Is Earth a Viable Substitute for the Neutral Wire in Electrical Systems?

In summary: Thanks for your input.In summary, the neutral wire in a power station is the same as the wire connected to Earth. This means that current will flow through the ground if the neutral wire is connected to Earth.
Chris Toffer
In a power station, the transformer's neutral wire is the same which is connected to earth. My question is if the neutral and the Earth is basically the same wire, can we use the Earth as our neutral point? i mean will it be a closed circuit where current will flow if we connect our neutral wire to earth??

SAM_0414.jpg

Regardless any danger that will occur, i just want to know if the current will flow through the ground or not...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chris Toffer said:
My question is if the neutral and the Earth is basically the same wire, can we use the Earth as our neutral point? i mean will it be a closed circuit where current will flow if we connect our neutral wire to earth??
Yes. In rural areas with long runs of wire, costs can be lowered by using a single high voltage conductor and the Earth as the current return path.

Swer.gif

Single wire Earth return (SWER)

The "quality" of your voltage depends on how the transformer is grounded. In a floating neutral point or delta connected secondary a phase-ground connection would not give the same function as a phase-phase connection. But it would still be a potential difference between one phase and ground! That is a fascinating fact! Do you know why?

thanks for ur reply, my problem is solved

nope why is it fascinating??

May I interject here ... in theory yes you can use the Earth path as a neutral but in reality doing so if the system isn't specifically designed as such then strapping the return neutral path to Earth can be very dangerous...
Consider a fault condition where the neutral was lost then the Earth will become the return path and this could make all Earth metal work at mains potential if a incomplete circuit ... lethal to the next joe blogs who might put his hand on the radiator

Likes 1 person
Yes, current will flow.

We obviously go to great lengths to separate ground and neutral in our everyday wiring.
You might ask the question, will the circuit work if I don't ground it. Yes, it will.
You might ask the question, what if I just use the ground wire for my nuetral...will it work...yes it will.

All those conditions will work, just they all break code and can kill in short circuit situations and what not.

And just because a transformer has it's neutral grounded, that is not an invite to use the ground as neutral. Two return paths is always ideal.

If you have an ohmeter, stick in it the dirt outside your house. Keep the prongs like 5 feet about. You will probably read a few ohms give or take according to the moisture in your soil. V=IR...so you can guess your voltage drop.

Likes 1 person
Hi,

I am an electrical apprentice currently undergoing studies and we touched on the SWER system today. My question is in regards to how the electrons actually travel back to the distribution source/transformer and not just flow off in another direction. To my knowledge they will follow the path of the least resistance so if no infrastructure or conductive aid is installed to ensure their return what's stopping them from traveling wherever they want? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Kieran.

They will take the easiest, laziest path back to their source which is typically the secondary of THEIR nearest transformer.

Doesn't KCL tell us that charge MUST get back to where it started from?

What would happen to the transformer winding if its charge flowing out one end didn't come back into the other ?

"Ground" is widely misunderstood. It's best thought of as "just another wire" , one that goes everyplace on earth.

Likes NascentOxygen
Kieran Hart said:
Hi,

I am an electrical apprentice currently undergoing studies and we touched on the SWER system today. My question is in regards to how the electrons actually travel back to the distribution source/transformer and not just flow off in another direction. To my knowledge they will follow the path of the least resistance so if no infrastructure or conductive aid is installed to ensure their return what's stopping them from traveling wherever they want? Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Kieran.
I really don't think bringing electrons into this is of any help to understanding. For a start, with AC, there is no net flow (i.e. they all end up where they started at the end of every cycle) and also, you must know that the average drift speed is in the order of mm per second. Stick to Current, as all good Engineers do and save yourself from a further level of complication.

Also, charges do not just take 'the easiest route'. The current is shared according to the resistances of all possible paths. In a simple circuit, this may only involve one significant path but in cases like this, it's anyone's guess, without more information.

Kieran Hart said:
My question is in regards to how the electrons actually travel back to the distribution source/transformer and not just flow off in another direction.

Electrons don't move very fast in a wire even though lots of energy is being transferred.

micohm.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html

Related to Is Earth a Viable Substitute for the Neutral Wire in Electrical Systems?

1. Can the Earth be used as a neutral laboratory for scientific experiments?

Yes, the Earth can be used as a neutral laboratory for many scientific experiments. Due to its diverse and complex ecosystems, the Earth provides a unique environment for studying various phenomena and conducting experiments in different fields such as biology, chemistry, and geology.

2. How does the Earth's atmosphere affect scientific experiments?

The Earth's atmosphere plays a crucial role in scientific experiments by providing the necessary conditions for many processes and influencing the behavior of certain substances. For example, atmospheric pressure and composition can significantly impact chemical reactions, while air currents can affect the movement of objects or particles.

3. What are the challenges of using Earth as a neutral laboratory?

One of the main challenges of using Earth as a neutral laboratory is the difficulty in controlling all the variables. The Earth is a dynamic and constantly changing system, making it challenging to isolate specific factors in an experiment. Additionally, ethical considerations must be taken into account when conducting experiments on the Earth's ecosystems.

4. Can the Earth be used to study extraterrestrial phenomena?

While the Earth can provide valuable insights into various scientific phenomena, it may not be suitable for studying extraterrestrial phenomena. The Earth's unique conditions and characteristics may not accurately reflect those of other planets or celestial bodies. Therefore, scientists often use other methods, such as simulations or space probes, to study extraterrestrial phenomena.

5. How can we ensure that the Earth remains a neutral laboratory for future generations?

To ensure that the Earth remains a neutral laboratory for future generations, it is essential to practice responsible and sustainable scientific research. This includes minimizing the impact of experiments on the environment, preserving natural resources, and considering the long-term consequences of scientific discoveries. Collaboration and communication among scientists and policymakers are also crucial in maintaining the Earth's neutrality as a laboratory for generations to come.