Is (-infinity, b) an event for any real number b?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the interval (-infinity, b) is an event in the sigma-algebra generated by the set of all real numbers and all intervals of the form (-infinity, b]. The three conditions for sigma-algebra are used and it is proven that (-infinity, b) can be expressed as a countable union of events, satisfying the third condition. It is also stated that the second condition does not need to be proven, as it is a property of sigma-algebras.
kolua

Homework Statement

Suppose that the sample space is the set of all real numbers and that every interval of the form (-infinity, b] for any real number b is an event. Show that for any real number b (-infinity, b) must also be an event.

The Attempt at a Solution

use the 3 conditions required for sigma-algebra.
1. S is an event.
2. If A is an event then Acis also an event
3. if Aa, A2... is a countable collection of events, the union of such events is an event.

for the first condition, s is the subset of itself, so it's an event
for the second condition, I am not sure how to prove that [b, infinity) is also an event

Physics news on Phys.org
A countable union of events is an event. Can you think of a way of expressing the open interval ##(-\infty,b)## as a countable union of events ##\bigcup_{i=1}^\infty (-\infty,a_i]##? How might you choose the ##a_i##?

andrewkirk said:
A countable union of events is an event. Can you think of a way of expressing the open interval ##(-\infty,b)## as a countable union of events ##\bigcup_{i=1}^\infty (-\infty,a_i]##? How might you choose the ##a_i##?
Yes, I know how to prove the third condition. ai=b-1/n as a goes to infinity. But what about the second condition? how should I prove that Ac is an event? Ac=[b, infinity)

kolua said:
Yes, I know how to prove the third condition. ai=b-1/n as a goes to infinity. But what about the second condition? how should I prove that Ac is an event? Ac=[b, infinity)

For integer ##n > 0## the set ##(-\infty,b- \frac{1}{n}]^c = (b-\frac{1}{n},\infty)## is an event. We have
$$ [b ,\infty) = \bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty} \left(b - \frac{1}{n}, \infty \right).$$

Last edited:
kolua said:
You don't have to prove the second condition.

The conditions tell us how to construct the sigma algebra generated by a collection of sets. Given a collection C of sets, the sigma algebra generated by that collection is the smallest collection of sets that (1) contains C and (2) satisfies those three properties.

What you're asked to do is, given that C is the set of intervals ##(-\infty,b]## for ##b\in\mathbb R##, show that for any ##b\in\mathbb R##, the interval ##(-\infty, b)## is in S, the sigma algebra generated by C.

To do that we only need to use property 3. We already know that ##C\subseteq S##. Property 3 shows that it follows from that that for any ##b\in\mathbb R##, the interval ##(-\infty, b)## is also in S.

1. What is an event in a scientific context?

In science, an event refers to a specific occurrence or happening that can be observed and measured. It can be a singular event or a series of events that follow a certain pattern.

2. How do you prove that a set is an event?

In order to prove that a set is an event, you need to demonstrate that it meets the criteria of an event. This includes being observable, measurable, and having a clear beginning and end. You may also need to provide evidence or data to support your claim.

3. What are some examples of events in science?

Examples of events in science include natural phenomena such as eclipses, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions, as well as human-made events such as experiments, chemical reactions, and technological advancements.

4. Can a set be both an event and a non-event at the same time?

No, a set cannot be both an event and a non-event simultaneously. An event is something that is observable and measurable, while a non-event is something that does not occur or does not have a clear beginning and end. Therefore, a set can only be classified as one or the other.

5. Why is it important to prove that a set is an event in scientific research?

In scientific research, it is crucial to clearly define and identify events in order to accurately collect data and draw conclusions. Proving that a set is an event ensures that it is a valid and reliable part of the research process, leading to more accurate and meaningful results.