Is It Possible to Destroy a Blackhole?

• Thread starter Mordred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blackhole
In summary: Thanks just wish that option would show up on my phone lol. For thatt matter having the post number so I can quote specific posts vs entire threads on my phone would be a treat as well.
Mordred
destroy a Blackhole? !?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6592

What the?

I nominate this for the most outlandish arxiv article I've seen yet lol.
I couldn't think of which forum to post this but its definitely is worth laughing about.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello, Mordred...

I'm not certain you do, but if you would like your links to be clickable, look below the "Reply to Thread" text box, under "Additional Options", locate "Miscellaneous Options", and put a √ in the box that's in front of "Automatically parse links in text".

You should get... http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6592, instead of... http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6592.

OCR... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks just wish that option would show up on my phone lol. For thatt matter having the post number so I can quote specific posts vs entire threads on my phone would be a treat
as well.

I forgot to add destroy the EH of a bkackhole thought I had EH in the title.
I'm still trying to figure out how they can fire a small particle at the EH to cause an interuption. The little math they have is a little vaque on that. Also they imply it will only work on specific BH's but again are not very clear lol.

Last edited:
Mordred said:
Thanks just wish that option would show up on my phone lol. For thatt matter having the post number so I can quote specific posts vs entire threads on my phone would be a treat
as well.

I forgot to add destroy the EH of a bkackhole thought I had EH in the title.
I'm still trying to figure out how they can fire a small particle at the EH to cause an interuption. The little math they have is a little vaque on that. Also they imply it will only work on specific BH's but again are not very clear lol.

As in most papers nowadays... :-(

"...any attempt to destroy the black hole seems to be doomed to fail"

XD Who woulda thunk it?

1. Can we destroy a black hole?

Currently, there is no known way to destroy a black hole. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, black holes are regions of spacetime where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. This means that even if we were able to send a powerful explosion or energy beam towards a black hole, it would not be enough to destroy it.

2. Is it possible for a black hole to be destroyed naturally?

It is highly unlikely for a black hole to be destroyed naturally. However, there are theories that suggest black holes can evaporate over an extremely long period of time through a process called Hawking radiation. This process involves the emission of particles from the black hole's event horizon, causing it to gradually lose mass and eventually evaporate.

3. Can we create a black hole on Earth?

No, it is not possible to create a black hole on Earth. The minimum mass required for a black hole to form is roughly 3 times the mass of the sun. This amount of mass cannot be achieved on Earth, even with the most powerful particle accelerators.

4. Will a black hole eventually consume the entire universe?

No, it is not possible for a black hole to consume the entire universe. While black holes have a strong gravitational pull, they also have a size limit. As a black hole grows in size, it also emits Hawking radiation, causing it to lose mass and eventually stop growing. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that a black hole will consume the entire universe.

5. Can we use a black hole as a source of energy?

Currently, there is no known way to harness energy from a black hole. The extreme gravitational pull and intense radiation emitted by black holes make it difficult for any objects or technology to survive near them. Additionally, the amount of energy that could potentially be extracted from a black hole would be outweighed by the energy needed to extract it.