Is or can gravitational force become cumulative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of planetary alignment and the potential for an increase in gravitational forces on Earth and other planets. However, the claims made about this occurrence are not true and discussing the subject is against forum rules. Tidal forces may be affected by alignment, but the only significant forces on Earth are from the sun and moon.
docpeter1953
Ok here is what I am wondering, gee I wish I had more than one year of pre-professional physics.

I was considering the phenomenon of planetary alignment that will occur on or about 12/21/2012. As I understand it, all the planets in our solar system will become aligned in an almost straight line, also on or about this same date, the Earth will passing through a the plane of the Milky Way as it oscillates toward the other side of the plane. (If I am wrong about this please feel free to correct me.)

I am wondering if and when these phenomenon occur will there be a cumulative increase/decrease in gravitational force on the Earth and planets?

I understand equal and opposite forces interacting with each other, but could/would say the gravitational force of Jupiter, Saturn and the other planets further from the sun add their gravitational pull on the earth, mars, and venus and possibly alter the orbit or rotation of the earth?

Is this possibly why, as we approach 2012, we seem to be experiencing an increase in the numbers of earthquakes? Or does it just seem to me that we are getting increased geological/seismic activity due to the speed at which we can report seismic activity around the world?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything in your post is nonsense and i think against the forum rules.

As for gravitational force being "cumulative". It is, in the sense that if you have a object attracted by many objects the net force on that object is the vector sum of those attractions.

Sounds crackpot-ish to me.

1. "I am wondering if and when these phenomenon occur will there be a cumulative increase/decrease in gravitational force on the Earth and planets? "

IF such an alignment occurs, yes certainly, the outer planet's gravitational forces on Earth will add up to an abnormal extent.

2. "
the gravitational force of Jupiter, Saturn and the other planets further from the sun add their gravitational pull on the earth, mars, and venus "
Yes.

3. "and possibly alter the orbit or rotation of the earth?"
Not to any noticeable extent.

4. "Is this possibly why, as we approach 2012, we seem to be experiencing an increase in the numbers of earthquakes?"
No.

5. "Or does it just seem to me that we are getting increased geological/seismic activity due to the speed at which we can report seismic activity around the world? "
Possibly.
Alternatively, the frequency of earthquakes is non-uniform from local causes, and we might be experiencing an increase (or decrease or constancy) in the frequency just now.

If you hear anything relating to 2012, it is bull, plain and simple.

These guys are correct - essentially nothing about that post was true (no planetary alignment, no galactic plane alignment) , and discussing the subject here is banned in an effort to keep the crackpottery to a minimum here.

One thing that has a hint of truth, though, is that when bodies align, tidal forces are added. But the only objects that have a noticeable effect on the tides on Earth are the sun and moon. That's discussed at the bottom of the page here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/tide.html

1. Is gravitational force cumulative?

Yes, gravitational force is cumulative. This means that the force of gravity between two objects will increase as their masses increase, and decrease as the distance between them increases.

2. How does gravitational force accumulate?

Gravitational force accumulates through the combined effects of mass and distance. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational force will be. Similarly, the closer two objects are, the stronger their gravitational force will be.

3. Can gravitational force be canceled out?

Gravitational force can be canceled out if the forces acting on an object are balanced. For example, if an object is in orbit around a larger object, the gravitational force pulling it towards the larger object is balanced by the centrifugal force pulling it away.

4. Does the gravitational force between two objects change over time?

The gravitational force between two objects does not change over time, as long as their masses and distance remain constant. This is known as the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is constant.

5. Is there a limit to how strong gravitational force can become?

There is no known limit to how strong gravitational force can become. In theory, the force of gravity can become infinitely strong if the masses of the objects and the distance between them reach extreme values. However, in most cases, the gravitational force between objects is relatively weak and can be easily overcome by other forces.