Is there a limit on the number of references for a PhD......

In summary, there is no hard limit to the number of references in a published review. The format usually depends on the journal.
rwooduk
... literature review that we are thinking of attempting to publish?

The review will be around 20,000 words and currently I have around 16000 words and 230 references, which seems quite a lot, is there a limit to how many references are present in a published review?

This is not a thesis, but a general review of the topic I am doing in my 1st year of the PhD. The subject is Physics / Chemical Engineering based.

Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no hard limit that I'm aware of. The format usually depends on the journal though. Referees and editors will usually require that the references are directly relevant to the points that are being made in the review and not simply a tally of articles that match a specific set of keywords.

You might want to look at previous reviews in the journal you're targeting and see how many references are typical and then aim to keep your own number close to that.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, typically editors will look for reviews to be written by people who have already published extensively on the topic - at least in my experience. So you may have an uphill battle if this is based on your PhD literature review.

Likes rwooduk
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check to ensure references aren't simply there for tallying, i will also check other papers' numbers (although I am sure they have maybe 50-100 less than mine) thanks! Yes, I'm aware on the experience front, however the aspect of the topic has not been studied extensively and there is very little in the way of reviews, perhaps 3 or 4 that I have seen. Regardless of whether its published or not I'm hoping it will form the base of my thesis and at least I've written quite a lot in the first year in preparation for the potential book I will have to have written at the end of it all!

Thanks again for your help, very useful!

1. Is there a specific number of references that should be included in a PhD thesis?

There is no set number of references that must be included in a PhD thesis. The number of references will vary depending on the field of study, the research topic, and the individual thesis requirements set by the university or department.

2. Are there any guidelines for selecting references for a PhD thesis?

Yes, it is important to carefully select references that are relevant and credible for your research topic. This can include peer-reviewed journal articles, books, and reputable websites. It is also important to ensure that the references are recent and up-to-date.

3. Can I include references from popular sources such as magazines or newspapers in my PhD thesis?

It is generally recommended to avoid using popular sources as references in a PhD thesis. These sources may not be considered as credible or reliable as academic sources. However, in some cases, they may be acceptable if they provide unique insights or perspectives on your research topic.

4. How many references should be used for each chapter of a PhD thesis?

The number of references used in each chapter will vary depending on the length of the chapter and the amount of relevant literature available. It is important to use enough references to support your arguments and demonstrate a thorough understanding of the topic, but it is also important to avoid including too many references that may be repetitive or irrelevant.

5. Is it okay to include self-citations in a PhD thesis?

Self-citations, or references to your own previously published work, should only be included in a PhD thesis if they are relevant and necessary for the current research. It is important to use self-citations sparingly and avoid overemphasizing your own work. Some universities or departments may have specific guidelines on the use of self-citations in a PhD thesis.