Is it Possible to Index a Cubic Lattice with h^2+k^2+l^2=7?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of indexing reflections from a cubic lattice, specifically focusing on the issue of forbidden reflections. It is mentioned that some resources do not address this topic or simply label these reflections as forbidden. The conversation then delves into the example of a BCC lattice and the importance of correctly identifying the first observed peak as (110) instead of (100). It is emphasized that this can lead to further incorrect assignments and the need to be aware of the pattern of h^2 +k^2 +l^2 in cubic crystals.
elevenb
Hi everyone,

I've been given a problem where I have to index reflections from a cubic lattice, the procedure is simple enough but I'm getting a case where I get :

[tex]h^2+k^2+l^2=7[/tex]

I've taken to many books, but most either don't mention the topic or say they are simply 'forbidden' reflections. I have also seen where I should double hkl before indexing but I haven't seen a concrete example of this.

I don't think irrational miller indices are the solution here either.

Any contribution would be so helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I never did index a crystal, but the situation appears to be quite trivial. Specifically, I was looking at the table "Selection Rules for Reflections in Cubic Crystals" here
http://www.khwarizmi.org/system/files/activities/146/csd1.pdf
I suppose your substance is BCC. Then you don't observe the peak (100) with h^2 +k^2 +l^2=1, because it is forbidden for a BCC lattice. Instead, the first peak you observe is (110) with h^2 +k^2 +l^2=2. If you wrongly assign it as (100) , you will assign also the following peaks wrong. You don't realize this immediately, because all peaks with h^2+k^2+l^2 odd are forbidden, too. So you will assume for them with h^2 +k^2 +l^2=n instead of 2n. The first time you notice is with the peak (321) for which you obtain h^2+k^2+l^2=7 instead of 14, but 7 never occurs in any cubic pattern.

1. What is a cubic lattice?

A cubic lattice is a type of crystal structure that is characterized by a regular arrangement of points in three-dimensional space. It consists of a repeating unit cell that is made up of evenly spaced points or atoms.

2. How is a cubic lattice indexed?

A cubic lattice is indexed using three integer values, known as Miller indices, which represent the intersecting planes of the crystal structure. The planes are determined by measuring the intercepts along the three axes of the lattice.

3. What is the purpose of indexing a cubic lattice?

Indexing a cubic lattice allows for the determination of the crystallographic orientation and the identification of the atomic arrangement within the crystal. It also helps in the analysis of various physical and chemical properties of the crystal.

4. What are the different types of cubic lattices?

There are three types of cubic lattices - simple cubic, body-centered cubic, and face-centered cubic. In a simple cubic lattice, each lattice point is only connected to six nearest neighbors. In a body-centered cubic lattice, there is an additional lattice point at the center of the unit cell. In a face-centered cubic lattice, there is an additional lattice point at the center of each face of the unit cell.

5. How is the unit cell size determined in a cubic lattice?

The unit cell size in a cubic lattice is determined by the length of the lattice vectors, which are the edges of the unit cell. These vectors are defined by the Miller indices and can be calculated using the lattice parameters and the angle between the lattice vectors.