Is Freshman Physics Too Difficult for Non-Calculus Students?

In summary: I get it. You probably don't want to get into a discussion about this, but I think it's important to address. America is in a lot of trouble because our education system is not preparing our kids for the future. We've been doing this to ourselves for a while now and it's time to change. If we're going to have a chance at competing with other countries, we need to start training our children from a young age. In summary, the advice given to the individual is to drop microeconomics for physics for their first quarter at university. Dropping microeconomics for physics would prepare the individual for studies later on in their physics career, as the intensity with which physics departments design their intro physics series would
Domn
Hi everyone. I am currently attending the University of Washington, and after talking to a few advisers it has become apparent to me that Physics 121 (first course in the calculus based physics series) is not recommended to people that haven't taken the entire calculus series yet. They explained that it was a very competitive course, and a weed out course for the engineering students. I have wanted to study physics for a while, and have never gotten the chance due to my high school background. So far I have showed that I am not too well adept in the math department (3.0 in calculus 1, and a 2.4 in calculus 2). I can say however, that I excelled in the understanding of derivatives, but failed to understand surface revolutions, and work problems within my calculus 2 class.

I am currently registered for Calculus 2 as a re-do, Microeconomics (I enjoyed macro, but I don't think I will enjoy micro after looking at the course summary.), and Intro to logic (this is because I wish to double major, or minor in philosophy). Would it be a good idea to drop micro for physics for my first quarter at University? So far I am undecided as to what my major will be, but I do want to study some upper level physics eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org
The whole "weed out," idea is truly a terrible one. It's a big problem right now with education in the US. Weeding out basically discourages kids from pursuing STEM majors. Anyways, dropping micro sounds like a very good one. Your focus should be on physics, especially since you're partially undecided and about to take your first physics class.

camjohn said:
The whole "weed out," idea is truly a terrible one. It's a big problem right now with education in the US. Weeding out basically discourages kids from pursuing STEM majors.

I disagree. Make them all weed out courses so the hardworking ones can get through it then have less competition for jobs later on.

DrummingAtom said:
I disagree. Make them all weed out courses so the hardworking ones can get through it then have less competition for jobs later on.

I'm not referring to the difficulty of the entire curriculum for physics majors, I'm referring to the intensity with which physics departments design their intro physics series. Such intensity discourages a lot of kids from even trying. Since a lot of American kids are already lazy, it gives the country a much less solid STEM skillset then its potential allows it. Obama and Arnie Duncan have actually spoken about it, and are trying to solve it.

camjohn said:
I'm not referring to the difficulty of the entire curriculum for physics majors, I'm referring to the intensity with which physics departments design their intro physics series. Such intensity discourages a lot of kids from even trying.

I never heard of a physics class getting easier as it goes up in level. If physics and math for that matter gets more difficult as it goes on.. then why should the first year courses be a cakewalk? That would be ruthless to design a system like that because then it would give false hope to those that succeeded in the intro but failed completely in the upper level classes. I would rather have an intense intro class that prepared me for studies later on. It's ridiculous to ask for anything less.

For instance, at my school there is the EE programming class and the CS programming class, both intro courses. The EE one is known to be very difficult --> pointers and memory the very first day and *lots* of writing throughout the semester while the CS one learns to read code and write seldom but mostly piece together code that's already written. What happens in the next CS course, Data Structures, when the intensity gets turned up? The CS kids struggle while the EE kids are finishing their homework in 15 minutes. In my opinion, that intro CS class probably helped some people grow confidence but it still didn't prepare them for what's to come.

I don't understand how making something easier will help STEM skillsets. Won't it just get more unqualified people into those fields? That's *if* they even survive the schooling after the "easy" classes. I don't buy into the "give everyone a chance" attitude. Either work hard and survive or get out.

camjohn said:
I'm not referring to the difficulty of the entire curriculum for physics majors, I'm referring to the intensity with which physics departments design their intro physics series. Such intensity discourages a lot of kids from even trying. Since a lot of American kids are already lazy, it gives the country a much less solid STEM skillset then its potential allows it. Obama and Arnie Duncan have actually spoken about it, and are trying to solve it.

Look at the school district Arne Duncan previously was the CEO of before becoming the secretary of education.

Related to Is Freshman Physics Too Difficult for Non-Calculus Students?

What is "Freshman Physics Difficulty"?

"Freshman Physics Difficulty" refers to the level of difficulty that students typically encounter when taking introductory physics courses in their first year of college. These courses cover basic principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics.

Why is "Freshman Physics Difficulty" considered challenging?

Many students find "Freshman Physics Difficulty" challenging because it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. The concepts covered in these courses can also be abstract and difficult to visualize, making it challenging for some students to grasp.

What factors can contribute to the difficulty of "Freshman Physics Difficulty"?

There are several factors that can contribute to the difficulty of "Freshman Physics Difficulty". These include a lack of preparation or understanding of basic mathematical concepts, insufficient study habits, and a lack of practice with problem-solving techniques.

How can students succeed in overcoming the difficulty of "Freshman Physics Difficulty"?

To succeed in "Freshman Physics Difficulty", students should attend all lectures and actively participate in class discussions and activities. It is also important to consistently practice problem-solving techniques and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. Developing strong study habits and time management skills can also greatly improve success in "Freshman Physics Difficulty".

Are there any resources available to help students with "Freshman Physics Difficulty"?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students with "Freshman Physics Difficulty". These can include study guides, practice problems, online tutorials, and study groups. Your college or university may also offer tutoring services or have a physics help center where you can receive assistance from professors or advanced students.