Doped semiconductor material: identify n- p- type

In summary: I know of this technique but never found it reliable...getting good contact with the wafer was unpredictable and trying the probe over the surface can give conflicting readings. When working with semiconductor wafers I found gold wire...or an electrode made of a metal with high electron affinity...to be more reliable.
moenste

Homework Statement

You are given a small slice of doped semiconductor material but you do not know whether it is n-type or p-type Explain with the aid of a diagram the physical principles of an investigation which would enable you to identify the type.

2. The attempt at a solution
I searched on the net for some decent information on this topic, but most of the images are very similar to each other.

Image 1.

Image 2:
typessemicond.jpg

As I understand, a doped semiconductor means an inpure semiconductor, that is intentionally made so in order to be used as an n-type or p-type semiconductor.

These two pictures could be used as the answer for the question?

Also, how do doped semiconductors looks like? What's the theory about the pictures?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:

Homework Statement

You are given a small slice of doped semiconductor material but you do not know whether it is n-type or p-type Explain with the aid of a diagram the physical principles of an investigation which would enable you to identify the type.

2. The attempt at a solution
I searched on the net for some decent information on this topic, but most of the images are very similar to each other.

Image 1.

Image 2:
typessemicond.jpg

As I understand, a doped semiconductor means an inpure semiconductor, that is intentionally made so in order to be used as an n-type or p-type semiconductor.

These two pictures could be used as the answer for the question?

Also, how do doped semiconductors looks like? What's the theory about the pictures?
Do you realize that in n-type material the charge carriers would be -ve electrons and that in p-type material the charge carriers would be +ve 'holes' ?
If you could make current flow the materials could you produce an effect that would enable you to see a difference between +ve and -ve charge carriers

Likes moenste
lychette said:
Do you realize that in n-type material the charge carriers would be -ve electrons and that in p-type material the charge carriers would be +ve 'holes' ?
If you could make current flow the materials could you produce an effect that would enable you to see a difference between +ve and -ve charge carriers
So the principle of investigation is to see whether there are "holes" in the graph?

moenste said:
So the principle of investigation is to see whether there are "holes" in the graph?
I would say that you are expected to design some practical investigation.
You are supplied with a sample of material. My first thought is to make some electrical measurements that would reveal the presence of -ve charge carriers or +ve charge carriers...got any ideas?

Likes moenste
lychette said:
I would say that you are expected to design some practical investigation.
You are supplied with a sample of material. My first thought is to make some electrical measurements that would reveal the presence of -ve charge carriers or +ve charge carriers...got any ideas?
Use the Hall effect?

moenste said:
Use the Hall effect?
Yes...you now need to find out the experimental set up.

Likes moenste
lychette said:
Yes...you now need to find out the experimental set up.
That's the thing, I don't quite understand how does a "small slide of doped semiconductor material" look like.

As I see it, we'll need to use an apparatus that creates magnetic field (like a magnet). Like shown here.

When working with semiconductors, I used a simple method to decide if a silicon slice was p type or n type. It worked by producing temperature gradient in the semiconductor wafer.(Wafers of several inches in diameter and 0.3-0.5 mm thick are available from the producers)
21610-6.jpg

You need a sensitive multimeter or a galvanometer. Connect the wafer to the negative input of the meter, and add a pin to the other lead. Warm up the pin and touch it to the wafer.
upload_2016-10-15_17-41-34.png

The figure shows an n type Si, with electrons as free carriers. Near the hot pin, they gain higher velocity and diffuse away. The hot spot becomes positive with respect to the cold part and the pointer of the meter will deflect in positive direction.

Likes moenste
ehild said:
When working with semiconductors, I used a simple method to decide if a silicon slice was p type or n type. It worked by producing temperature gradient in the semiconductor wafer.(Wafers of several inches in diameter and 0.3-0.5 mm thick are available from the producers)
21610-6.jpg

You need a sensitive multimeter or a galvanometer. Connect the wafer to the negative input of the meter, and add a pin to the other lead. Warm up the pin and touch it to the wafer.
View attachment 107474

The figure shows an n type Si, with electrons as free carriers. Near the hot pin, they gain higher velocity and diffuse away. The hot spot becomes positive with respect to the cold part and the pointer of the meter will deflect in positive direction.

I know of this technique but never found it reliable...getting good contact with the wafer was unpredictable and trying the probe over the surface can give conflicting readings. When working with semiconductor wafers I found gold wire probes to be most reliable ( most of this work was with gallium arsenide)

Likes moenste
@lychette: It worked quite well with silicon.

Likes moenste
ehild said:
@lychette: It worked quite well with silicon.
OK...may be the way to go for moenste if all that is needed is 'identification'

Likes moenste

1. What is the difference between n-type and p-type doped semiconductor material?

N-type doped semiconductor material has an excess of electrons, while p-type doped semiconductor material has a deficit of electrons.

2. How is n-type doped semiconductor material created?

N-type doped semiconductor material is created by introducing impurities with more valence electrons than the host material, such as phosphorus or arsenic.

3. How is p-type doped semiconductor material created?

P-type doped semiconductor material is created by introducing impurities with fewer valence electrons than the host material, such as boron or gallium.

4. What is the purpose of doping semiconductor material?

Doping semiconductor material allows for the creation of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells by controlling the flow of electrons and creating a junction between the n-type and p-type regions.

5. How is the type of doped semiconductor material identified?

The type of doped semiconductor material can be identified by testing its conductivity and determining whether it is an n-type or p-type material based on its excess or deficit of electrons.