Is the Stunt Driver's Speed Sufficient for the Jump?

• Thread starter jehan4141
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car stuntman attempting to determine if he can successfully make a jump onto a platform. The first question is answered correctly, but the second question requires more decimal places in the calculations. The conversation also highlights the importance of using the correct initial y-velocity component in the calculations. After correcting this, it is determined that the initial speed is insufficient for the car to safely make the jump. The conversation ends with compliments on the clarity and presentation of the work.
jehan4141
car stuntman problem please help :)

I have a physics problem with the solution provided, but the solution simply answers "No" with no numbers to back-up and explain why the answer is "No".

I have attempted the problem myself, but would like to see if my numbers are correct. Could you please tell me if my numbers are correct or incorrect?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the problem here on page 14 problem VII:

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/ph101_2006/learning_guide_ph101_2006.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**It is pretty important to look at the figure on this problem** :)

A stunt driver wishes to determine if he can drive off the incline and land on a platform (See the figure).

1. On the incline, the stunt driver can go from 0.0 m/s to 10.0 m/s in 2.0 seconds. Assuming constant acceleration, what speed can he achieve by the end of the incline if he starts at the bottom with speed v = 0.0 m/s?

Answer: 13.2 m/s ---> I understand this problem entirely. The next one was more difficult for me.

2. Show whether this speed is sufficient for him to make it.

Answer: No it isn't.

I came to this conclusion by finding that it takes 1.312 seconds to cross the 15 m in the x-direction, when the car is in the air. Using t = 1.312 seconds, I found the height of the car (the height above the point of take-off) at that moment to be 0.224 m. Thus, 0.224 m < 2m.

Thus the car will not make it. My ultimate question: are these figures correct to explain why the speed is insufficient to make the jump safely?

Sorry this is so incredibly long :/ but I would truly appreciate any help you guys can send my way!

Physics news on Phys.org

jehan4141 said:
I came to this conclusion by finding that it takes 1.312 seconds to cross the 15 m in the x-direction, when the car is in the air. Using t = 1.312 seconds, I found the height of the car (the height above the point of take-off) at that moment to be 0.224 m. Thus, 0.224 m < 2m.

Thus the car will not make it. My ultimate question: are these figures correct to explain why the speed is insufficient to make the jump safely?

Sorry this is so incredibly long :/ but I would truly appreciate any help you guys can send my way!

You might want to keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate results. Round only for final results that are to be submitted as an answer. What's your launch velocity to three decimal places?

Can you detail your calculation for the horizontal traversal time and the y-displacement at "impact"?

Yes, of course!:) I will show my work with more decimal places.

From the first question, we found that the final velocity was v = 13.16074013 m/s.

I took this velocity to be the launch velocity. Since we know that the angle of the incline is 30 degrees:

Vox = Vx = 13.1607cos(30)

Using this Vx, we can find the time it took to travel the 15 meters in the horizontal direction.

Vx = x/t

t = x/Vx
t = 15/13.1607cos(30)
t = 1.3161 s

So it takes 1.3161 seconds to cross the 15 meters, in the horizontal direction.

I used this time (t=1.3161 seconds) to find the height above the point of take-off at this moment in time.

y = (Voy)t + 0.5at^2
y = 13.1607(1.3161) + 0.5(-9.8)(1.3161^2)
y = 0.19886 meters at impact. Thus, it will run into the platform wall!

***WOW - rounding makes such a difference! Thank you for the heads up on that. :)

So, the height above the point of take off is ~0.19886 meters. However, the height of the platform on which we wish to land on is 2 meters higher than the point of take-off.

0.19886 meters < 2 meters

Thus the car won't make it and the initial speed is insufficient!

Last edited:

Nicely laid out work :smile:

Only one quibble: The value that you've used for the initial y-velocity: Voy. You've used the magnitude of the velocity vector rather than the y-component.

My hero! Thank you so much for pointing out my fault! Ahh I'm so happy! :)

Ok, so after I correct this I should get:

Voy = 13.1607sin(30)
Voy = 6.58035 m/s

y = (Voy)t + 0.5at^2
y = (6.58035)(1.3161) + (0.5)(-9.8)(1.3161^2)
y = 0.17301 meters at impact. Thus, it will run into the platform wall!

0.17301 meters < 2 meters

Thus it will be insufficient to land on the other side!

You are the bomb.com! thank you sososososo much!

jehan4141 said:
My hero! Thank you so much for pointing out my fault! Ahh I'm so happy! :)

Ok, so after I correct this I should get:

Voy = 13.1607sin(30)
Voy = 6.58035 m/s

y = (Voy)t + 0.5at^2
y = (6.58035)(1.3161) + (0.5)(-9.8)(1.3161^2)
y = 0.17301 meters at impact. Thus, it will run into the platform wall!

0.17301 meters < 2 meters

Thus it will be insufficient to land on the other side!

Yup. :biggrin:

I commend you for your clearly presented work!

Thank you! :blushing: LOL :))):biggrin:

1. What is the Car Stuntman Problem?

The Car Stuntman Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal path for a car to follow in order to complete a series of stunts or obstacles without crashing.

2. What makes the Car Stuntman Problem challenging?

The Car Stuntman Problem is challenging because it requires not only finding the shortest path, but also taking into account the physical limitations of the car, such as acceleration and turning radius, as well as any obstacles or constraints in the environment.

3. How is the Car Stuntman Problem used in real life?

The Car Stuntman Problem has real-life applications in robotics, autonomous vehicles, and even video game design. It can also be used to model and optimize various real-world scenarios such as route planning for delivery trucks or emergency vehicles.

4. What are some common approaches to solving the Car Stuntman Problem?

Some common approaches to solving the Car Stuntman Problem include graph search algorithms such as A* and Dijkstra's algorithm, as well as evolutionary algorithms like genetic algorithms and ant colony optimization.

5. What are the limitations of the Car Stuntman Problem?

The Car Stuntman Problem can become increasingly complex and computationally expensive as the number of obstacles and constraints increases. Additionally, the optimal solution may not always be feasible in real-world scenarios due to factors such as limited time or resources.