Is My ECG Circuit Set Up Correctly with Virtual Ground and Electrodes?

• Thread starter bour1992
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the user is trying to create a simple ecg/emg acquisition circuit using active and passive electrodes, a LM7805 supply, and a TLE2426 virtual ground. However, the output from the INA118 to an oscilloscope is not showing any useful information. The user suspects that the issue may be due to using the circuit with a single supply in a non-traditional way. They also mention that the specified voltage range may be too low for this circuit.
bour1992
Hello, I am trying to make a simple ecg/emg acquisition circuit.

I am using 2 of these https://www.olimex.com/Products/EEG/Electrodes/EEG-AE/ active electrodes for the differential signal and this https://www.olimex.com/Products/EEG/Electrodes/EEG-PE/ as a passive DRL electrode.

My supply is the 5V output of a LM7805 and I create a virtual ground at 2.5V using the TLE2426.
This is what I have built in a breadborad.
I connect the output of the INA118 to an oscilloscope but nothing usefull is shown.

Do you see anything wrong in it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry --- deleted my post after you replied. LOL

Actually, You are using it with a single supply in a weird way. I have no idea what will happen or what you are doing wrong. Sorry.

I am using a theoretical ground at 2.5V so that we have a positive voltage supply +2.5V and a negative -2.5V.

It's specified for + and - 15V, so I expect 2.5V is far too little.

I understand virtual ground. It's the subtleties of the electrode circuit I can't visualize. For example their Fig 9 shows gain to the RL electrode. I don't know enough about the signals to understand what your circuit might see differently.

What is an ECG circuit?

An ECG circuit is an electronic circuit that measures and records the electrical activity of the heart. It is commonly used in medical settings to diagnose and monitor heart conditions.

What are the common problems that can occur in an ECG circuit?

Some common problems that can occur in an ECG circuit include interference from other electrical devices, damaged or faulty components, and incorrect placement of electrodes on the body.

How can interference from other electrical devices affect an ECG circuit?

Interference from other electrical devices, such as cell phones or power lines, can cause inaccurate readings on an ECG circuit. This interference can disrupt the electrical signals from the heart, leading to distorted or false readings.

What are the signs of a damaged or faulty component in an ECG circuit?

Signs of a damaged or faulty component in an ECG circuit may include inconsistent or abnormal readings, equipment malfunctions, or sudden shutdowns. It is important to regularly check and maintain the components of an ECG circuit to ensure accurate results.

How can incorrect placement of electrodes affect an ECG circuit?

The placement of electrodes is crucial for accurate readings on an ECG circuit. Incorrect placement can result in distorted or incorrect readings, as the electrical signals from the heart may not be properly detected. It is important to follow proper placement guidelines and double-check electrode placement before recording an ECG.