Definition of open boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "open boundary conditions" in condensed matter physics. The speaker is seeking a simple definition for this term and asks for clarification on its use in the context of DMRG. It is explained that open boundary conditions refer to a system with no external influences and may involve deleting degrees of freedom outside a certain region or adding boundary-only terms to the Hamiltonian. In the context of DMRG, it typically means solving a 1D or 2D model on a finite line or cylinder with the possibility of adding forcing terms at the boundary.
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a question I'm a little embarrassed to be asking: what is meant in condensed matter when someone describes a system with "open boundary conditions," say in one-dimension for simplicity? I am comfortable with the statement of fixed (Dirichlet) or free (von Neumann) boundary conditions, as well as periodic of course. But I also see the terms open/closed, which I want to be identical with free/fixed respectively, but I can't find a simple source which just states a definition.

If it helps, I'm asking because I would like to set up an analytic calculation to compare with a numerical DMRG paper which simply states that they take open boundaries. Is there a simple definition somewhere to tell me what this means? Maybe a better understanding of DMRG would help me. I would be fine with a definition in terms of lattice models, though I'm interested in taking the continuum limit quickly.

I saw one source which mentioned imagining the system on an infinite lattice but simply "turning off" couplings at the edges of the system. This seems weird to me; the eigenfunctions of (say) the Laplacian with these boundary conditions are Dirichlet (sine) in the continuum limit, but I expect "open" to be used in a thermodynamic sense, where the system can exchange energy through its boundaries.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not that expert on "open boundary conditions" but from a first glance on the matter: If you have a source term in your field and if you don't have external conditions (outside of your numerical space the world continues without influence) I would exactly expect "open boundaries". Whatever your conditions are, I would expect from your system a signal transport. This signal will transport energy. If I assume to be far away the transport trough a surface depends from the physics. Example: In electromagnetics it is useful to use for open boundaries "absorbing boundary conditions (ABC)".

Are you talking about a 1D chain? It just means you are talking about a chain without putting it on a ring. If you put it on a ring you can have either periodic or antiperiodic BCs

Usually it just means deleting the degrees of freedom outside some region and removing all the terms in the Hamiltonian that coupled to them.

However, sometimes one adds additional boundary-only terms as part of the general notion of open boundary conditions.

In the context of DMRG to the best of my knowledge this phrase means you solve the 1d model on some finite line segment. Alternatively, one solves a 2d model rolled up into a finite cylinder. However, one does permit to add forcing terms at the boundary to test for symmetry breaking, sensitivity to boundary conditions, etc.

What is the definition of open boundary conditions?

Open boundary conditions refer to a set of conditions that describe how a system or process interacts with its external environment. In other words, they define the behavior of a system at its boundaries.

Why are open boundary conditions important in scientific research?

Open boundary conditions play a crucial role in scientific research as they allow for the accurate modeling and simulation of complex systems. By defining the interactions between a system and its surroundings, scientists can better understand the behavior and dynamics of the system.

What are the different types of open boundary conditions?

There are several types of open boundary conditions, including Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the system's behavior at the boundary, Neumann conditions describe the flux across the boundary, and Robin conditions combine both Dirichlet and Neumann conditions.

How do open boundary conditions differ from closed boundary conditions?

The main difference between open and closed boundary conditions is that open conditions allow for the exchange of matter, energy, or information between a system and its environment, while closed conditions do not. Closed conditions assume that the system is isolated, whereas open conditions consider the system's interactions with its surroundings.

How do scientists determine the appropriate open boundary conditions for a specific system?

The selection of open boundary conditions depends on the specific system being studied and the research objectives. Scientists use data and observations to inform their choice of boundary conditions, and they also consider the physical laws and principles governing the system. In some cases, trial and error may be necessary to determine the most suitable open boundary conditions for a particular system.