Is My Servo Motor Calculated Correctly for My Gearbox?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the motor horsepower for a gearbox that is rated based on input horsepower rather than input torque. The formula for this calculation is Torque * RPM / 63025 = Horsepower. The motor runs at 1500 RPM and has a stall torque of 92 in-lbs, resulting in a horsepower of 2.19. The question is whether a gearbox rated for 2.5HP or greater would be suitable for this motor. The expert confirms that the calculation is correct, but notes that they only work in SI units and suggests using a safety margin for continuous use.
SevenToFive
I am running into a minor snag and would like to know if I am going in the right direction or not. Most gearbox catalogs rate everything for input HP rather than input torque. Would I be able to calculate the motor HP by rearranging the Torque(in-lb) = HP*63025 / rpm, or in this case Torque*rpm/63025=HP
Motor runs at 1500rpm, has a stall torque of 92in-lbs.

92in-lbs*1500rpm/63025 = 2.19HP. So if the gearbox is rated for 2.5HP or greater the motor would be okay to use.
Am I on the right path or lost in the woods?

Thanks to those who reply.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes.

Power = torque * angular velocity

But I only work in SI units.

1500rpm = 157 rads/S
92 in-lbf = 10.4 Nm

Power in Watts = 157 * 10.4
= 1633W
= 2.2HP approx.

PS: I don't know what safety margin to use. If the system will be run at 2.2HP continuously make sure the gearbox rating is also "continuous" and the life at that load is predicted to be long enough.

Likes SevenToFive

1. How does a servo motor work in a gearbox?

A servo motor is a type of motor that uses a closed-loop control system to accurately control its position, speed, and torque. In a gearbox, the servo motor is connected to the input shaft and its rotational movement is transferred to the output shaft through the gears. The motor receives signals from a control system and adjusts its position and speed accordingly to achieve precise movement of the output shaft.

2. What are the advantages of using a servo motor in a gearbox?

The use of a servo motor in a gearbox allows for precise and accurate movement of the output shaft. It also has a high torque-to-inertia ratio, meaning it can produce high levels of torque while maintaining a small size and weight. Additionally, servo motors have a wide speed range and can operate at various speeds without sacrificing accuracy.

3. Can a servo motor be used in any type of gearbox?

Yes, servo motors can be used in a variety of gearboxes including spur, helical, planetary, and worm gearboxes. However, the selection of the specific motor and gearbox combination should be based on the specific application requirements and the torque, speed, and precision needed.

4. How is the servo motor connected to the gearbox?

The servo motor is typically connected to the gearbox input shaft using a coupling or shaft adapter. This allows for a direct connection between the motor and the gearbox, ensuring efficient transfer of power and precise control of the output shaft.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a servo motor for a gearbox?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a servo motor for a gearbox include the required torque and speed, the size and weight constraints, the operating environment, and the level of precision needed. It is also important to ensure that the motor and gearbox are compatible and can work together effectively to achieve the desired performance.