Is there a formula to get x in Excel without using solver: 0.5^x+0.2^x+0.25^x=1

In summary, to solve for x in Excel without using Solver, you can use the Goal Seek feature under the Data tab. Another option is to use the Solver Add-In, which can be added through the File tab and Options. You can also use trial and error by inputting different values for x. If the formula is more complex, you may need to specify additional constraints or use a different software. Even if the formula contains multiple variables, you can still use the Goal Seek and Solver methods, but it may be more challenging.
The Investor
TL;DR Summary
Hi! I wanted to see if there is a formula to get x in excel without using solver: 0.5^x+0.2^x+0.25^x=1. Thanks!
0.5^x+0.2^x+0.25^x=1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a neat formula for x.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.5^x+0.2^x+0.25^x=1

1602626567806.png

Likes morrobay and berkeman
There is no analytic solution to it and it's not a standard problem, so you need some sort of iterative approach. You can do that with the solver, you can write a macro to do it, you can even do it in some Excel cells (e.g. using the Newton method), but Excel won't have a nice formula for it.

Likes berkeman
OK, that's what I thought. Cheers guys.

1. How can I solve this equation in Excel without using the solver function?

In order to solve this equation without using the solver function, you can use the built-in Excel functions such as the LOG and POWER functions. These functions allow you to calculate logarithms and powers, which are necessary for solving the equation.

2. Can I use any other methods to solve this equation in Excel?

Yes, there are other methods that you can use to solve this equation in Excel. One method is to use the GOAL SEEK function, which allows you to set a target value and have Excel adjust a cell's value to reach that target. Another method is to use the ITERATIVE function, which allows you to repeatedly calculate a formula until a specific condition is met.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should enter the equation in Excel?

Yes, when entering the equation in Excel, it is important to follow the correct order of operations. This means calculating the powers first, then adding them together, and finally comparing the result to 1. If you enter the equation in a different order, you may get an incorrect result.

4. Can I use the solver function to solve this equation in Excel?

Yes, the solver function can be used to solve this equation in Excel. However, it is important to note that the solver function may not always provide the most accurate solution and may take longer to calculate compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using Excel to solve this equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Excel to solve this equation. For example, Excel may not be able to handle very large or very small numbers, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, if the equation is very complex, it may take a long time for Excel to calculate the solution.