Is it possible to bend a laser beam?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to manipulate light, such as refracting it with a lens or prism, reflecting it with a mirror, or using internal reflection in fiber optic cables. The concept of gravitational lenses is mentioned, and the conversation delves into more advanced topics such as materials with graded refractive index and self-bending beams. However, it is noted that the original question did not specify the intended application or level of knowledge, and there has been no response from the original poster.
Prabesh Pokharel
If so how can we do that?

Science news on Phys.org
It's just light. You can refract it with a lens or a prism. You can reflect it with a mirror. In fiber optic cables, internal reflection is the reason that the beam follows the fiber.

jbriggs444 said:
You can refract it with a lens or a prism.
Or a star.

But for some smaller applications that might be impractical.

Likes Tom.G
DaveC426913 said:
Or a star.

But for some smaller applications that might be impractical.

I mean, isn't that technically still a (gravitational) lens, though?

boneh3ad said:
yup, but a really awesome and cool scale :smile:

boneh3ad said:
Of course, in the case of a gravitational lens, the light is technically traveling in a straight line and we merely regard it as bent because of our prejudice toward the expected behavior of a space-time free from intrinsic curvature.

jbriggs444 said:
Of course, in the case of a gravitational lens, the light is technically traveling in a straight line and we merely regard it as bent because of our prejudice toward the expected behavior of a space-time free from intrinsic curvature.
I suspect that's a bit too advanced for this OP

boneh3ad said:
Yeah. The reason I mentioned it is that it is a lens that does not require the light to pass through - and be degraded by - a medium.

phinds said:
I suspect that's a bit too advanced for this OP
Perhaps, but it might be unfair to second-guess the OP. They gave no clues about the intended application, or level of knowledge.

DaveC426913 said:
Perhaps, but it might be unfair to second-guess the OP. They gave no clues about the intended application, or level of knowledge.
Based on the original question, I stand by my statement.

Material with graded refractive index. See also mirage.

Likes Nik_2213 and jbriggs444
CWatters gave what seems to me the closest answer to what the OP intended. When light goes from one medium to another and the two media have different refractive indices, the light beam will refract, or change direction sharply at the interface. One can fabricate materials that instead of having layers of discrete materials has a smooth gradient of refractive index, so that the light experiences a continuous change in refractive index and thus bends smoothly. Compare the pictures in these two wikipedia pages to give a visualization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient-index_optics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_law

CWatters said:
Material with graded refractive index. See also mirage.
A gradual change between different refractive indices will make a laser beam follow a Curved Path, which could be a bit more striking than a sharp kink on the way through. For that to happen (visibly) in air, you would need a long path and some extreme differences in temperature for two layers. But a laser beam can carry a long way and be visible from the side (dust scattering etc) so it may be realisable. Perhaps a fuzzy boundary between two miscible liquids would work.

There are also solutions of Maxwell's equations that allow for shape-preserving self-bending beams without the need for further external manipulation once you managed to prepare the beam. See for example this viewpoint article from APS:
https://physics.aps.org/articles/v5/44

The research article is linked in the viewpoint article.

Anybody notice how we are just talking to ourselves here? The OP has not been back in the 8 days since he posted the question.

Likes mrspeedybob and gleem
phinds said:
Anybody notice how we are just talking to ourselves here? The OP has not been back in the 8 days since he posted the question.
I am shocked, shocked to find that is going on in here.

Likes sophiecentaur and phinds

1. Can a laser beam be bent?

Yes, a laser beam can be bent. However, the extent to which it can be bent depends on several factors such as the wavelength of the laser, the material it is passing through, and the angle of incidence.

2. How is a laser beam bent?

A laser beam can be bent using various methods such as using lenses, mirrors, or prisms. By manipulating the path of the laser beam, it can be directed to travel in a curved or angled direction.

3. Is it possible to bend a laser beam without losing intensity?

Yes, it is possible to bend a laser beam without losing intensity. This can be achieved by using specialized lenses or mirrors that are designed to maintain the intensity of the laser beam while changing its direction.

4. Can a laser beam be bent at a 90-degree angle?

Yes, a laser beam can be bent at a 90-degree angle. This can be achieved by using a combination of mirrors and lenses to reflect the laser beam at a right angle.

5. Can the direction of a laser beam be controlled and adjusted?

Yes, the direction of a laser beam can be controlled and adjusted using various techniques such as using mirrors, lenses, or prisms. This allows scientists to precisely direct and manipulate laser beams for various applications.