Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #2,171
I'm guessing that this guy is glad that he wore a hard hat. :oldwink:

Likes Danger and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,172
Danger said:
Get their address from her and mail them an envelope full of sneezing powder... When she "accidentally" strolls in with a bottle of Dristan, her future will be assured. :approve:
I'm already bringing a bag of cold-hard cash, but their lawyers appear not to want it. I just googled "how to bribe a lawyer", but it didn't get me anything (other than the attention of the national security force, probably).

• #2,173
Borg said:
I'm guessing that this guy is glad that he wore a hard hat. :oldwink:
Ouch...! :bugeye:
I certainly admire his response to it, both by his unflappable stature and his use of the opportunity to point out the hazards of the job.

Monique said:
I just googled "how to bribe a lawyer", but it didn't get me anything
With no desire to reference another thread around here, I'll just say that you're in the wrong country for that. :oldwink:

(So... any chance that you're willing to tell me what the hell is going on, even if just by PM? It's difficult to build a war machine on your behalf without knowing what the objective is. :olduhh:)

• #2,174
Monique said:
I'm already bringing a bag of cold-hard cash, but their lawyers appear not to want it. I just googled "how to bribe a lawyer", but it didn't get me anything (other than the attention of the national security force, probably).

A woman with a bag of cold-hard cash, looking for someone to bribeoo), I'm not going to get a wink of sleep tonight :D

• #2,175
I'm thinking about dating my former boss' boss. I can't tell if she likes me or not, but she clearly doesn't not like me.

In other news, I've been playing the flamenco scale on my guitar and I've found an inverse Andalusian cadence, which I define as (5dim, 6#maj, 7min, 1maj). Sounds pretty cool.

• #2,176
Wait, that's (5dim, 6maj, 7min, 1maj). Anyway, go on with the chlorophyll.

• #2,177
Monique:

Likes RonL
  • #2,178
RonL said:
A woman with a bag of cold-hard cash, looking for someone to bribeoo), I'm not going to get a wink of sleep tonight :D
Down, Junior. I already gave her the key to my basement. :oldgrumpy:

David Carroll said:
Bummer... :oldfrown:
I was really loving that song until the last verse when he brought in that Jesus-freak stuff...

• #2,179
That was creepy. I listen to very alternative music. Today, while I was thinking about a data analysis problem, the song that I was listening to started talking about applying mathematical models to data analysis problems... :bugeye: :olduhh: :bugeye:

Likes David Carroll
  • #2,180
Today my boss gave me a very precious present!

• #2,181
Lisa! said:
Let me guess what the present is..., erm... a ticket to go watch a movie with him ? Right ?

• #2,182
Lisa! said:

Me thinks your choice of words are meant to test minds of your audience ;) :p:)

Likes Lisa! and Danger
  • #2,183
Lisa! said:
41TJIMNyhfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Likes Lisa!
  • #2,184
Lisa! said:
:olduhh: Does your husband know?

edit: I just saw the additional posts. Lisa, that has to be absolutely the least efficient design for a chessboard that I've ever seen. :confused:

• #2,185
I am almost certainly the worst cook in the world.

• #2,186
zoobyshoe said:
I am almost certainly the worst cook in the world.

I have sort-of given up on learning how to cook well. There are many things that are available for microwaving that taste amazingly good; I am not likely to learn how to do something better. And if you buy these in bulk they are cheaper than cooking for just one. So I am not likely to derive any significant benefit from spending time learning to be a better cook.

• #2,187
It's a Wonderful Life was on last night. I wish that they would show the lost ending once in a while though. :oldtongue:

• #2,188
15779199220_669d57428a_z.jpg

Likes Astronuc, nuuskur, Lisa! and 3 others
  • #2,189
I hate to-do lists. I always tried to follow people's advice to plan or make long lists to memorize things I promised to do but I could only finish 4/10 at most, the rest I had to do inadvertently were what I hadn't enlisted.

Likes RonL
  • #2,190
Medicol said:
Let me guess what the present is..., erm... a ticket to go watch a movie with him ? Right ?

That's a she and not a lesbian one!:biggrin:

dlgoff said:
41TJIMNyhfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Yeah, that was a book!:)

Likes Medicol and RonL
  • #2,191
Lisa! said:
That's a she and not a lesbian one!:biggrin:Yeah, that was a book!:)

I'm liking this more and more with each post, :nb) don't tell us, let the guesses keep coming :w:D

Edit...I just realized, the book was the correct answer:)

• #2,192
vd7AxJ3.png

Likes Astronuc, Borg, Borek and 3 others
  • #2,193
We knows.
(*cough* Venus *cough*)

• #2,194
Lisa! said:
That's a she and not a lesbian one!
Your photo is my desktop, remember? You could change her mind without breaking a sweat. :oldlove:
By the bye, one of my favourite tricks when I was desperate for sex was to disguise myself as a lesbian and hang out in gay bars. By the time she got me unwrapped at home and realized her mistake, it was too late... :devil:

lisab said:
vd7AxJ3.png
Really? You're going to put that out in public? Who are you and what have you done with Lisa?

• #2,195
One of the funniest moments in a Monty Python film for me was in Life of Brian when the Roman soldier caught the guy writing Latin graffiti and angrily corrected his Latin. No one around me was laughing, while I had a giggle fit, because I am about the last American to have studied Latin. The incident isn't funny unless you're mentally thrown back to being corrected by your teacher for all the errors you make in that weird, ancient language.

• #2,196
zoobyshoe said:
One of the funniest moments in a Monty Python film for me was in Life of Brian when the Roman soldier caught the guy writing Latin graffiti and angrily corrected his Latin. No one around me was laughing, while I had a giggle fit, because I am about the last American to have studied Latin. The incident isn't funny unless you're mentally thrown back to being corrected by your teacher for all the errors you make in that weird, ancient language.

My wife has this taped to the side of our printer, I think it is a reminder that helps her cope with things I say :oops:

"non impediti ratione cogitationis "

Likes Danger and OmCheeto
  • #2,197
RonL said:
My wife has this taped to the side of our printer, I think it is a reminder that helps her cope with things I say :oops:

"non impediti ratione cogitationis "

hmmm... Never heard that one before. Not sure how I would take it.

But I'm still laughing. :DD

• #2,198
OmCheeto said:
hmmm... Never heard that one before. Not sure how I would take it.

But I'm still laughing. :DD
Wait for zoobyshoe's answer, I'm not sure if it will be funny or sad, but as I understand, it fits me pretty well.:nb):D

Ps. The words are Latin, they mean "unencumbered by the thought process" (I think)o_O:)

Last edited:
  • #2,199
Danger said:
Your photo is my desktop, remember? You could change her mind without breaking a sweat. :oldlove:
By the bye, one of my favourite tricks when I was desperate for sex was to disguise myself as a lesbian and hang out in gay bars. By the time she got me unwrapped at home and realized her mistake, it was too late... :devil:Really? You're going to put that out in public? Who are you and what have you done with Lisa?

Are you getting your Lisa girls mixed up :oldconfused::olduhh:

Likes Lisa!
  • #2,200
zoobyshoe said:
Last summer I attended a local theater's rendition of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar". At one point there was this graffiti on one of the set walls:

WE ARE THE XCIX %!

I was the only one in the audience laughing :biggrin:.

Likes Borek
  • #2,201
lisab said:
Last summer I attended a local theater's rendition of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar". At one point there was this graffiti on one of the set walls:

WE ARE THE XCIX %!

Maybe because many in the audience were in the (top) I (Notice that I% = C-XCIX) % ).

Last edited:
  • #2,202
RonL said:
they mean "unencumbered by the thought process" (I think)
Exactly, or as close as any translation can be.

RonL said:
Are you getting your Lisa girls mixed up
You obviously have no idea of how much attention I pay to women. I love the other one too, but given her location and the fact that her name is spelled with a "!" rather than a "b", I think that I can differentiate...

lisab said:
I was the only one in the audience laughing
You wouldn't have been if you had invited me... :oldfrown:

• #2,203
WWGD said:
Maybe because many in the audience were in the (top) I (Notice that I% = C-XCIX) % ).
I took that to mean that they were proud to not be in the Fox News crowd of multi-billionaires who should be fried in their own fat. That's admirable, and the means of expression was clever.

• #2,204
RonL said:
Wait for zoobyshoe's answer, I'm not sure if it will be funny or sad, but as I understand, it fits me pretty well.:nb):D

Ps. The words are Latin, they mean "unencumbered by the thought process" (I think)o_O:)
"Impediti" seems to be the passive perfect plural. So, "We, You, or They, were not impeded (ratione) of thought". But it might also be the future tense, "We, You, Or They, will not be impeded (ratione) of thought."

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?D1=9&T1=impediō&H1=109

"Ratione" is the ablative of ratio. Ratio = "Reckoning, account, reason, judgement, consideration, system, manner, method" The ablative has manifold functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_(Latin)

and I can't definitively sort out why it's used here, but the following prepositions take the ablative case:
  • ab, a -from
  • coram -in the presence of, before
  • cum -with
  • de -down from, from
  • ex, e -out of, from
  • in -in
  • intus -within
  • palam -openly in the presence of
  • prae -in front of, before
  • pro -before
  • procul -far from
  • simul together with, simultaneously with
  • sine -without
  • sub -under
None of these mean "by". Therefore, this phrase might actually mean something like: "We (You, They) were not impeded from the method of thought." Or, "We (You, They) will not be impeded from the method of thought." Like vowing not to let your thinking get cloudy. "Unimpeded by..." is certainly funnier, but choosing meanings based on which seems funnier might get you corrected by a Roman soldier with his gladius at your throat. Latin is exceptionally complex.

• #2,205
lisab said:

WE ARE THE XCIX %!

I'm afraid I wouldn't have gotten it either. I had to google "We are the 99%." just now to figure out the funny.