that the physical laws are invariant under transformations of the spinor representation. However, the mathematical expressions used to describe these results may be different depending on the chosen spinor representation.

5. How is the choice of spinor representation related to the concept of chirality?

The choice of spinor representation is closely related to the concept of chirality. Chirality is a property of particles with half-integer spin that describes their handedness or "handedness." The choice of spinor representation determines the way that chirality is manifested in physical phenomena.