Is My Blender Motor Viable for a Rotary Tool Shaft Mod?

In summary, a person had a new Ninja blender that was not working and they found a blog post on hackaday that showed a way to use the motor for a different application. They have questions about how to tell if the motor is brushed or brushless, how to test the motor, and if the motor is viable for their intended use. They also mention the possibility of using the motor for a pedal powered generator. They provide pictures and ask for additional information if needed. Lastly, they mention possible issues with the power cord, capacitor, and circuit boards if the motor is not functioning at all. They also suggest troubleshooting and drawing a schematic diagram for further understanding.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
How can I test and repurpose a consumer kitchen motor with limited information?
I got a new Ninja blender (model ss351) a few months back that was DOA. The manufacturer sent a replacement immediately, but I found a blog post on hackaday showing a simple mechanical mod that would enable me to use the motor to drive a flexible rotary tool shaft (Dremel etc). The attached images are the motor, the control board and the power board. The purple wire to the control board is directly from the wall outlet.

Simple questions;

How can I tell if the motor is brushed or brushless without disassembling it any further?

How can I test the motor itself to make sure it wasn't the specific component that failed? Will simply driving it from a bench psu do it? What minimun V/I?

Is this motor viable for this application? Optimally, I'd like continuous speed/torque control with a foot pedal. I'm not scared of building a circuit from scratch (_yet_).

If not viable, can I use it for a pedal powered generator?

I can link to the hackaday post and the rotary tool shaft if necessary. Also, obviously please let me know if additional pictures are needed.

Thanks so much in advance

JoePS - the motor pic with my thumb in it is odly distorted. The plastic disc on top is at least 4x the size of my thumb and the plastic cylinder immediately below the ziptie is about half the size of my thumb.

Attachments

• blender_motor.jpg
    blender_motor.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 108
  • blender_control.jpg
    blender_control.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 110
  • motor_a.jpg
    motor_a.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 113
  • motor_b.jpg
    motor_b.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 122
  • blender_power_board.jpg
    blender_power_board.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 121
Physics news on Phys.org
Very unlikely that the motor has brushes. Here are some images of motors with brushes.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...r+in+dc+motor&gbv=2&oq=brushes+and+commutator

Is there ANY activity at all when you turn it on?... Motor humming, any LEDs (lights) coming on?

1) If not,
Could be a bad power cord.
check that incoming power is getting to board(s).​
trace wiring from power cord to any switch, fuse, or connector to first board it connects to​

2) If motor hums but doesn't turn AND there are three wires to the motor AND there is a somewhat large capacitor (usually not mounted on a circuit board), the capacitor should be connected to the motor and a circuit board.

2A) Verify its wiring to motor, it is Usually connected to two motor wires, and one of those motor wires will connect only to the capacitor and the other motor wire will also connect to other circuits on the circuit board.​
2B) If the capacitor exists, it may be wired to a circuit board and connected to the motor by the board.​
2B1) the capacitor could be defective, or may be an open connection to, or in, the motor.​

3) If the motor does not hum, everything completely dead:
There is probably a bad component on, or bad connection to, a circuit board. This will require detailed troubleshooting on your part, the first step of which is close visual inspection of the boards and all connectors.​
3A) Then you draw a schematic diagram of the circuitry to understand its intended operation and start troubleshooting at the component level.​

Cheers, (and good luck!)
Tom

1. Can I use any blender motor for a rotary tool shaft mod?

It is not recommended to use any blender motor for a rotary tool shaft mod. The motor needs to have enough power and torque to handle the additional load and speed of a rotary tool. It is best to consult with a professional or do research to find a suitable motor for the mod.

2. How do I know if my blender motor is viable for a rotary tool shaft mod?

There are a few factors to consider when determining if your blender motor is viable for a rotary tool shaft mod. These include the motor's power and torque ratings, its speed range, and the compatibility of its shaft with the rotary tool. It is best to consult with a professional or do research to determine if your blender motor is suitable for the mod.

3. What modifications do I need to make to my blender motor for the rotary tool shaft mod?

The modifications needed for a rotary tool shaft mod will depend on the specific blender motor and rotary tool being used. In general, you will need to attach a shaft adapter or coupler to connect the motor's shaft to the rotary tool's shaft. You may also need to adjust the motor's speed control or add a speed controller for the rotary tool. It is best to consult with a professional or do research to determine the specific modifications needed for your setup.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a blender motor for a rotary tool shaft mod?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when using a blender motor for a rotary tool shaft mod. The motor may not have the necessary safety features, such as overload protection or thermal cut-off, to handle the increased load and speed of a rotary tool. It is important to use caution and follow proper safety precautions when using any modified equipment.

5. Can I reverse the mod and use the blender motor for blending again?

It is not recommended to reverse the mod and use the blender motor for blending again. The modifications made for the rotary tool shaft may affect the motor's performance and safety for blending. It is best to use the motor solely for the rotary tool or invest in a new blender motor for blending purposes.