Is LCM Associative? Tackling the Proof

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    associative
In summary, the conversation is about proving the associative property of the least common multiple operation. The attempt at a solution includes using the fact that LCM(a,b) = |ab|/gcd(a,b) and trying an argument with prime factorization. A hint is given to let x = LCM(a,LCM(b,c)) and y = LCM(LCM(a,b),c) and to show that a, b, and c all divide both x and y. Another hint is provided to use the fact that if a and b divide a number z, then LCM(a,b) divides z. The conversation ends with the realization that the two numbers in question divide each other using this fact alone.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

I need to prove that the least common multiple operation is associative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Pages of crappy algebra trying to use the fact that LCM(a,b) = |ab|/gcd(a,b)

I hate to be "that guy" that doesn't post much of an attempt but I am getting nowhere with this. Maybe a hint or a fact about the LCM that will lead to a proof..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##x = \textrm{LCM}(a,\textrm{LCM}(b,c))## and ##y=\textrm{LCM}(\textrm{LCM}(a,b),c)##.

First, show that ##a## divides both ##x## and ##y##. And the same for ##b## and ##c##. Then show that ##\textrm{LCM}(b,c)## divides ##y## and that ##\textrm{LCM}(a,b)## divides ##x##.

Start with that.

Alright, thank you.

I am currently trying an argument with prime factorization that seems... reasonable, but I will try this too.

I'm trying to use the fact that if ##a## divides a number ##z## and if ##b## divides a number ##z##, then ##\textrm{LCM}(a,b)## divides ##z##. Do you know this fact? Try to prove it.

Oh, I think I got you. They divide each other using that property (nearly) alone.

1. What is the definition of LCM?

The Least Common Multiple (LCM) of two or more numbers is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by all of them.

2. Why is it important to prove that LCM is associative?

Proving that LCM is associative helps to establish the validity of using LCM as a mathematical operation. It also allows us to use LCM in more complex mathematical equations with confidence.

3. How do you prove that LCM is associative?

To prove that LCM is associative, we need to show that for any three numbers a, b, and c, the LCM of (LCM of a and b) and c is equal to the LCM of a and (LCM of b and c). This can be done using the prime factorization method or by using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

4. Can you provide an example of proving LCM is associative?

Let's take the numbers 12, 18, and 24. The LCM of (LCM of 12 and 18) and 24 is the LCM of 36 and 24, which is 72. The LCM of 12 and (LCM of 18 and 24) is also 72. This example shows that the order in which we group the numbers for the LCM operation does not affect the final result, proving that LCM is indeed associative.

5. Why is it important to understand the properties of LCM?

Understanding the properties of LCM allows us to solve problems involving multiple numbers efficiently. It also helps us to simplify complex mathematical equations and make them more manageable. Additionally, the properties of LCM are used in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics.