Is my interpretation of the Atwood's Machine problem correct?

• Thread starter KingBreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: Assuming the object is higher, the tension on the left side is greater than the tension on the right side.
KingBreak
Homework Statement
A mass M1 is suspended from one end of a rope which is guided over a roller A. The other end carries a second roller of mass M2 that carries a rope with the masses m1 and m2 attached to its ends. The gravitational force is acting on all masses. Calculate the acceleration of the masses m1 and m2 as well as the tension T1 to show that (look at picture)

i've tried to solve by calculating the acceleration on mass m3, but it didn't go well (perhaps my algebra isn't that good lol)... is it possible to solve using a3 ? and if not, how do i solve by calculating a1,a2,t1?

my notation: m1=m1, m2=m2, M1=m3, M2=m4, T1 = T1, T= T2
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Screenshot_2.png

My Attempt to solve the problem
image (2).png
image (3).png
image.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the subscripts are impossible to read in your images. Please post algebra as typed in, per forum rules. Images are for diagrams and textbook extracts.
Your equation (4) seems to assume M2 is not accelerating.

I note that the diagram supplied with the question shows T1 both sides of M2. That looks like a blunder. Assuming M2 has uniformly distributed mass, and the rope does not slip on the pulleys, the rotational inertia of M2 leads to a computably different tension each side. (The radius is irrelevant.)
Likewise A, but in that case we are not given its mass.

Likes KingBreak
haruspex said:
I note that the diagram supplied with the question shows T1 both sides of M2. That looks like a blunder. Assuming M2 has uniformly distributed mass, and the rope does not slip on the pulleys, the rotational inertia of M2 leads to a computably different tension each side. (The radius is irrelevant.)
Likewise A, but in that case we are not given its mass.
According to my calculations, the final formula, as well as the original figure, work out correctly if you assume that the pulley [itex] M_2 [/itex] has all its mass concentrated in its center. In other words, yes, the pulley has mass, but it has zero moment of inertia. There's no need to worry about angular acceleration and such for this problem.

@KingBreak, Welcome to PF! :welcome:

To get you started, you'll first need to form 6 simultaneous equations. From the looks of your work, I think you only started with 4 equations. There are additional constraints that you can use to your advantage. One is a constraint between [itex] m_3 [/itex] and [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] M_1 [/itex] and [itex] M_2 [/itex] using your coursework notation). The other constraint is between [itex] m_1, m_2 [/itex] and [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] m_1, m_2, [/itex] and [itex] M_2 [/itex] using the coursework notation). [Edit: also, as @haruspex pointed out, you seem to have treated [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] M_2 [/itex] using your coursework's notation) as stationary. It is not. That pulley can accelerate linearly too. You'll need to fix that.]

Also, I think that [itex] e [/itex] with the up-arrow ([itex] \uparrow e [/itex]) might be trying to tell you that your instructor wants up to be the positive direction. It looks to me in your equations that you chose down as the positive direction. You should probably change that to be consistent with the course-work's intentions. It shouldn't change the final answer, but leaving down as positive might make it more difficult for your instructor to follow your work.

Then, by using you favorite method of eliminating variables, you'll need to eliminate [itex] a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4, [/itex] and [itex] T_1 [/itex]. You'll need to eliminate these variables carefully such that you leave only [itex] T [/itex], the masses, and [itex] g [/itex] in the final equation.

I won't sugar-coat it for you, there is a lot of algebra in this problem. But it is possible (at least according to my calculations).

Last edited:
Likes KingBreak and Delta2
collinsmark said:
if you assume that the pulley M2 has all its mass concentrated in its center
Sure, but that unexpected circumstance should be stated, not left to be inferred from the variable labels in a diagram. That's why I say it looks like a blunder; the problem setter seems not to have considered it.

Likes KingBreak
collinsmark said:
@KingBreak, Welcome to PF! :welcome:

To get you started, you'll first need to form 6 simultaneous equations. From the looks of your work, I think you only started with 4 equations. There are additional constraints that you can use to your advantage. One is a constraint between [itex] m_3 [/itex] and [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] M_1 [/itex] and [itex] M_2 [/itex] using your coursework notation). The other constraint is between [itex] m_1, m_2 [/itex] and [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] m_1, m_2, [/itex] and [itex] M_2 [/itex] using the coursework notation). [Edit: also, as @haruspex pointed out, you seem to have treated [itex] m_4 [/itex] (or [itex] M_2 [/itex] using your coursework's notation) as stationary. It is not. That pulley can accelerate linearly too. You'll need to fix that.]
Thank you, Sir!😁

i don't know if I'm doing this right, but i found these other two equations from the relation between accelerations. Is it correct ?
image (4).png

KingBreak said:
Thank you, Sir!😁

i don't know if I'm doing this right, but i found these other two equations from the relation between accelerations. Is it correct ?View attachment 286115
It's not possible to verify your equations without knowing how your variables are defined. Looks like you are taking some accelerations as positive up and others as positive down.

Likes collinsmark
haruspex said:
Looks like you are taking some accelerations as positive up and others as positive down.
I don't have much information, so I'm assuming that if the object is higher than the one to the side, that means it's accelerating upwards.

6.png

One way to test if your final formulas are correct is to put ##M_2=0## and see if they give the expected results.
If ##M_2=0## then the expected results are ##T=2T_1##, ##a_1=-a_2## and $$T_1=\frac{2gm_1m_2}{m_1+m_2}$$

KingBreak said:
I don't have much information, so I'm assuming that if the object is higher than the one to the side, that means it's accelerating upwards.

View attachment 286120
Which way you define as positive for an acceleration, force, velocity or displacement is separate from which way you expect it to move. With all the motions of interest being vertical, it is convenient to define upwards as positive for all.
From your equations involving the tensions, it looks like you have a2 and a4 as positive up and a1 and a3 positive down. If so, reconsider your a3=-a4.

1. What is the Atwood's Machine problem?

The Atwood's Machine problem is a classic physics problem that involves two masses connected by a string over a pulley. The problem asks for the acceleration of the masses and the tension in the string.

2. What is the correct interpretation of the Atwood's Machine problem?

The correct interpretation of the Atwood's Machine problem is to understand that the two masses experience equal and opposite forces due to the tension in the string. This results in an acceleration of the masses towards each other.

3. How do I solve the Atwood's Machine problem?

To solve the Atwood's Machine problem, you can use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) to set up and solve equations for the forces acting on the masses. You can also use conservation of energy to determine the acceleration and tension in the string.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving the Atwood's Machine problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving the Atwood's Machine problem include not considering the direction of the forces, not accounting for the mass of the pulley, and not using the correct equations for acceleration and tension.

5. How can I check if my interpretation of the Atwood's Machine problem is correct?

You can check if your interpretation of the Atwood's Machine problem is correct by comparing your solution to the problem with the known correct solution. You can also ask a teacher or peer to review your work and provide feedback.