Is the group of positive rational numbers under * cyclic?

In summary, the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication is not a cyclic group. To prove this, we need to show that for all elements in positive Q, they cannot generate positive Q. This can be done by finding a fraction (a/b)^n that cannot equal another fraction (a/b)^m for any n and m. The notation <a> typically represents the group generated by a single element, but in this case, it does not apply.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Is the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication a cyclic group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So a group is cyclic if and only if there exists a element in G that generates all of the elements in G.
So the set of positive rational numbers would be cyclic if we could find a fraction a/b such that (a/b)^n, where n is an integer, generates all elements of positive Q.

I feel like the group is not cyclic, which means that I would have to prove that for all elements in positive Q, they don't generate positive Q. I am not sure exactly how to approach this... For (a/b)^n, do I have to find another fraction in terms of a and b such that (a/b)^n can't equal that expression for any n?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##<\frac{1}{2}\; , \;\frac{1}{3}>## mean? I thought that one only looks at what subgroup is generated by a single element, in this case a single fraction

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Is the group of positive rational numbers under multiplication a cyclic group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So a group is cyclic if and only if there exists a element in G that generates all of the elements in G.
So the set of positive rational numbers would be cyclic if we could find a fraction a/b such that (a/b)^n, where n is an integer, generates all elements of positive Q.

I feel like the group is not cyclic, which means that I would have to prove that for all elements in positive Q, they don't generate positive Q. I am not sure exactly how to approach this... For (a/b)^n, do I have to find another fraction in terms of a and b such that (a/b)^n can't equal that expression for any n?
This should work. Solve ##(\frac{a}{b})^n=2## and show that you can't get ##(\frac{a}{b})^m=3## .

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
What does ##<\frac{1}{2}\; , \;\frac{1}{3}>## mean? I thought that one only looks at what subgroup is generated by a single element, in this case a single fraction
You beat me. I confused addition and multiplication. In general ##<a>## meant to be the group generated by ##a##, so ##<a>=\{a^n\,\vert \,n\in \mathbb{Z}\}## but I was wrong with the example.

1. What does it mean for a group to be cyclic?

A cyclic group is a group in which all elements can be generated by a single element, called a generator. In other words, the group repeats itself and has a predictable pattern.

2. How do you determine if a group of positive rational numbers is cyclic?

A group of positive rational numbers under * is cyclic if and only if there exists a positive rational number, x, such that every other positive rational number in the group can be expressed as x^n, where n is an integer.

3. Can any positive rational number be a generator for a cyclic group?

No, not all positive rational numbers can be generators for a cyclic group. For example, 1 is not a generator because it only produces itself when multiplied by itself.

4. What is the order of a cyclic group of positive rational numbers under *?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. In the case of a cyclic group of positive rational numbers under *, the order is infinite because there are an infinite number of positive rational numbers.

5. Are there any other operations besides multiplication that can make a group of positive rational numbers cyclic?

Yes, there are other operations that can make a group of positive rational numbers cyclic, such as exponentiation or addition. As long as there is a single element that can generate all other elements in the group, the group is considered cyclic.