Is nuclear fission a quantum fluctuation

In summary: This is for radioactive decay. I thought you were asking if fission could be modeled this way.It could, but the nuclear models that are used to predict which nuclei are fissile (and which can spontaneously fission) are not really quantum models (the liquid drop model, for example). So it's not statistical probability that a fissile nucleus just does it's thing every now and then.
rootone
Nuclei of unstable isotopes spontaneously fission in a way that is measured in half-life.
So for a particular nucleus at a given time, it is a probability of some amount, thus is a QM fluctuation?
Then what is going on in reactors which in effect modify the nucleus half life by introducing extra neutrons.
Will an atom of a fissile isotope never actually fission if were contained in a field free of neutrons, (and neutrinos, etc)

Physics news on Phys.org
rootone said:
Nuclei of unstable isotopes spontaneously fission in a way that is measured in half-life.

No, they don't. They are radioactive in a way that is measured in half-life. But the term "fission" does not refer to radioactivity. It refers to something else. See below.

rootone said:
what is going on in reactors which in effect modify the nucleus half life by introducing extra neutrons.

The neutrons interact with the nucleus and cause it to fission. There is no half-life associated with this because it is not a spontaneous process; it would not happen in the absence of the extra neutrons.

rootone said:
Will an atom of a fissile isotope never actually fission if were contained in a field free of neutrons, (and neutrinos, etc)

No, it would not.

Likes bhobba
So it's not statistical probability that a fissile nucleus just does it's thing every now and then.
There has to be interaction with other particles of some kind?

rootone said:
So it's not statistical probability that a fissile nucleus just does it's thing every now and then.

Yes.

Is that true even of the spontaneous fission that is observed in, for example, californium?

Nugatory said:
Is that true even of the spontaneous fission that is observed in, for example, californium?

For some of the artificial trans-uranic elements, spontaneous fission is actually possible with a non-negligible probability. But none of these are used in reactors, and the term "fissile isotope" is not used (AFAIK) to refer to them.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
For some of the artificial trans-uranic elements, spontaneous fission is actually possible with a non-negligible probability. But none of these are used in reactors, and the term "fissile isotope" is not used (AFAIK) to refer to them.
And as far as the question in the thread title is concerned... we wouldn't describe spontaneous fission as "a quantum fluctuation".

Nugatory said:
we wouldn't describe spontaneous fission as "a quantum fluctuation".

I wouldn't, but the OP might have simply meant "a quantum mechanical effect". Although even that is not cut and dried, since some of the nuclear models that are used to predict which nuclei are fissile (and which can spontaneously fission) are not really quantum models (the liquid drop model, for example).

Likes bhobba
rootone said:

PeterDonis said:
Yes.

Note, however, that there is statistical probability involved in the interaction between a fissile nucleus and a neutron that passes by. This is where the concept of cross section comes in. It's not a geometrical concept, even though it has units of area and has a geometrical analogue. It's a probabilistic concept.

Likes bhobba
jtbell said:
there is statistical probability involved in the interaction between a fissile nucleus and a neutron that passes by. This is where the concept of cross section comes in

Hm, good point. Even here, though, I don't know that the models used to predict cross sections are quantum models. The ones I remember from nuclear engineering classes in college were basically classical.

Isn't it a tunnelling problem?

Jilang said:

Theoretically I suppose you could try modeling it that way; I just don't know that anyone has ever been able to actually do that and make predictions that match what we actually see in experiments.

Jilang said:

PeterDonis said:
Theoretically I suppose you could try modeling it that way; I just don't know that anyone has ever been able to actually do that and make predictions that match what we actually see in experiments.
This made me curious for I also had tunneling in mind which probably dates back to schooldays. Therefore I had a closer look into my textbook about nuclear physics and this starts right away with nuclei wave functions for both forms of decays (spontaneous and due to excitation) and exposes why the transition probabilities are well-defined.

Jilang said:
It's the way I always understood it.

This is for radioactive decay. I thought you were asking if fission could be modeled this way.

Jilang said:

Also note that this page says the tunneling model does not give close agreement to measured half-lives for all nuclei. Part of the problem could be that the predicted half-life is very sensitive to the shape of the barrier, and the shape of the barrier depends on details of the strong interaction that we don't fully understand.

PeterDonis said:
This is for radioactive decay. I thought you were asking if fission could be modeled this way.
That's fission.

Jilang said:
That's fission.

No, it isn't. Fission is not the emission of an alpha particle by a nucleus (unless the nucleus were, say, beryllium, but beryllium does not emit alpha particles). Fission is the splitting of a nucleus into two pieces which are fairly close to each other in atomic weight (e.g., U-235 fissions into Kr-92 and Ba-141, plus 3 neutrons). Many fissile nuclei also can emit alpha particles (U-235 does), but that is a different process from fission.

Likes Jilang
PeterDonis said:
Even here, though, I don't know that the models used to predict cross sections are quantum models.
For interactions involving only fundamental particles, you can calculate cross sections from first principles using QED or weak-interaction theory. When I was in grad school forty years ago IIRC, we did this for electron-electron elastic scattering in our third-semester quantum course which was basically QED. For more complicated interactions, even electron-nucleon or neutrino-nucleon scattering, let alone neutron-nucleus interactions, you have to use phenomenological models and fit stuff to experimental data.

Thanks for all the replies and for interesting related subjects I can look further in to.

1. What is nuclear fission?

Nuclear fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom is split into smaller parts, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How does nuclear fission work?

Nuclear fission occurs when a neutron collides with the nucleus of an atom, causing it to split into two or more smaller nuclei. This splitting releases a large amount of energy, which can be harnessed for various purposes.

3. What is a quantum fluctuation?

A quantum fluctuation is a temporary, random change in the energy levels of subatomic particles. It is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and is responsible for many phenomena in the natural world.

4. How are nuclear fission and quantum fluctuations related?

Nuclear fission is a result of quantum fluctuations. The release of energy during fission is due to the rearrangement of subatomic particles, which is governed by quantum mechanics.

5. Is nuclear fission a safe source of energy?

Nuclear fission can be a safe source of energy when proper precautions are taken. However, there are potential risks involved, such as the release of radioactive materials. Careful regulation and management are necessary to ensure the safety of nuclear fission as an energy source.