Is mapsnow.co a Virus? Safety Guide & Apt Info

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary,In this conversation, the user installed mapsnow.co on their computer, and is concerned because there are many websites that say the application is malware. Malwarebytes was used to scan the computer and nothing was found, but the user is still concerned. Windows System Restore was also tried and it didn't work. It is best to uninstall the application.
yungman
I installed mapsnow.co on my computer, is that a virus or just an apt?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Go to settings->Home

Adjust your home page as desired. about:blank is what you want for a blank page.

BoB

Likes yungman
yungman said:
I installed mapsnow.co on my computer, is that a virus or just an apt?
If you do a search for mapsnow.co, there are quite a few links to pages saying that it is at least malware.

Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
If you do a search for mapsnow.co, there are quite a few links to pages saying that it is at least malware.
Thanks, I went to Control Panel, program and setting, I cannot find the mapsnow to uninstall. How do I uninstall it?

yungman said:
Thanks, I went to Control Panel, program and setting, I cannot find the mapsnow to uninstall. How do I uninstall it?
If you can't find it in Programs and Features, under Control Panel, I'd advise downloading Malwarebytes. They have a trial version that is free, as well as a premium version. Go to malwarebytes.com to download the app, and then use it to scan your system.

Likes QuantumQuest and Wrichik Basu
Mark44 said:
Some websites say that it is a browser hijacker. First, the application will change the homepage, and will prevent any changes by the user. Next, it will collect the browsing habits and send it to their server, and then these will be shared with third parties, who may misuse it.

@yungman it seems that you have installed a browser extension. Is that so? If not, then do as suggested by Mark44 in post #5. Otherwise try to go to the extensions in chrome and remove it completely.

Likes QuantumQuest
Mark44 said:
If you can't find it in Programs and Features, under Control Panel, I'd advise downloading Malwarebytes. They have a trial version that is free, as well as a premium version. Go to malwarebytes.com to download the app, and then use it to scan your system.
Thanks for your suggestion. I ran Norton Power Eraser, I then downloaded Malwarebytes and did the scanning, nothing came up! Could it be it's legitimate? I reset my Firefox and got back my page already and I can still open Mapsnow.

yungman said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I ran Norton Power Eraser, I then downloaded Malwarebytes and did the scanning, nothing came up! Could it be it's legitimate? I reset my Firefox and got back my page already and I can still open Mapsnow.
It's not legitimate; it's a browser hijacker.

A simple way to get rid of it would be to run Windows System Restore (rstrui.exe from the command prompt will start the gui) from the last restore point before you installed it.

That would lose any other product installs you've run since then, but your data, including any downloads (presumably including the culprit install file and associated other files in an inactive state), wouldn't be impacted. Essentially, Windows System Restore swaps your current registry hive files for an older backup set, and if you don't like the result, it can be undone. If you run it, use a reliable power supply, because it can mess things up if it gets interrupted mid-stream.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Nik_2213
yungman said:

Malwarebytes usually does a fairly good job in addition to the regular antivirus software installed but it's common to not recognize mapsnow.co as a threat. Resetting browser settings may temporarily fix things but the problem is still there. So, it's best to uninstall Maps Now. If, for any reason, you can't find it then you can proceed as @sysprog said.

1. Is mapsnow.co a virus?

No, mapsnow.co is not a virus. It is a legitimate website that provides mapping services. However, some users have reported that the site may redirect to other websites without permission, which can be a security concern.

2. How do I know if mapsnow.co is safe to use?

As with any website, it is important to exercise caution when using mapsnow.co. Make sure to have updated antivirus software and use a secure internet connection. If you notice any suspicious activity or pop-ups, it is best to avoid using the site.

3. Can mapsnow.co harm my computer?

There is no evidence that mapsnow.co can directly harm your computer. However, as mentioned earlier, the site may redirect to other websites that could potentially contain viruses or malware. It is important to use caution when using the site and have proper security measures in place.

4. Is it safe to enter personal information on mapsnow.co?

It is not recommended to enter personal information on mapsnow.co. As with any website, there is a risk of your information being compromised. If you must enter personal information, make sure you are using a secure connection and the website has a valid SSL certificate.

5. What should I do if I suspect that mapsnow.co is a virus?

If you suspect that mapsnow.co is a virus or has caused any harm to your computer, it is best to run a full scan with your antivirus software and remove any threats. You can also report the website to your antivirus provider or malware removal service for further investigation.