Is the following semiconductor n-type or p-type?

In summary, using the Hall coefficient and conductivity equations, it was determined that the carrier density is ##n = 8.1*10^{21} m^{-3}## and the mobility is ##\mu = 0.007 m^2/Vs## for a semiconductor with a Hall coefficient of ##R_{Hall} = 7*10^{-5} m^3C^{-1}## and a conductivity ##\sigma = 200 (\Omega m)^{-1}##. This semiconductor is determined to be p-type due to the positive value of the Hall coefficient. The conductivity equation should be simplified to ##\sigma = pe\mu## to account for positive charge carriers.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Estimate the carrier density and mobility of a semiconductor with a Hall coefficient of ##R_{Hall} = 7*10^{-5} m^3C^{-1}## and a conductivity ##\sigma = 200 (\Omega m)^{-1}##. Is the semiconductor n-type or p-type?

Homework Equations

##R_{Hall}=\frac{1}{ne}##
##\sigma=ne\mu_e + pe\mu_h##

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the request at hand, and going by many of the examples given in lectures, I figured the conductivity can be simplified to ##\sigma = 2ne\mu##, then from the given information I can use the ##R_{Hall}## equation to find ##n## then sub into the ##\sigma## equation and rearrange to find ##\mu##.

Final answers:
##n = 8.1*10^{21} m^{-3}##
##\mu = 0.007 m^2/Vs##

From this, how can I know if it's a p-type or n-type semiconductor? According to all the info I can find, the calculation I've just done is based on the assumption that I'm working with an intrinsic semiconductor which means it isn't n-type or p-type because ##n=p##. So I must be going wrong with the assumptions I've made in simplifying the calculation..? I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I've cracked it.

The Hall coefficient is a positive value which means we're working with positive charge carriers. So it's p-type.

Also I think this means I should not use the factor of 2 in the conductivity equation and simply use ##\sigma = pe\mu##

1. What is the difference between n-type and p-type semiconductors?

N-type semiconductors have an excess of negatively charged carriers (electrons) while p-type semiconductors have an excess of positively charged carriers (holes). This difference determines their electrical behavior and properties.

2. How can I determine if a semiconductor is n-type or p-type?

The type of semiconductor can be determined by measuring its electrical conductivity or by performing a Hall Effect measurement. N-type semiconductors will have a higher electron concentration and therefore higher conductivity, while p-type semiconductors will have a higher hole concentration and lower conductivity.

3. What elements are commonly used in n-type and p-type semiconductors?

Silicon (Si) is the most commonly used element in both n-type and p-type semiconductors. Other elements such as phosphorus (P) and arsenic (As) are commonly used in n-type semiconductors, while boron (B) and gallium (Ga) are commonly used in p-type semiconductors.

4. How does the doping process affect the type of semiconductor?

The doping process involves introducing impurities, such as phosphorus or boron, into the semiconductor material. This changes the number of carriers (electrons or holes) and therefore determines the type of semiconductor. N-type doping adds extra electrons, while p-type doping creates extra holes.

5. Can a semiconductor be both n-type and p-type at the same time?

No, a semiconductor cannot be both n-type and p-type at the same time. However, some materials can exhibit both n-type and p-type behavior, depending on the amount and type of doping. This is known as intrinsic behavior and is often seen in pure silicon or germanium crystals.