Is the higgs field the same as spacetime foam?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the relationship between an apple and the color blue, and the potential connection between the Higgs field and the concept of spacetime foam. The participants discuss the nature of quantum energy and the smallest particles that make up the universe, with one person proposing their own theory. The experts in the conversation caution against developing personal theories without a solid understanding of the underlying concepts and remind the individual that such discussions are not allowed on the forum.
tybeedave
if not, what is it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is an apple the same as blue?
The question does not make sense.

mfb said:
Is an apple the same as blue?
The question does not make sense.
So you are saying that the spacetime foam isn't even related to the highs field?...I'm not trying to yank your chain...I thought they both were based on an all everywhere type of thing.

First you have to clarify what "the spacetime foam" is supposed to mean. There are some speculative theories that predict that spacetime is not continuous. It is unclear if those theories have any relevance to our universe at all. There are established theories that predict other effects at small scales that might be called "spacetime foam", without completely breaking spacetime. All this has no special relation to the Higgs field. Sure, the Higgs field is in spacetime. So is the electromagnetic field. And the other fields of the constituents of an apple. All those fields exist everywhere.

tybeedave said:
So you are saying that the spacetime foam isn't even related to the highs field?...I'm not trying to yank your chain...I thought they both were based on an all everywhere type of thing.

I'm questioning your logic here. Even if they are both the "all everywhere type of thing", why would that characteristics alone imply that they are the same thing? That's like saying since a cow and an apple are both edible, they are the same thing.

Zz.

I see what your saying, and, I'm not illogical. I'm trying to determine the character of and to understand quantum energy...by that, I mean the smallest individual, non-trivial particles that form the foundation of the universe, what I referred to in my question as spacetime foam. It had occurred to me that the higgs field could be these smallest of quanta.

Also, since energy and mass are equivalent, all particles are would seem to be related, even cows and apples...

Actually, you are being somewhat illogical. You are trying to develop your own theories (which, BTW, is not what PF is for) before understanding what has come before. Is that logical?

Last edited:
Likes mfb
tybeedave said:
I mean the smallest individual, non-trivial particles that form the foundation of the universe
According to the Standard Model, those are the elementary particles we know - electrons, quarks, gluons, Higgs and so on. On the other hand, the fields look more fundamental than the particles.
tybeedave said:
It had occurred to me that the higgs field could be these smallest of quanta.
No.

I'm not sure if I understand your question right. You say that the higgsfield itself is the quantum foam in Spacetime of the superscalarfield?

If this is your question, then NO.

tybeedave said:
I see what your saying, and, I'm not illogical. I'm trying to determine the character of and to understand quantum energy...by that, I mean the smallest individual, non-trivial particles that form the foundation of the universe, what I referred to in my question as spacetime foam. It had occurred to me that the higgs field could be these smallest of quanta.

Spacetime foam is NOT a "quantum of energy". I don't believe you understand the physics involved in any of this. Is this correct?

You can't simply try to formulate an idea when you do not have a good understanding of the various components that make up that idea. This is not only illogical, it is also irrational.

And has been stated, per the PF Rules that you had agreed to, personal theory such as this is forbidden. You're welcome to try and learn what the Higgs field is, what "spacetime foam" is, etc.. etc. But if you try to attempt at selling your own theory, you might have a very rough time on this forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Spacetime foam is NOT a "quantum of energy". I don't believe you understand the physics involved in any of this. Is this correct?

You can't simply try to formulate an idea when you do not have a good understanding of the various components that make up that idea. This is not only illogical, it is also irrational.

And has been stated, per the PF Rules that you had agreed to, personal theory such as this is forbidden. You're welcome to try and learn what the Higgs field is, what "spacetime foam" is, etc.. etc. But if you try to attempt at selling your own theory, you might have a very rough time on this forum.

Zz.

1. What is the Higgs field?

The Higgs field is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains the origin of mass in the universe. It is believed to permeate all of space and interacts with particles to give them mass.

2. What is spacetime foam?

Spacetime foam is a term used to describe the hypothetical structure of the fabric of space and time at a very small scale. It is thought to be made up of constantly fluctuating quantum fields and is an area of ongoing research in theoretical physics.

3. Are the Higgs field and spacetime foam the same thing?

No, the Higgs field and spacetime foam are two separate concepts in physics. The Higgs field is a specific field that gives particles mass, while spacetime foam describes the structure of space and time at a quantum level.

4. How are the Higgs field and spacetime foam related?

The Higgs field is one of the fields that make up the structure of spacetime foam. It is believed to interact with other fields in spacetime foam to give particles their mass.

5. What does the existence of the Higgs field and spacetime foam mean for our understanding of the universe?

The existence of the Higgs field and spacetime foam are important in understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and how particles interact with each other. It also helps to explain the origin of mass and the structure of space and time at a quantum level.