Is g^-1Ng a Subgroup of G? Proving Invariance in Group Theory

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the set g^{-1}Ng is a subgroup of G, given that G is a group and N is a subgroup of G. The key steps to proving this involve showing that the set is closed and contains an inverse. To show closure, the conversation suggests taking any two elements in g^{-1}Ng and showing that their product is still in g^{-1}Ng. In order to do this, the conversation suggests using the fact that G is a group and that combining elements under the operation will still result in an element in G. To show the existence of an inverse, the conversation suggests taking the inverse of an element in g^{-1}Ng and showing that it is also in g
Juanriq
Salutations all, just stuck with the starting step, I want to see if I can take it from there.

Homework Statement

Let G be a group and let N be a subgroup of G. Prove that the set [itex] g^{-1}Ng [/itex] is a subgroup of G.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm going to have to show that [itex] g^{-1}Ng [/itex] is closed and contains an inverse. Do I start by saying that [itex] g \in G [/itex] and [itex] n \in N [/itex], therefore [itex] n \in G [/itex] as well as [itex] g^{-1} \in G [/itex]. The fact that G is a group means that combining these terms under the operation will still fall in G because it is closed. Also, for inverses, the element [itex] n^{-1}\in G [/itex] so I can take [itex] g^{-1}n^{-1}g [/itex] as the inverse?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want to show their element is closed, you have to show any two element in [itex]
g^{-1}Ng
[/itex] when multiply, it still in [itex]
g^{-1}Ng
[/itex], not in G.

so if x and y is in [itex]
g^{-1}Ng
[/itex], what can you say about x and y??

and you need to show x*y is in [itex]
g^{-1}Ng
[/itex]

p/s: sorry if my english terrible

Related to Is g^-1Ng a Subgroup of G? Proving Invariance in Group Theory

What is an invariant subgroup?

An invariant subgroup is a subset of a group that remains unchanged under a specific operation or transformation of the group. In other words, the elements of the subgroup are closed under the operation and the subgroup is preserved by the group action.

Why is it important to prove an invariant subgroup?

Proving an invariant subgroup is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of a group better. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between elements of a group.

What are some common methods used to prove an invariant subgroup?

The most common methods used to prove an invariant subgroup are by showing closure under the group operation, proving that the subgroup is a subgroup of the original group, and demonstrating that the subgroup is preserved by the group action.

What are some examples of invariant subgroups?

Examples of invariant subgroups include the center of a group, which consists of all elements that commute with every element in the group, and the stabilizer subgroup, which consists of all elements that leave a specific element unchanged under a group action.

What are some real-life applications of proving invariant subgroups?

Proving invariant subgroups has many practical applications, including in cryptography, coding theory, and quantum mechanics. For example, in cryptography, invariant subgroups can be used to generate secure keys for encryption and decryption. In coding theory, they can be used to detect and correct errors in digital communication. In quantum mechanics, they can help in understanding the symmetries and conservation laws of physical systems.