Is man-made leather generally safe or dangerous?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
In summary: The fact is the plastic you mentioned used in toys or cellphones don't have any unpleasant smell (most of the time), I never had a cellphone or toy inmy life that were smelly. However, it's very common and easy that you canfind unpleasant odor coming from synthetic / faux leather, some very strong,some not very strong but still easily detected
kenny1999
Hello all. I'm asking these questions out of worries, they are not homework,
I have already left school for decades. Because I have so many concerns about this topic so I am trying to break it down into questions without boring you with a long story.

1. How many types of man-made leather (for clothing) ?

2. Do they often have fairly the same composition but only a slight variation? Or
could they vary a lot?

3. I have been hearing that man-made or faux leather could be hazardous to health.

4. Are the risks due to the chemical itself or other chemicals / addictives used
in the manufacturing process?

5. Do the risks naturally exist because of the nature of the chemicals itself or do they only exist if it's manufactured by inappropriate or illegal process?

6. Is there any sign that we can determine if it's a "risky" leather? Many people said that to check if it has strong and unpleasant smell. Is it true?
Does the extent of the smell reflect the risk of the leather?

7. Is there anything we can do to eliminate or reduce the possible risks that
come from the man-made / faux leather products?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:
3. I have been hearing that man-made or faux leather could be hazardous to health.
You have been at the PF long enough to know that "I have heard" is not considered a valid reference in the technical forums. Please provide some links to what you have been reading. Thank you.

Is man-made leather generally safe or dangerous?

It's much safer for the cow, that's for sure.

• Haha
Likes phinds, BillTre, russ_watters and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
It's much safer for the cow, that's for sure.

How about man-made leather

Likes russ_watters
kenny1999 said:
How about man-made leather
You didn't answer my question:
berkeman said:
You have been at the PF long enough to know that "I have heard" is not considered a valid reference in the technical forums. Please provide some links to what you have been reading. Thank you.

First off, man-made leather can be:
From wikpedia, not the perfect source
Also commonly known as faux leather, pleather or synthetic leather, man-made leather is commonly made from polyvinyl chloride, called PVC, and polyurethane, called PU leather. Sheets of these polymers are heat-stamped with an artificial leather grain to make them look like leather.
So.
Your living space has furniture and kitchen finishes with made Polyurethane. PVC and other polymers are in household products, cell phones, earbuds, and so on. No plastic == no modern technology, pretty much.

So, if man-made leather is bad for you, then you are already doomed by previous exposure to those same plastic polymers. Your house and furniture plus finishes and paints, and lots of the toys you played with, not to mention cell phone cases, should have killed you and me off long ago. And I'm limping up on towards 80.

Please tell us where you got this from. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me, which PF does not support.

Likes berkeman
jim mcnamara said:
First off, man-made leather can be:
From wikpedia, not the perfect source

So.
Your living space has furniture and kitchen finishes with made Polyurethane. PVC and other polymers are in household products, cell phones, earbuds, and so on. No plastic == no modern technology, pretty much.

So, if man-made leather is bad for you, then you are already doomed by previous exposure to those same plastic polymers. Your house and furniture plus finishes and paints, and lots of the toys you played with, not to mention cell phone cases, should have killed you and me off long ago. And I'm limping up on towards 80.

Please tell us where you got this from. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me, which PF does not support.
The fact is the plastic you mentioned used in toys or cellphones don't have
any unpleasant smell (most of the time), I never had a cellphone or toy in
my life that were smelly. However, it's very common and easy that you can
find unpleasant odor coming from synthetic / faux leather, some very strong,
some not very strong but still easily detected

Okay since you do not seem to cite your source we cannot help you. Thread closed.

Likes Tom.G

1. Is man-made leather made from real animal skin?

No, man-made leather, also known as synthetic leather or faux leather, is made from synthetic materials such as polyurethane or PVC. It does not involve the use of animal skin.

2. Is man-made leather environmentally friendly?

It depends on the production process and materials used. Some types of man-made leather, such as those made from recycled materials, can be more environmentally friendly than real leather. However, some production methods may involve the use of harmful chemicals.

3. Is man-made leather more durable than real leather?

It depends on the quality and type of man-made leather. Generally, real leather is known to be more durable and long-lasting, but high-quality man-made leather can also be very durable. It is important to check the quality and care instructions of the specific type of man-made leather.

4. Is man-made leather safe for people with allergies?

Yes, man-made leather is generally considered hypoallergenic and safe for people with allergies to animal skin. However, some people may have allergies to the synthetic materials used in man-made leather, so it is important to check the materials and consult with a doctor if you have any concerns.

5. Is man-made leather safe for the environment?

Again, it depends on the production process and materials used. Some types of man-made leather can be more environmentally friendly than real leather, as it does not involve the use of animal skin. However, some production methods may involve the use of harmful chemicals that can be damaging to the environment.