Is it possible to define this bijection?

• Thread starter trash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bijection
In summary, a bijection can be defined between [0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}} and [0,1]^{\mathbb{N}} and between \mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}} and \mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{Z}} using the functions F and D defined above. To prove injectivity and surjectivity, the functions g and h are used to show that F and D are injections. To show that F is also surjective, choose f = h\circ g to prove that F is a bijection.
trash
I'd like to know if it is possible to define a bijection between the sets [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] and [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex]; [itex]\mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex].

I tried to define a bijection between [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{Z}[/itex] as follows: Take the bijection [itex]g:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{N}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(n)=\begin{cases}2n,&n\geq 0 \\ -(2n+1), & n<0 \end{cases}[/itex]. Now let [itex]F[/itex] be the function from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{N}[/itex] given by [itex]F(f)=(f\circ g^{-1})[/itex].
Proving injectivity: Suppose [itex]F(f_1)=F(f_2)[/itex], I tried to show that [itex]f_1=f_2[/itex] as follows: [itex]F(f_1)=F(f_2)\implies (f_1\circ g^{-1})=(f_2 \circ g^{-1})[/itex] then for every [itex]x\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex] we have [itex]f_1(g^{-1}(x))=f_2(g^{-1}(x)) \forall x\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], since [itex]g[/itex] defines a bijection then must be [itex]f_1=f_2[/itex].

I'm not sure how to prove surjectivy, so instead of do so, I defined [itex]h:\mathbb{Z}\to\mathbb{N}; h(n)=\begin{cases}-n/2,&\text{if n even} \\ (n+1)/2, &\text{otherwise} \end{cases}[/itex] and define [itex]D:[0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}\to [0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex] by [itex]D(f)=(f\circ h^{-1}[/itex]. Now the same procedure as above would show that [itex]D[/itex] is an injection from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], and since the function [itex]F[/itex] defined an injection from [itex][0,1]^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] to [itex][0,1]^\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is possible to define a bijection between the two sets.
Is this proof ok?.

Now for [itex]\mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}^{\mathbb{Z}}[/itex], I believe that the functions I defined above ([itex]F,D[/itex]) would work as well changing the domain and codomain of the functions, am I right?.

Edit: Can someone move this cuestion to the homework forum?. I posted in the wrong forum :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. This is perfectly ok.

It is not necessary, but you might still want to be interested in showing ##F## to be bijection. To do so, take ##h\in [0,1]^\mathbb{N}##. You wish to find a function ##f\in [0,1]^\mathbb{Z}## such that ##F(f) = h##. This means that ##f\circ g^{-1} = h##. So choose ##f = h\circ g##, this will work (show it).

Related to Is it possible to define this bijection?

1. Can you explain what a bijection is?

A bijection is a function between two sets where every element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set, and vice versa. This means that each element in the first set has a unique "partner" in the second set and there are no leftover elements.

2. How is a bijection different from other types of functions?

A bijection is unique because it is both injective (or one-to-one) and surjective (or onto). This means that each element in the first set maps to a unique element in the second set, and every element in the second set has a corresponding element in the first set.

3. Is it possible to have a bijection between sets of different sizes?

Yes, it is possible to have a bijection between sets of different sizes. The size or cardinality of a set does not affect whether or not a bijection exists. As long as each element in one set has a unique counterpart in the other set, a bijection can exist.

4. How do you prove that a function is a bijection?

To prove that a function is a bijection, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as proofs or counterexamples.

5. Why is it important to define a bijection?

Defining a bijection is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two sets and allows for a precise and unambiguous way of mapping elements between them. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as cryptography, statistics, and computer science.