Is there a lining to our Universe?

Andre55
TL;DR Summary
Why does our universe have a limited capacity for mass?
I was wondering if someone could answer my question. I know I may be dumb but I don't really understand why our universe has a limited capacity for mass. If I remember correctly black holes occur when concentration of mass causes a hole in spacetime. I don't really understand I guess how space time could fail. I'm sorry if this question makes no sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think our universe has a limited capacity for mass?
Where did you read this?
What does this have to do with black holes?

It is not spacetime that's is failing, it is simply our understanding of what happens in the presence of extreme gravity that fails.

Likes Andre55
Andre55 said:
TL;DR Summary: Why does our universe have a limited capacity for mass?

I was wondering if someone could answer my question. I know I may be dumb but I don't really understand why our universe has a limited capacity for mass. If I remember correctly black holes occur when concentration of mass causes a hole in spacetime. I don't really understand I guess how space time could fail. I'm sorry if this question makes no sense.
It's not a dumb question, but sounds to me like a question arising from some popular science overly simplistic version of the General Theory of Relativity (GR). As such, the question appears to be based on a misconception of the physics and cannot sensibly be answered.

Likes Andre55 and russ_watters
I'm afraid the question makes no sense.

Black holes will occur (loosely speaking) when mass is compressed so far that spacetime is sufficiently curved that no paths into the future lead outwards.

@Andre55 you need to give a reference for where you are getting these ideas from. None of them look anything like valid physics.

PeroK said:
It's not a dumb question, but sounds to me like a question arising from some popular science overly simplistic version of the General Theory of Relativity (GR). As such, the question appears to be based on a misconception of the physics and cannot sensibly be answered.
Thanks for clarification that makes more sense. I am not a physicist so popular science media is pretty much my only understanding of physics. The misunderstanding probably arose from there.

Andre55 said:
Thanks for clarification that makes more sense. I am not a physicist so popular science media is pretty much my only understanding of physics. The misunderstanding probably arose from there.
You could check out Relativity For Poets, which is a freely downloadable book by Ben Crowell, a former moderator here. There's only so far you can go without maths, but this is an honest try. https://www.lightandmatter.com/poets/

1. What is the lining of the Universe?

The lining of the Universe is a theoretical concept that suggests there may be an underlying structure or fabric that holds the Universe together and influences its behavior.

2. Is there evidence for a lining in our Universe?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for a lining in the Universe. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of a fundamental fabric that makes up the Universe.

3. How does the concept of a lining relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory describes the expansion of the Universe from a single point, but it does not explain what caused the initial explosion. Some scientists suggest that a lining or underlying structure could have played a role in this event.

4. Can we ever know for sure if there is a lining to our Universe?

As of now, we do not have the technology or means to directly observe or confirm the existence of a lining in the Universe. However, advancements in technology and further research may provide more insights into this concept in the future.

5. How does the idea of a lining impact our understanding of the Universe?

The concept of a lining in the Universe is still a topic of debate and speculation in the scientific community. If it is proven to exist, it could significantly change our understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the Universe.