Is the Dot Product Definition Valid Only for Orthogonal Coordinates?

In summary, the definition of the dot product is given by a=<a1,b1> and b=<a2,b2>. It is valid for orthogonal coordinates only. If you use polar coordinates for example, the dot product is r_1r_2+\theta_1\theta_2.
cocopops12
The definition of the dot product is given by
A = <a1,b1>
B = <a2,b2>
A dot B = a1a2 + b1b2

Is this definition valid for orthogonal coordinates only?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this definition should hold true for any vectors as long as they're both in $$ℝ^n$$. You cannot however take the dot product of two vectors if one is in $$ℝ^n$$ and the other is in $$ℝ^m$$ where $$n≠m$$.

The more general concept is the "inner product". An inner product is a function, <u, v>, that maps pairs of vectors to to members of the underlying field (typically real or complex numbers) such that
1) <au, v>= a<u, v>
2) <u+ v, w>= <u, w>+ <v, w>
3) <u, v>= <v, u>* where the "*" is the complex conjugate (so if the field is the real numbers, <u, v>= <v, u>.

We then define two vectors to be orthogonal (perpendicular) if and only if their inner product is 0.

Given any inner product on a vector space, it is always possible to choose a basis so that the inner product of two vectors is just the sum of the products of corresponding components in that basis. In that case, yes, the basis vectors not only orthogonal, they are "orthonormal"- the inner product of a basis vector with itself is 1.

cocopops12 said:
The definition of the dot product is given by
A = <a1,b1>
B = <a2,b2>
A dot B = a1a2 + b1b2

Is this definition valid for orthogonal coordinates only?
You should think of the dot product as a function from ##\mathbb R^2\times\mathbb R^2## into ##\mathbb R^2##, not as something that involves coordinates.

The definition tells you that ##x\cdot y=x_1y_1+x_2y_2## where ##x_1,x_2,y_1,y_2## are defined by ##x=(x_1,x_2), y=(y_1,y_2)##. If you use polar coordinates for example, i.e. if you define ##r_1,r_2,\theta_1,\theta_2## by ##x=r_1(\cos\theta_1,\sin\theta_1)## and ##y=r_2(\cos\theta_1,\sin\theta_1)##, then clearly ##x\cdot y\neq r_1r_2+\theta_1\theta_2## (except perhaps for some very special choice of x and y). What we have instead is $$x\cdot y=r_1 r_2\cos(\theta_2-\theta_1).$$

That definition is only valid for orthonormal (even stricter than orthogonal) basis vectors. Suppose I want to dot two vectors [itex] \vec{A}= a\vec{e_1}+b\vec{e_2 } [/itex] and [itex] \vec{B}=c\vec{e_1}+d\vec{e_2} [/itex]. Then since the dot product is distributive, [itex] \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = (a\vec{e_1}+b\vec{e_2 }) \cdot (c\vec{e_1}+d\vec{e_2}) = ac( \vec{e_1} \cdot \vec{e_1}) + ad(\vec{e_1} \cdot \vec{e_2}) + bc(\vec{e_2} \cdot \vec{e_1}) + bd (\vec{e_2} \cdot \vec{e_2}) = ac( \vec{e_1} \cdot \vec{e_1}) + (ad+ bc)(\vec{e_1} \cdot \vec{e_2}) + bd (\vec{e_2} \cdot \vec{e_2}) [/itex]

Note that a basis vector dotted with itself is not necessarily one and that the dot product of two different basis vectors is not necessarily zero. In the case that they are (and then you have an orthonormal basis), this formula reduces to the familiar formula you quoted.

Last edited:
Just a latex tip:
\begin{align}
a &= b = c\\
&= d = e = f
\end{align} Hit the quote button to see how I to I did this.

Fredrik said:
Just a latex tip:
\begin{align}
a &= b = c\\
&= d = e = f
\end{align} Hit the quote button to see how I to I did this.

Thanks, sorry to anyone that had to scroll because of me :redface:.

You can also avoid those large spaces by using "itex" and "\itex" rather than "$ $" and "$ $".
(I added the space so the $ would show up.)

He was using itex.

Yes, I'm just bad at spacing.

Related to Is the Dot Product Definition Valid Only for Orthogonal Coordinates?

What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation used to calculate the scalar value of two vectors in a vector space. It is also known as the inner product or scalar product.

How is the dot product calculated?

The dot product is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products together. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product is calculated as A · B = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product can be thought of as the product of the magnitude of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This means that the dot product is largest when the two vectors are parallel and smallest when they are perpendicular.

How is the dot product used in physics and engineering?

The dot product has many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating work done by a force, determining the angle between two vectors, and finding the projection of one vector onto another.

What is the difference between the dot product and the cross product?

The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the dot product is commutative (A · B = B · A), while the cross product is anti-commutative (A x B = -B x A). The dot product also measures similarity or parallelism, while the cross product measures perpendicularity or orthogonality.