Is it unprofessional to defer a PhD acceptance for one year?

In summary, the speaker is considering deferring their acceptance to a PhD program at a prestigious university in order to start classes in the Fall of 2011. They are unsure if this is a common occurrence and when the best time to bring it up would be. It is suggested to contact the associate chair or graduate advisor and explain the reasons for deferring as soon as possible. This is a common practice and can be for various reasons such as taking a year off, working to pay off loans, or family reasons. It is not considered unprofessional to defer admission.
Clockward
I was accepted to a PhD program in Materials Science and Engineering at a prestigious university and I find myself reconsidering immediate entry into the program. I am very intent on earning my graduate degrees from this school, but I would prefer to begin classes in the Fall of 2011 if given the option. The school's website FAQ states that deferrals are granted more often then not, for a period of one or two semesters, so the option appears to be there.

However, I am a naive undergrad. For all I know, it is considered a sign of weakness or some other failing to do this. What does the community here think about this issue? I would like to hear some advice. And if it is a fairly common occurrence, then when is the best/worst time to bring up the idea? Should I even go to the graduate school open house? It seems tacky to attend and ask the question there, because at that point they would have spent money on me as an applicant. I could see some ill will growing that might effect next year's admission.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's unprofessional.

Your best bet is to contact the associate chair of the departement responsible for graduate students or the graduate advisor and just tell him or her that you're interested in deferring admission for a year. It happens and students will do this for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they just want a year off. Sometimes they want to work and earn some money to pay off undergraduate loans or give themselves a bit of a cushion as a graduate student. Sometimes they have family reasons.

I would bring it up as soon as possible though. They might be able to offer the spot to someone on a waiting list that way (and then next year they would just have one less spot, as it's already been granted to you).

Related to Is it unprofessional to defer a PhD acceptance for one year?

1. Is it common for students to defer their PhD acceptance for one year?

Yes, it is fairly common for students to defer their PhD acceptance for one year. Many universities and programs have policies in place that allow students to defer their acceptance for various reasons, such as personal or academic reasons.

2. Will deferring my PhD acceptance affect my chances of being accepted in the future?

No, deferring your PhD acceptance for one year should not affect your chances of being accepted in the future. As long as you have a valid reason and communicate with the university or program, they will likely honor your acceptance the following year.

3. Can I defer my PhD acceptance for more than one year?

It depends on the policies of the university or program. Some may allow students to defer for more than one year, while others may have a strict one year limit. It is best to check with the specific institution for their policies.

4. Will I still have to pay tuition if I defer my PhD acceptance for one year?

This may vary depending on the university and program. Some may require you to pay a deposit or a portion of the tuition to secure your spot for the following year, while others may not require any payment. It is important to check with the institution for their policies on tuition and deferral.

5. Can I still work on my research during the year that I defer my PhD acceptance?

This will also depend on the policies of the university or program. Some may allow students to work on their research during the deferral year, while others may not. It is important to communicate with your advisor and the institution to clarify any expectations or limitations during the deferral year.