Is it possible to ionize hydrogen peroxide at home?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of ionizing hydrogen peroxide mist using high voltage electrical fields or a corona arc. The purpose of this ionization is to potentially disinfect N95 respirators during the COVID-19 pandemic. The conversation also mentions the use of a chemical hood and specialized lab equipment, as well as the generation of virus-killing reactive hydroxyl radicals. However, the individual involved in the conversation does not have a background in chemistry and may not be able to safely conduct the experiment.
yair252525
TL;DR Summary
how to check if I ionize hydrogen peroxide mist?
Hi,

I wonder maybe anyone can help me.

I’m trying to ionize hydrogen peroxide mist with the help of a high voltage electrical filed / corona arc.

And I wonder if there is a way to know if I ionize the hydrogen peroxide mist at all? And if so, how much do I ionize it (compering to deferent voltages… ).
I mean to do a home experiment to check it, with no sophisticated lab equipment. just to see if I have any effect at all. Thx.

Yair.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

(BTW -- I have deleted your other cross-posts of this question in other forums. Please only post one copy of a new thread. Thank you.)
yair252525 said:
I’m trying to ionize hydrogen peroxide mist with the help of a high voltage electrical filed / corona arc.
Why? What is the purpose of such ionization?
yair252525 said:
I mean to do a home experiment to check it, with no sophisticated lab equipment.
So you don't even have a chemical hood for conducting this experiment? What is your background in chemistry and materials? What lab classes have you taken so far?

Likes jim mcnamara
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

(BTW -- I have deleted your other cross-posts of this question in other forums. Please only post one copy of a new thread. Thank you.)

Why? What is the purpose of such ionization?

So you don't even have a chemical hood for conducting this experiment? What is your background in chemistry and materials? What lab classes have you taken so far?
I don't have any background.
the gas and arc I can make. i just what to know if it is ionizing
or not.

Probably nothing you can do without a specialized equipment.

Likes berkeman
what about measuring the conductivity/ resistance in the air/ mist ? would I see a change?
or an easy way to look at the right spectrum of light to see a change? (when looking at ozone making. we can see a small ching)

You would be measuring something unrelated to the action of the ‘ionized’ mist, namely, the generation of virus-killing reactive hydroxyl radicals. Might be a waste of time.

chemisttree said:
You would be measuring something unrelated to the action of the ‘ionized’ mist, namely, the generation of virus-killing reactive hydroxyl radicals. Might be a waste of time.
thx.
I did not understand why do you think it is a waste of time?
BTY, if I ionized gas- don't I change it electrical filed and by that change its conductivity?

Yeah, sure you would. But measuring ionized air would tell you nothing about how well hydroxyl radicals killed virus. The reported mechanism is that the cold arc generator produces reactive hydroxyl radicals and that they inactivate virus.
Why do you want to measure resistance, capacitance or impedance of ionized air? Got a Theremin laying around you want to use?

Likes berkeman
yair252525 said:
I don't have any background.
So you are not going to be able to duplicate this protocol safely (from the link in post #3):
Therefore, we attempted to disinfect N95 respirators using SteraMist Binary Ionization Technology solution delivered through a SteraMist Surface Unit, registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency [5].

The main constituent is 7.8% H2O2 solution, which is converted to ionized H2O2 (iHP) after passing through a cold plasma arc, and moves like a gas over the surfaces of N95 respirators. The by-product of iHP is oxygen and water in the form of humidity.
The experiment was conducted in a well-ventilated room with six air changes per hour inside a biosafety level 2 microbiology laboratory, with the operator wearing a coverall protective gown.
Since you would not be able to do this experiment safely, we need to close this thread now.

1. What is ionized hydrogen peroxide?

Ionized hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound that has been altered to have a positive or negative charge, making it more reactive and effective as a disinfectant or oxidizer.

2. How is hydrogen peroxide ionized?

Hydrogen peroxide can be ionized through exposure to high temperatures, electricity, or certain catalysts. It can also be ionized by adding certain salts, such as sodium or potassium ions.

3. What are the benefits of ionized hydrogen peroxide?

Ionized hydrogen peroxide is more reactive and has a greater ability to kill bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens compared to regular hydrogen peroxide. It can also be used as a bleaching agent and helps to break down organic compounds.

4. Is ionized hydrogen peroxide safe to use?

When used in appropriate concentrations, ionized hydrogen peroxide is generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and use protective gear when handling it, as it can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system.

5. What are some common applications of ionized hydrogen peroxide?

Ionized hydrogen peroxide is commonly used in medical and healthcare settings as a disinfectant and sterilizing agent. It can also be used in water treatment, food processing, and as a cleaning agent in household and industrial settings.