Miller Indices of Simple Cubic Lattice

In summary, the diffraction pattern for a crystal with a simple cubic lattice will have spots with indices [100], [200], [300], etc. However, higher index spots would only be expected if there were a plane of atoms with a spacing half the minimum distance possible between atoms.
mkphysics
I'm trying to get my head around indexing x-ray diffraction patterns and this thought experiment stumps me. Let's say I have a crystal with a simple cubic lattice structure:

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/sc.gif

I align a narrow x-ray beam incident on the crystal so that the x-ray beam direction vector is normal to the crystal 100 plane. I then observe the pattern of spots created on an observation screen downstream of the crystal. I would expect to see a spots with index [100]. Would I expect to see spots with indexes 200, 300, etc? That is would I expect to see spots with indexes [X00] where X is larger than 1? If so why? My understanding is that the planes associated with Miller Indices are determined by planes passing through atoms within the crystal lattice and that higher index values indicate closer plane spacing. In a simple cubic lattice [100] would be defined by adjacent planes of atoms within the lattice but [200] would require a plane of atoms with a spacing half the minimum distance possible between atoms. Therefore I would NOT expect to see higher order spots in the diffraction pattern.

Am I thinking about this correctly or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. I think I worked it out. The key is to remember that Braggs law is nl = 2d sin(T) NOT l = 2d sin(T) where n is diffraction order, l is wavelength, d is plane spacing and T is angle of diffraction. If d = a/sqrt(h^2 + k^2 + l^2) then Braggs law is

nl = 2*a/sqrt(h^2 + k^2 + l^2)*sin(T)

After rearranging the equation

l = 2*a/sqrt(n^2(h^2 + k^2 + l^2))*sin(T)
l = 2*a/sqrt(nh^2 + nk^2 + nl^2))*sin(T)

Photons which are second order diffracted (n=2) from the [hkl] = [100] plane occur at equivalent locations to x-rays which are first order diffracted (n=1) from the [hkl] = [200] plane (if a [hkl] = [200] plane existed).

Therefore I WOULD expect to see HIGHER INDEX, X00 (X>1), spots due to higher order diffraction NOT the presence of tighter packed planes.

I was bothered with the same "controversy".
It didn't take you long to solve your own question.

Thanks.

What are Miller Indices of Simple Cubic Lattice?

Miller Indices are a system of notation used to describe the orientation and spacing of planes in a crystal lattice structure. They are defined as the reciprocals of the intercepts made by the plane on the three axes of a coordinate system.

How do you determine the Miller Indices of a Simple Cubic Lattice?

To determine the Miller Indices of a Simple Cubic Lattice, you start by identifying the plane of interest. Then, you find the intercepts made by the plane on each of the three axes. The Miller Indices are then determined by taking the reciprocals of these intercepts and representing them as integers enclosed in parentheses, such as (hkl).

What is the significance of the Miller Indices in crystallography?

The Miller Indices provide a convenient way to describe the orientation and spacing of planes in a crystal lattice. They can also be used to predict the properties and behavior of materials based on their crystal structure.

Can Miller Indices be negative numbers?

No, Miller Indices are always written as positive integers. Negative numbers are not used in the notation because they do not provide any additional information about the orientation or spacing of the planes.

Can the Miller Indices of a Simple Cubic Lattice be equivalent to another set of indices?

Yes, the Miller Indices of a Simple Cubic Lattice can be equivalent to another set of indices. This is because multiple sets of indices can describe the same plane in a crystal lattice. These equivalent sets are related by a common factor, such as multiplying by -1 or taking the inverse.