Is my summation notation correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses summation notation and provides examples of how to solve for the sum of a series. The speaker asks for confirmation on their solutions and is reassured that they are correct. The conversation also explains the purpose of the index in summation notation and how it determines the number of terms in the series.
Lo.Lee.Ta.
It has been a while since I've had to figure out summation notation.
Would you please look through my solutions, and tell me if they're correct?
Thank you so much! :)
1a.

Ʃ 1/6 = ?
i=1

1/6 + 1/6 + 1/6 + 1/6 + 1/6 +1/6 = 6/6 = 1

What makes me doubt my answer is that it seems like the i=1 was for nothing...

If the summation was for i/6, though, would this be correct?

(1/6) + (2/6) + (3/6) + (4/6) + (5/6) + (6/6) = 21/6 = 7/2

And if the summation were written like this:

Ʃ i/6 = ?
i=3

Would this be correct? (3/6) + (4/6) + (5/6) + (6/6) = 18/6 = 3

1b.

Ʃ 1/10 = ?
i=1

(1/10)*10 = 10/10 = 1

1c.

Ʃ 1/100 = (1/100)*100 = 100/100 = 1
i=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me.

Oh, okay. Thank you! :)

Lo.Lee.Ta said:
What makes me doubt my answer is that it seems like the i=1 was for nothing...
No, it serves a purpose. The index i doesn't explicitly appear in each term, but i = 1 gives the starting value of the index, and 6 gives the ending value. That says that there are 6 terms in the summation (6 - 1 + 1).

In this summation ## \sum_{n = 3}^{25} n^2##, there are 25 - 3 + 1 = 23 terms.

Related to Is my summation notation correct?

1. How do I know if my summation notation is correct?

The best way to check if your summation notation is correct is to break it down into smaller parts and see if each part makes sense. Start by identifying the upper and lower limits of the summation, then look at the expression being summed. Make sure the variables and constants are correct and in the right order. Also, check for any errors in the index of summation, such as using the wrong variable or starting at the wrong value. If everything checks out, then your summation notation is likely correct.

2. What are the most common mistakes people make when writing summation notation?

One of the most common mistakes is using the wrong variable in the index of summation. Another mistake is starting at the wrong value or using the wrong upper or lower limit. Additionally, people often forget to include the "dx" or "dy" at the end of the expression being summed, which indicates the variable of integration. It is also important to be consistent with the notation used, such as using either "n" or "i" as the index of summation, but not both.

3. Can I use summation notation for any type of series?

No, summation notation is only used for certain types of series, specifically those that can be expressed as an infinite sum of terms. These include arithmetic series, geometric series, and power series. It is important to understand the pattern or rule behind the series in order to properly write it in summation notation.

4. Is there a difference between upper and lower case summation notation?

Yes, there is a difference between upper and lower case summation notation. Upper case sigma notation (Σ) is used to represent a sum of a finite number of terms, while lower case sigma notation (σ) is used to represent a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is important to use the correct notation depending on the type of series being represented.

5. Can I use summation notation to solve a problem?

Summation notation is a useful tool for representing series, but it is not a method for solving problems. It is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind the series in order to solve problems involving summation notation. Summation notation is simply a concise and organized way to represent a series, but it does not provide a method for finding the solution.