Is the topological insulators a result of boundary conditions with SO coupling ?

In summary, these materials should possess at the same time gapped bulk bands but gapless surface bands, and spin-orbit coupling (SO) is necessary.
hiyok
Hi,

these days I have been trying to understand the essentials of the so-called topological insulators (TBI), such as Bi2Te3, which seem very hot in current research. As i understand, these materials should possesses at the same time gapped bulk bands but gapless surface bands, and spin-orbit coupling (SO) is neccessary. Within the usual Bloch treatment, by which one uses periodic boundary conditions, no distinction between bulk and surface bands can be made. Thus, to model TBI properly, one must take into realistic surface conditions, i.e., the system is finite and terminated at the surface. Is it so ?

These surface states are quite similar to the edge states found in quantum Hall systems. Those edge states result from the presence of strong magnetic field, which splits the edge states off from the bulk states. So, may I say, SO in TBI plays an analogous role as the magnetic field in quantum Hall systems ?

Further, can anyone suggest a simple lattice model that supports TBI phenomena ?

I'll be very glad and grateful if anyone gives me a response :)

Physics news on Phys.org
hiyok said:
Thus, to model TBI properly, one must take into realistic surface conditions, i.e., the system is finite and terminated at the surface. Is it so ?

If you want to see the surface state, the system should have a surface, that is, it should be at least semi-infinite. However, by just looking at the bulk band structure, we can determine whether it will have a topologically protected surface states(=odd number of dirac cones) once we create a terminated surface. Therefore, a model for a topological insulator is meaningful even without a surface.

Consult with the following paper. It discusses how we can determine whether an insulator is topological or not by looking at the band structure.
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0611341
hiyok said:
These surface states are quite similar to the edge states found in quantum Hall systems. Those edge states result from the presence of strong magnetic field, which splits the edge states off from the bulk states. So, may I say, SO in TBI plays an analogous role as the magnetic field in quantum Hall systems ?

That is the right analogy, as long as you don't take it too seriously (something like trying to derive a Landau level arising from SO coupling..)

I don't really understand your statement about the quantum Hall edge states(edge states split from the bulk due to magnetic field), though. I would say that the strong magnetic field separates right movers from left movers.

hiyok said:
Further, can anyone suggest a simple lattice model that supports TBI phenomena ?
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.1622
In this paper, a model Hamiltonian for TBI is introduced. [Equation (1)] It is a continuum model, and if you assume a semi-infinite system, you can obtain a single dirac cone as the surface solution. (You can set C=D1=D2=0 in the model to make the problem easier)

If you really want a lattice model, you can perform the following replacements.

[tex] k_{i}^2 \ \rightarrow \ 2(1- \cos k_{i})[/tex]
[tex]k_i \ \rightarrow \ \sin k_{i} [/tex]

Then, the model becomes the k-space representation of a tight-binding model on a square lattice with four orbitals per site and nearest-neighbor hopping.

Last edited:
Dear Weejee,

Thank you so much for the references ! They are invaluable. I will read them carefully and then would like to converse with you further.

hiyok

1. What are topological insulators?

Topological insulators are a class of materials that are insulating in their bulk but possess conducting surface states. This unique property is a result of the strong spin-orbit coupling present in these materials.

2. How do boundary conditions contribute to topological insulators?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the topological properties of a material. In the case of topological insulators, the boundary conditions at the surface of the material lead to the formation of conducting surface states due to the presence of spin-orbit coupling.

3. What is the role of spin-orbit coupling in topological insulators?

Spin-orbit coupling is responsible for the unique properties of topological insulators. It couples the spin of an electron to its motion, leading to the formation of conducting surface states at the boundary of the material.

4. Can topological insulators be used in practical applications?

Yes, topological insulators have shown great potential for use in various applications such as spintronics, quantum computing, and energy harvesting. Their unique properties make them ideal for these purposes.

5. How are topological insulators different from conventional insulators?

Conventional insulators are materials that do not conduct electricity at all, while topological insulators have conducting surface states at their boundaries. This is a result of the strong spin-orbit coupling present in topological insulators.