Is my answer correct? (Mesh Currents)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter REEEEEEEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a circuit problem and another person providing guidance and advice. The person seeking help is struggling with their writing and has an unreadable image in their solution. They also have a different value for I2 and are asked to check their work. The person providing guidance emphasizes the importance of checking work and not relying on others to do the work for them. They suggest writing down circuit values and using KCL and KVL to solve the problem.
REEEEEEEE
Homework Statement
a) Determine the power
dissipated in resistor R6 using
one of the systematic methods to your
choice (nodes method or method
of the meshes). I chose mesh

Data:

Circuit data:
R1 = 2kohm; R2 = 4kohm; R3 = 2kohm;
R4 = 5kohm; R5 = 1kohm; R6 = 3kohm;
V1 = 30V; V2 = 10V; IS = 10mA
Relevant Equations
p=I^2*R
V=RI
Hello I am solving the following circuit bellow on the homework statement terms I will leave also my resolution as a png And appologise in advance i my writing is hard to read

Captura de ecrã 2021-12-01 115002.png

My solution:
IMG-3298.JPG
IMG-3299.JPG

Can you tell me if I am on the right track or help me get there?
Your help time and attention are deeply appreciated .
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The image is unreadable in the center area. You are going to need to fix that. I can make out that you are claiming that I2 is -10 mA. Why is it negative?

I got a different value, based on different methods. Then I checked to see if I was correct (see below), because we all make mistakes.

I haven't checked your work because it's not worth the effort. If you want volunteers to help you, try harder to do the work you can do yourself. I'll comment on circuit analysis, but I won't do the image editing instead of you.

Also, if you ever intend to work in STEM fields, you need to learn not just to solve problems, but also to check your work. Now that you think you know some of the circuit values, write them down on the schematic and work the problem backwards. Do the currents all cancel at the nodes (like KCL says), do the voltages around the loops all sum to zero (like KVL)?

Likes Tom.G

1. How do I know if my calculated mesh currents are correct?

One way to check if your calculated mesh currents are correct is by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage rises in that same loop. If your calculated mesh currents satisfy KVL, then they are most likely correct.

2. What can I do if my calculated mesh currents do not satisfy KVL?

If your calculated mesh currents do not satisfy KVL, it could be due to a mistake in your calculations or a wrong assumption about the circuit. Double check your calculations and make sure all the circuit elements are correctly labeled. If you still cannot find the error, try using a different method of analysis, such as nodal analysis.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should calculate the mesh currents?

There is no specific order in which you should calculate the mesh currents. However, it is recommended to start with the most complicated mesh and work your way towards the simpler ones. This can help avoid mistakes and make the calculations easier.

4. Can I use mesh currents to solve any type of circuit?

Mesh currents can be used to solve any circuit that can be represented as a network of interconnected loops. However, they are most commonly used in circuits with multiple voltage sources and current sources.

5. How many mesh currents do I need to calculate to solve a circuit?

The number of mesh currents needed to solve a circuit depends on the number of independent loops in the circuit. For a circuit with N independent loops, you will need N mesh currents to fully solve the circuit. However, in some cases, you may be able to combine certain loops and reduce the number of required mesh currents.