Is the angular acceleration of this rod constant?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of moment of inertia and torque equations in a problem involving a pivoted rod. The importance of choosing a reference axis and accounting for linear forces exerted by the pivot is emphasized. The concept of pseudo-forces is also mentioned.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
There is a rod in a horizontal plane hinged on one end with a force applied on the other end i want to why am i getting different values of angular accel from when i am writing the equation about the hinged point and from the com shouldnt the angular acceleration be constant throughout the body
Relevant Equations
Torque = i α
Please refer to the image

Attachments

• 1580486920308667100950419592196.jpg
    1580486920308667100950419592196.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. We cannot help you unless you show exactly what you have done. Also, please provide the exact statement of the problem.

kuruman said:
Please show your work. We cannot help you unless you show exactly what you have done. Also, please provide the exact statement of the problem.
Sorry i thought it got attatched but i have added it now

The rod is pivoted about its end. Therefore you should use the moment of inertia about the pivot not about the CM in (2). You would use the moment of inertia about the CM if the rod were pivot-free on the plane.

kuruman said:
The rod is pivoted about its end. Therefore you should use the moment of inertia about the pivot not about the CM in (2). You would use the moment of inertia about the CM if the rod were pivot-free on the plane.
But i can write the torque equation about any point right ?? Please forgive me if i am sounding dumb

Prabs3257 said:
But i can write the torque equation about any point right ?? Please forgive me if i am sounding dumb
If you use the torque equation about a point other than the pivot, you need to account for any linear force exerted by the pivot. You have proven that there must be such a force.

Of course, this is why we normally choose a particular reference axis -- so that we can ignore a particular parameter of the problem. For instance, the motion of the center of mass of the object or the linear force exerted by the pivot at one end.

jbriggs444 said:
If you use the torque equation about a point other than the pivot, you need to account for any linear force exerted by the pivot. You have proven that there must be such a force.

Of course, this is why we normally choose a particular reference axis -- so that we can ignore a particular parameter of the problem. For instance, the motion of the center of mass of the object or the linear force exerted by the pivot at one end.
ohh you mean the pseudo force right now i get it thanks.

It's a real force.

Likes jbriggs444
Prabs3257 said:
ohh you mean the pseudo force right now i get it thanks.
Actually, a real force. If you push forward on one end of a freely floating rod, the other end will move rearward. The pivot prevents that by exerting a real forward force.

kuruman said:
It's a real force.
Sorry i meant the hinge force 😅

If, instead of the hinge, you had a freely floating rod then one could try to account for its motion using a pivot point located along the line where the hinge would have been.

Since the near end of the rod is accelerating rearward, the reference point for this motion would be accelerating rearward. Which would mean using an accelerating coordinate system. In order to transform this acceleration away, one could adopt an inertial pseudo-force and pretend that it acts forward on the center of mass of the rod.

The torque resulting from this pseudo-force would need to be accounted for in an angular momentum balance.

In the center-of-mass frame, this pseudo-force would still exist, but it would not produce any torque. This is why one prefers using the center-of-mass reference in the case of a freely floating rod.

Using the CM frame also has the advantage that when an off-center impulse is delivered to the free rod, one can separate the momentum conservation equations into linear momentum of the CM and angular momentum about the CM. When the rod is pivoted, linear momentum is not conserved but angular momentum about the pivot is.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the rotational speed of an object is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion, while linear acceleration is specific to linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. Is the angular acceleration of this rod constant?

To determine if the angular acceleration of a rod is constant, we can analyze its motion and calculate the rate of change of its angular velocity at different points. If the calculated values are the same, then the angular acceleration is constant.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

The angular acceleration of a rod can be affected by various factors, such as the applied torque, the distribution of mass along the rod, and any external forces or friction acting on the rod.

5. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are closely related. Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, meaning that a change in angular acceleration will result in a change in angular velocity, and vice versa.