Is the iPhone mute button waterproof? How does it work?

In summary, the iPhone mute switch is a slide switch that is waterproof and can be found on some water resistant models.
Aurimas
Hey, guys! I'm wondering, Iphone mute button, it's a slide switch and it's waterproof, can you explain me mechanism of it? Maybe with a drawing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
@berkeman I found that there are few good articles explaining about waterproofing in phones. I tried to analyse button mechanism from the photos, which we can easily find in google. But I still don't get it, trying to figure out... any ideas?

I only did a quick Google search and clicked into a couple of the hits. They point out that some iPhone models are "water resistant" (not waterproof), and I didn't know enough about the various models to know if the mute switch you mention is one one of the water resistant models or not.

Aurimas said:
Hey, guys! I'm wondering, Iphone mute button, it's a slide switch and it's waterproof, can you explain me mechanism of it? Maybe with a drawing?

Which iPhone?

Although it seems simple, "waterproof" is actually subject with a lot of nuance.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Understanding-IP-Ratings

eq1 said:
Which iPhone?

Although it seems simple, "waterproof" is actually subject with a lot of nuance.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Understanding-IP-Ratings
Can't open link 'We have detected that you are visiting us from a country with Global Data Protection restrictions (GDPR). Due to requirements placed upon West Marine as a result of Global Data Protection Regulation, we are not permitting internet traffic to our website from certain countries in order to avoid any violations. No tracking or performance measurement cookies were served with this page." '

berkeman said:
I only did a quick Google search and clicked into a couple of the hits. They point out that some iPhone models are "water resistant" (not waterproof), and I didn't know enough about the various models to know if the mute switch you mention is one one of the water resistant models or not.
Till the model 6 it's water resistant after that, for example model 7, it's waterproof. It would really interesting to see that's inside of it.
1582178454031.png

Likes Aurimas

1. Is the iPhone mute button actually waterproof?

Yes, the iPhone mute button is waterproof. It is designed to withstand exposure to water and other liquids without causing damage to the device.

2. How does the mute button on an iPhone work?

The mute button on an iPhone works by physically disconnecting the sound or vibration function of the device. When the button is switched to the "mute" position, it interrupts the circuit that allows sound or vibration to be produced, effectively silencing the device.

3. Can I use the mute button underwater?

While the iPhone mute button is waterproof, it is not designed to be used underwater. The device may still function while submerged, but it is not recommended as it could potentially damage the internal components.

4. How long can the mute button be exposed to water without causing damage?

The mute button on an iPhone is designed to be waterproof for a limited amount of time, usually around 30 minutes. Extended exposure to water can still cause damage to the device, so it is best to avoid submerging it for long periods of time.

5. Can I still use the mute button if it gets wet?

If the mute button on your iPhone gets wet, it is recommended to dry it off as soon as possible. While the button itself is waterproof, water can still seep into the device and cause damage. It is best to avoid using the mute button while wet to prevent any potential issues.