Is it possible to install Microsoft Office without losing my current programs?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I bought the player in a store, good store, but they aren't so fast over here.. it took 3 weeks for my notebook to appear (which was actually my luck, otherwise I would't have been given a gift certificate)..Fortunately for me, being a student I got the Office XP Professional free of charge.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recently bought a new computer, but somehow the only programs installed were very basic: Word and Internet Explorer together with Photo Editor, Paint etc.

Access and Powerpoint and Excel weren't installed.

So now I want to install a version of Office that DOES include these additional software programs, but I am not sure if I will loose the stuff that was already on my computer when I install a different Office??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique
I am not sure if I will loose the stuff that was already on my computer when I install a different Office??

No, you won't loose any of your documents!

First what version of Office you are going to install?

Office97, Office 2000, or Office XP ?

If you install again without manual intall (not typical) then you may not get the other softwares :(

Hey! Got that template zip?

I am not talking about my documents. I am just not sure how Office works, whether it uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one after that.

I want to install Office 2003, right now I am not sure what I have, Office 10 or something?

So programs such as Photo editor, Paint, etc are all part of Windows and not Office?

I want to install Office 2003, right now I am not sure what I have, Office 10 or something?

Hmm...Office 10 I didn't hear about that :(

So programs such as Photo editor, Paint, etc are all part of Windows and not Office?

Yes! You are correct :)

And if now you've got Office2003 I think now while installing you'll select Manual Installation...and then...select what you need!

It includes: MS Word, Access, Exell, FrontPage, OutLook, PowerPoint!

This time must install FrontPage...then you'll get all the templates you need do make a cute Web Site :)

Originally posted by Moni
...then you'll get all the templates you need do make a cute Web Site :)
It's already cute! :wink:

I don't have the Office CD yet.. but I have to give a presentation in a week so it would be nice to have powerpoint on my computer :P I can get a cheap CD since I am a student..

I've never heard of Office 10 either :P I guess that is the package that just includes Word :(

It's already cute! :wink:

I don't have the Office CD yet.. but I have to give a presentation in a week so it would be nice to have powerpoint on my computer :P I can get a cheap CD since I am a student..

I've never heard of Office 10 either :P I guess that is the package that just includes Word :(

Ok! Ok! Don't cry It's Already Cute :wink:

Hey! You haven't got Office CD yet! I thougt Office is a must need thing for general users (Except Linux or Non-Windows users).

And each and every Office must include Word...or nobody will buy it :wink:

I know, at first I had withdrawel signs by not having access to Powerpoint, Excel, and Access.. then I found an old CD with Excel '98 on it and installed that.. still missing Powerpoint and Excel though I should get PhotoShop too though, Paint is just not cutting it

Actually I had a €100 gift certificate that came with the computer to be spent at a electronics store.. I could've bought some software.. instead I bought a mp3 player, which I haven't seen yet (I ordered it 3 weeks ago :().

I should get PhotoShop too though, Paint is just not cutting it

Actually I had a €100 gift certificate that came with the computer to be spent at a electronics store.. I could've bought some software.. instead I bought a mp3 player, which I haven't seen yet (I ordered it 3 weeks ago :().

Hmm...Photoshop is very useful software, I use it for years!

Did you buy that player in online marketting?

Oh! Here in Bangladesh students can't have credit cards...and there are many useful books I find from Amazon...but again...no credit card :(

Besides...here I think parcels are not delevered correctly :(
I've registerred with ACM, they told me they will send me the membership card in a week...1 month has passed :(

Hmm... buy some good softwares...hey! Why don't you buy few softwares which may be useful in your research works?

Yes, I want to have EndNote, but I won't need it in a while though :) .. I think ..

I bought the player in a store, good store, but they aren't so fast over here.. it took 3 weeks for my notebook to appear (which was actually my luck, otherwise I would't have been given a gift certificate)..

Fortunately for me, being a student I got the Office XP Professional free of charge.

Originally posted by Moni
Yes! You are correct :)
No. You are incorrect.
Photo Editor is part of the Office Suite.
Has been since v5.0 or so.

Originally posted by The_Professional
Fortunately for me, being a student I got the Office XP Professional free of charge.
For FREE?! I have to pay €18 for a one year student license, which WILL expire, what are these people thinking?

In the store I can get discount, but will cost a huge amount of money, I'll go and bother some friends of mine :P

Bah, who buys software nowadays. Just download a copy from the internet. Or you could use OpenOffice instead.

Originally posted by dduardo
Bah, who buys software nowadays. Just download a copy from the internet. Or you could use OpenOffice instead.

Hmm...GNU lovers

What about Star Office ?

Openoffice is based on Star Office code. They are basically one and the same.

ok, installed, the computer hasn't crashed yet ;)

For FREE?! I have to pay €18 for a one year student license, which WILL expire, what are these people thinking?

In the store I can get discount, but will cost a huge amount of money, I'll go and bother some friends of mine :P

Yes, my school has a special agreement with Microsoft and I just had to sign some papers.

Are there any stores in your area that offer some kind of rebate?
Yay! I just saw a warez store selling it for 30 dollars :wink:

Last edited:

1. How do I download and install Microsoft Office?

To download and install Microsoft Office, you can either purchase a physical copy or subscribe to Microsoft 365. If you have a physical copy, insert the disc into your computer and follow the on-screen instructions. If you are subscribing to Microsoft 365, go to the Microsoft website and sign in to your account. From there, you can download and install the Office applications.

2. What are the system requirements for installing Microsoft Office?

The system requirements for installing Microsoft Office may vary depending on the version you are installing. Generally, you will need at least 1GB of RAM and 3GB of free disk space. You will also need a compatible operating system, such as Windows or MacOS.

3. Do I need an internet connection to install Microsoft Office?

Yes, an internet connection is required to download and install Microsoft Office. However, once the installation is complete, you can use the applications offline as long as your subscription is active.

4. How many devices can I install Microsoft Office on?

With a Microsoft 365 subscription, you can install and use Office on up to 5 devices. This can include computers, tablets, and smartphones. If you have purchased a physical copy of Office, you can only install it on one device.

5. Can I install specific Office applications or do I have to install the entire suite?

If you have purchased a physical copy of Office, you can choose which applications to install. With a Microsoft 365 subscription, you will have access to the entire suite of Office applications, but you can choose which ones to download and install on each device.