Is Studying Medicine and Physics a Good Combination?

In summary, Stewart recommends that a premed student like himself pursue a physics degree as their undergraduate major, then pursue a medical degree and research specialization after that, if they have the desire and are willing to invest the time and money into it.
Aldurazi
Hello all,

I'm hoping that I can get some honest answers here. I'm a premed student at RCSI-MUB. Although I'm going to study medicine, I'm fond of physics specially theoretical physics. In addition, my high school grades in physics were very high. I want to ask you here, what are your opinions about studying medicine and then studying physics? Will this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you apply yourself you shouldn't have a problem doing it in any order. However, it seems intuitive to me that you would do the physics degree as your undergraduate first, then pursue the MD.

I agree with stewart's suggestion that you do your undergrad major in physics if that is your long-term plan. As long as you supplement it with the required pre-med courses in biology and chemistry, you'll be properly prepared for medical school, and also adequately prepared for an advanced degree in physics later. And, it's important to take those advanced undergraduate physics courses rather than basing your decisions for your future based only on a high school physics experience.

It also gives you two very good options should either one of them fall through. Not everyone gets an acceptance to medical school or graduate school, so having two subjects interest you gives you a lot more opportunity and safety should one of them not work out.

Give some thought to the investment in time this requires. Don't know about your country, but in the US it's six to eight years for the MD (including internship and residency), then another six or more for the PHD and you'll be an old (and broke) man before your first job! One solution is to pick up just a masters in physics. Another is to look into the combined MD-PhD programs offered at many top US universities (assume there is something similar near you).

TWIAVBP ("The World Is a Very Big Place")

Aldurazi said:
I'm a premed student at RCSI-MUB.

The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain (RCSI-MUB) campus in Muharraq, Bahrain?

Anyway, earning an M.D. and then a Ph.D. in medical research is a fairly common career path in the USA, so I don't see why you can't pursue this in Bahrain. At least in the USA, the extra money paid to researchers who are also M.D.s is supposed to make it worth the bother in the long run. I'm assuming obviously that you would be happy to pursue a career in medical biophysics, which I think would afford you plenty of opportunity to theorize, just about :wink: stuff that matters.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
Give some thought to the investment in time this requires. Don't know about your country, but in the US it's six to eight years for the MD (including internship and residency), then another six or more for the PHD and you'll be an old (and broke) man before your first job! One solution is to pick up just a masters in physics. Another is to look into the combined MD-PhD programs offered at many top US universities (assume there is something similar near you).

It's 4 years for the MD degree, then another 2 of residency, but residents are paid, so it's only 4 years of "poverty." There are more residency/fellowship requirements if you want a subspecialty, but not everyone needs to go through that. I don't know how flexible physics PhD programs are, but I would suspect that a degree in theoretical physics would have more flexibility than one in experimental physics in terms of being able to do part-time studies while practicing medicine to pay the bills. I guess it depends which field he wants to make his primary career path, and which is a pursuit out of academic interest. If he doesn't plan to work as a physicist, but just wants to study it for his own growth, then what does it matter if it takes a long time to complete the degree?

The MD/PhD degree usually is limited to those pursuing a PhD in a biomedical field of research. The reason is that in order to condense everything into a 6 year program (usually more like 7 in reality), the first two years of medical school courses count toward the majority of your Ph.D. coursework, so you only pick up one or two more courses along the way specific to your discipline, then do your two-three years of research, complete your dissertation and return to 2 more years of clinical work. If you're doing a Ph.D. in something other than biomedical research, the M.D. coursework will not be at all adequate for the Ph.D. requirements, so can't save you any time.

Thanks! I got a lot from your replays :)

In fact, my studying at RCSI-MUB is a scholarship from the Ministry of Education (in Bahrain). So I don't want to keep this chance to go away!

I love the idea to do part-time studies in physics while practising medicine to pay the bills. I hope that I can do this.

Thanks again for your advice ;)

Hello,

Oh My God!
I have exactly the same problem- I love Physics,(and I got excellent grades in high school physics too) but due to certain events I might have to end up doing medicine. I wouldn't mind becoming an ER doctor but it is very difficult to let go of physics. Is there a possibility for anyone to become a doctor and at the same time study physics? Besides I have a problem with financing my studies. but I do love physics...
I haven't met anyone else who understands me.
Aldurazi, did it work for you?

Moonbear said:
It also gives you two very good options should either one of them fall through. Not everyone gets an acceptance to medical school or graduate school, so having two subjects interest you gives you a lot more opportunity and safety should one of them not work out.

I think this is the first time I have seen a degree in physics referred to as a 'fall-back option'...

1. What is the difference between a doctor and a physicist?

A doctor is a medical professional who specializes in diagnosing and treating illnesses and injuries. They are trained in the biological and physiological aspects of the human body. A physicist, on the other hand, is a scientist who studies the physical properties of matter and energy. They use mathematical and scientific principles to understand and explain the natural world.

2. Can a person be both a doctor and a physicist?

Yes, it is possible for a person to have both a medical degree and a degree in physics. These individuals are known as medical physicists and they use their knowledge of physics to develop and improve medical technologies such as X-ray machines and MRI scanners.

3. What qualifications are needed to become a doctor or a physicist?

To become a doctor, one must complete a Bachelor's degree in a related field, followed by a medical degree and several years of residency training. To become a physicist, one must have a Bachelor's degree in physics, followed by a Master's and/or PhD in a specialized area of physics.

4. Are there any similarities between the two professions?

Although they may seem very different, there are some similarities between doctors and physicists. Both require critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze and solve complex problems. Both also require a strong foundation in math and science.

5. How do doctors and physicists work together?

Doctors and physicists often work together in the field of medical physics, where they collaborate to develop and improve medical technologies and treatments. For example, a physicist may work with a doctor to use radiation therapy to treat cancer patients. They may also work together to conduct research and clinical trials to further understand and improve healthcare practices.