Is EMF Induced in a Square Loop Moving Through a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the person is asking if there is an induced emf when a square loop is moved through a massive magnetic field at constant velocity. They are wondering why Faraday's law seems to suggest that there should be no emf since there is no change in flux. They hypothesize that the charges on the vertical sides of the loop might cancel each other out, but they are unsure and seeking clarification. Another person explains that when a straight wire moves, it behaves as if the area enclosed by an imaginary loop is increasing, but for a square loop the area remains constant.
clementc

Homework Statement

Hey guys,
This is just a qualitative question.
So assume I have a massive super large magnetic field, and pull a straight, isolated conducting wire sideways through it with constant velocity. I know that the EMF induced is given by
emf = Blv where
l is the length of the conductor
B the magnetic field strength
and v the velocity with which the wire moves

But say I have a square loop entirely in the field, and move it again with velocity v (it still remains entirely in the field)
Is there still emf induced? By Faraday's law, there's no change in flux, so hence there should be no emf. By I just don't know why.
I mean if emf is induced even for an isolated straight wire, why isn't it for a square loop?
I'm thinking it's kind of because the 2 vertical sides of the square loop both have charges trying to move up/down them (depending on the direction B and which way the loop moves), so they kind of "crash" into each other at the top and bottom edges and cancel out each other?
I'm sorry if it's kind of confusing, but does anyone know?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
when a straight wire moves, it behaves as though the area enclosed by an imaginary loop with the wire as one edge is increasing. but for a square loop, the area remains constant.

Related to Is EMF Induced in a Square Loop Moving Through a Magnetic Field?

1. What is EMF induction?

EMF induction is the process by which an electric current is generated in a conductor, such as a wire or loop, when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This is described by Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is EMF induced in a loop or wire?

EMF is induced in a loop or wire when it is subject to a changing magnetic field. As the magnetic field changes, it creates a force on the electrons in the conductor, causing them to move and create an electric current.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of EMF induced in a loop or wire?

The magnitude of EMF induced in a loop or wire depends on several factors, including the strength and rate of change of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop or wire, and the material of the conductor.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC EMF induction?

AC (alternating current) EMF induction occurs when the magnetic field changes direction periodically, such as in a generator. DC (direct current) EMF induction occurs when the magnetic field remains constant, such as in a transformer.

5. How is EMF induction used in everyday life?

EMF induction has many practical applications, including generators for electricity production, transformers for voltage conversion, and induction cooktops for cooking. It is also used in devices such as motors, speakers, and wireless chargers.