Is the smallest carbon molecule smaller than C20?

In summary: Neither, C4 (if it exists) is planar and rhombic (since the double-bonds are shorter). I'm doubtful it's been synthesized, and I'm doubtful of its stability. There are some recent theoretical studies of its radical ions, though.
ldv1452
Does there/or could there exist a molecule made only of carbon, that is smaller than C20?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes. C2 is a molecule Smaller than C2O. Whether it's a naturally occurring one, I'm not sure.

Xtensity said:
Yes. C2 is a molecule Smaller than C2O. Whether it's a naturally occurring one, I'm not sure.

As far as I knew the bonding for C2 is not possible, that's why I asked. Maybe I was misinformed. Perhaps its just that it does not occur in nature. How would the bonding work?

I think C-C will wander until it picks up some -H for example, to make ethane.

Well if that is allowed, geometrically I can imagine C4, formally a square with two acetylenic bonds, or a tetrahedron with two double bonds. Both have very strained bond angles but would they get some resonance stabilisation? Could it be made difficult for them to decay into anything if e.g. in dilute gas*? :confused:

*for the reason below.

Last edited:
C2 is certainly very stable to dissociation and has been characterized completely in the gas phase. However it cannot be filled in bottles as there are other carbon modifications which are even more stable and to which C2 quickly reacts.

epenguin said:
Well if that is allowed, geometrically I can imagine C4, formally a square with two acetylenic bonds, or a tetrahedron with two double bonds.

Neither, C4 (if it exists) is planar and rhombic (since the double-bonds are shorter). I'm doubtful it's been synthesized, and I'm doubtful of its stability. There are some recent theoretical studies of its radical ions, though.

There's tetrahedral N4, which I'm a big fan of. Never synthesized either, but I know that one's supposed to be somewhat stable (energetic barrier to decomposition of around 10 kcal/mol or something). It's a very high-energy compound (something like 50 MJ/kg IIRC). It's been proposed as an environmentally-friendly rocket fuel. If someone could come up with some way of making it.

Related to Is the smallest carbon molecule smaller than C20?

1. What is the smallest carbon molecule?

The smallest carbon molecule is carbon monoxide (CO), which consists of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom.

2. How is the size of a carbon molecule determined?

The size of a carbon molecule is determined by the number of carbon atoms it contains. The more carbon atoms, the larger the molecule.

3. Can a carbon molecule contain only one atom?

Yes, a carbon molecule can contain only one atom. This is the case for carbon monoxide, which is the smallest carbon molecule.

4. What is the significance of the smallest carbon molecule?

The smallest carbon molecule, carbon monoxide, is an important molecule in various chemical reactions and is also a byproduct of combustion processes. It is also a toxic gas and can be harmful to humans if inhaled in large quantities.

5. How does the size of a carbon molecule affect its properties?

The size of a carbon molecule can greatly affect its properties, such as reactivity and stability. Smaller carbon molecules tend to be more reactive and less stable, while larger carbon molecules tend to be less reactive and more stable.