Is there a downside to my dieting approach?

• Thread starter mrspeedybob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, if you weigh less than your goal, you eat. If you don't, you don't. You subtract 0.1 lb from your goal after each meal to achieve your goal. This has been working so far, but you're asking why people count calories in the first place. calorie counting was discarded in favor of mass in < mass out because it is more obvious. Calories in < Calories burned is an original idea, but it is more accurate.
mrspeedybob
My logic is that if I am to lose weight the mass of material entering my body must be less than the mass of material exiting my body. Never mind Calories.

My procedure is this, before each meal I weigh myself. If I weigh less than my immediate goal then I eat, if not then I don't. After each meal I subtract 0.1 lb from my immediate goal.

The way it's been going so far, from a practical standpoint, is that I've been eating 2 meals a day. I drink a lot of water to keep my stomach full so I don't feel the hunger so much. I'm more conscientious about the nutritional value of the food I do eat, since I'm aware that I'm not eating as much and I don't want to be malnurished. And I often spend a lot of time on my treadmill before supper loosing H20 as sweat and carbon as CO2 so that the scale will tell me I can eat supper. So far I've lost 4 pounds.

My question is, why do people count Calories? What I'm doing seems to be working pretty well, but there must be a downside or everyone would be doing it. Mass in < mass out seems more obvious to me then Calories in < Calories burned so I'm sure it's not an original idea. Why was it previously discarded in favor of Calorie accounting?

Biology news on Phys.org
mrspeedybob said:
My logic is that if I am to lose weight the mass of material entering my body must be less than the mass of material exiting my body. Never mind Calories.

My procedure is this, before each meal I weigh myself. If I weigh less than my immediate goal then I eat, if not then I don't. After each meal I subtract 0.1 lb from my immediate goal.

The way it's been going so far, from a practical standpoint, is that I've been eating 2 meals a day. I drink a lot of water to keep my stomach full so I don't feel the hunger so much. I'm more conscientious about the nutritional value of the food I do eat, since I'm aware that I'm not eating as much and I don't want to be malnurished. And I often spend a lot of time on my treadmill before supper loosing H20 as sweat and carbon as CO2 so that the scale will tell me I can eat supper. So far I've lost 4 pounds.

My question is, why do people count Calories? What I'm doing seems to be working pretty well, but there must be a downside or everyone would be doing it. Mass in < mass out seems more obvious to me then Calories in < Calories burned so I'm sure it's not an original idea. Why was it previously discarded in favor of Calorie accounting?
Assuming you're serious, your 'diet" is based on nonsense, sorry. There is so much wrong with what you posted that it would take a lot of explaining, which you can easily look up for yourself. The weighing yourself before each meal is useless to gauge actual calories (energy)burned, just the amount of water you retain can vary widely during the day, from day to day, etc...

First you need to understand what food calories are. Here's a pretty simple explanation. A simple google search will turn up more technical explanations.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/wecan/healthy-weight-basics/balance.htm

Obviously a pint of ice cream is going to have more calories than a pint of carrot puree. Mass/volume doesn't matter, it's the amount of calories.

Last edited:
Well, for one, you want to make sure you're getting sufficient calories in the first place. You could eat sawdust with your method and never realize (via the numbers) that malnutrition is taking place.

Pythagorean said:
Well, for one, you want to make sure you're getting sufficient calories in the first place. You could eat sawdust with your method and never realize (via the numbers) that malnutrition is taking place.
Dang, you summed it up so nicely.

There are a few potential downsides to your dieting approach that you may want to consider.

Firstly, focusing solely on weight loss through the "mass in < mass out" approach may not necessarily lead to overall health and well-being. While weight loss can be a goal for many people, it's important to also consider the quality and nutritional value of the food you are consuming. Simply restricting your food intake without paying attention to the types of food you are eating can lead to nutrient deficiencies and potential health issues in the long run.

Secondly, relying on weight as the sole measure of progress can be misleading. Weight can fluctuate throughout the day due to factors such as water retention, and it may not always accurately reflect changes in body composition. For example, you may be losing fat but gaining muscle, which would not be reflected on the scale. This can lead to frustration and discouragement if you are solely focused on the number on the scale.

Additionally, not all calories are created equal. While your approach of "mass in < mass out" may work in terms of weight loss, it may not necessarily lead to a balanced and healthy diet. For example, you may be consuming a lot of low-calorie, processed foods that are not providing your body with the necessary nutrients it needs to function properly.

Furthermore, counting calories can also provide a more comprehensive understanding of your overall energy balance. It takes into account not just the quantity of food, but also the quality and composition of that food. This can be helpful in ensuring that you are meeting your body's needs and maintaining a healthy weight in the long term.

In conclusion, while your dieting approach may be working for you in terms of weight loss, it's important to consider the potential downsides and to ensure that you are also focusing on overall health and well-being. Consulting with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian can help you develop a balanced and sustainable approach to weight loss.

1. What are the potential negative effects of my dieting approach?

There are several potential downsides to dieting, depending on the specific approach you are taking. Some common negative effects include nutrient deficiencies, reduced muscle mass, fatigue, and slowed metabolism. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new diet to ensure it is safe and appropriate for your individual needs.

2. Can dieting lead to eating disorders?

Extreme or restrictive dieting can increase the risk of developing an eating disorder. It is important to maintain a balanced and healthy approach to dieting and to be aware of any warning signs or problematic behaviors. If you or someone you know is struggling with disordered eating, seek help from a mental health professional.

3. Will dieting affect my mental health?

Dieting can have a significant impact on mental health, particularly for those with a history of disordered eating or body image issues. It may lead to increased anxiety, depression, and body dissatisfaction. It is important to prioritize both physical and mental well-being when embarking on a dieting journey.

4. Are there any potential long-term consequences of dieting?

Some research suggests that yo-yo dieting, or repeatedly losing and gaining weight, can have negative long-term consequences on overall health and metabolism. Additionally, restrictive diets may lead to a preoccupation with food and weight, making it difficult to maintain a healthy relationship with food in the long run.

5. How can I mitigate the potential downsides of my dieting approach?

To minimize the negative effects of dieting, it is important to approach it in a balanced and sustainable way. This may include incorporating a variety of nutrient-dense foods, listening to your body's hunger and fullness cues, and seeking support from a registered dietitian or therapist. It is also important to prioritize self-care and to avoid extreme or restrictive dieting practices.