Is there a closed form solution to Kepler's problem?

• A
  • Thread starter Will Flannery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Form
In summary, according to the paper "A Solution of Kepler's Equation" by Tokis, there is an exact solution for the eccentric anomaly as a function of the mean anomaly. However, the solution is restricted to orbits with a magnitude less than 2*sqrt(1-eps^2).
Will Flannery
TL;DR Summary
Kepler's equation is M = E - e*sinE
According to wiki "Kepler's equation is a transcendental equation because sine is a transcendental function, meaning it cannot be solved for E algebraically. Numerical analysis and series expansions are generally required to evaluate E."
However in the paper "A Solution of Kepler's Equation" by Tokis we read " Solution of the universal Kepler’s equation in closed form is obtained with the help of the two-dimensional Laplace technique, ... "
Kepler's equation is M = E - e*sinE

According to wiki - Kepler's equation - "Kepler's equation is a transcendental equation because sine is a transcendental function, meaning it cannot be solved for E algebraically. Numerical analysis and series expansions are generally required to evaluate E."

However in the paper "A Solution of Kepler's Equation" by Tokis we read " Solution of the universal Kepler’s equation in closed form is obtained with the help of the two-dimensional Laplace technique, ... "

I have an MS in math, but ... Tokis' paper is beyond me. Can anyone clarify the situation?

Tokis' paper is also available as a pdf at A Solution of Kepler's Equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plugging the proposed solution into the problem to see if it is a indeed a solution?

Likes Motore
Dale said:
Have you tried plugging the proposed solution into the problem to see if it is a indeed a solution?
I haven't. It would be a good thing to try, but even that would require a bit of effort, and I currently don't have MATLAB available since I switched computers. They've plotted graphs using the equation, so I assume it works to some degree of accuracy. However, the question remains, is the derivation valid, and that I can't begin to figure out. And, if it is, why hasn't wiki been updated, etc.?

Also, the paper includes the sentence "In virtually every decade from 1650 to the present, there have appeared papers devoted to the solution of thisKepler’s equation. Its exact analytical solution is unknown, ... ", so it's a little unclear to me what the paper is claiming.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Well, I studied the paper a bit, and still cannot follow the details (and I'm unfamiliar with Kepler's equation)* The paper claims "we have a new exact solution of the present problem for the universal anomaly as a function of the time." This solution is eq (31). However the universal anomaly is a constructed variable, which isn't the usual eccentric anomaly. The paper continues and we have an expression for the eccentric anomaly as a function of the mean anomaly, eq (40), and I read this to be an exact solution. So, I retrieved my copy of MATLAB and set out to test the formula with the following code:
eps = 0.3; % eccentricity
E = 1; % eccentric anomaly
Me = E - eps*sin(E) % Kepler's eq., mean anomaly as a function of E (2a)
% now we use eq 41 and 40 to calculate E as a function of Me
phi = sqrt(eps^2-[1-(1-eps)*sqrt(1+eps*Me^2/(1-eps)^3)]^2); % (41)
Ec = Me + phi % eccentric anomaly as function of Me (40)
which prints out ...
Me = 0.7476
Ec = 1.0097
An exact solution would not be off by 1 part in 100, so, it doesn't seem to work, or ... I made a mistake :)

Note that there is a restriction (32) on Me in formula (31) and hence (40), that is Me <= 2*sqrt(1-eps^2) which is met in the example above. In a complete elliptical orbit Me goes from 0 to 2*pi, so this is a weird restriction.

*but since solving Kepler's equation arguably represents the beginning of modern physics and mathematics, I'm interested.

I'm still working on this ... may get Celestial Mechanics by Danby (pdf $10.00) - any other suggestions?

Last edited:

1. What is Kepler's problem?

Kepler's problem, also known as the Kepler problem or Kepler's equation, is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the motion of a body in a two-body system under the influence of gravity. It was first described by the German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the 17th century.

2. What is a closed form solution?

A closed form solution is a mathematical expression that can be written in a finite number of standard mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. It is a solution that can be written in a simple, explicit form without the need for infinite series or iterative calculations.

3. Is there a closed form solution to Kepler's problem?

No, there is no known closed form solution to Kepler's problem. This is because the equations involved are highly complex and do not have a simple, explicit form. However, there are various numerical methods and approximations that can be used to solve Kepler's problem.

4. Why is it important to find a closed form solution to Kepler's problem?

Finding a closed form solution to Kepler's problem would provide a more accurate and efficient way to predict the motion of objects in a two-body system. It could also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and satellite orbit calculations.

5. Are there any ongoing efforts to find a closed form solution to Kepler's problem?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts by scientists and mathematicians to find a closed form solution to Kepler's problem. These efforts involve developing new mathematical techniques and algorithms to solve the complex equations involved. However, it is a challenging problem and there is no guarantee that a closed form solution will ever be found.