Is there a "Nice" proof that R^2 is not disconnected when we remove 2 points

In summary, the topic of discussion was whether there are simple proofs that the set X:=R^2 - {p,q} is connected. One possible proof is by showing that path-connectedness implies connectedness, which can be demonstrated by considering two points in X and showing there is a path connecting them. This argument can be done at an undergraduate level. The difficulty lies in proving that the unit interval is connected, which is necessary for proving the connectivity of other sets. Other related theorems, such as the product of connected sets being connected and star shaped sets being connected, were also mentioned.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to show R^2 -{p,q} is connected.
Are there "nice" ( without heavy machinery) proofs that ## X:=R^2 - \{p,q\} ## is connected? All I can think is using that path-connectedness implies connectedness. So we consider x,y in X and show there is a path joining them. I am looking for an argument at undergrad level, so that I would not have to prove , as in here, that path-connectedness implies connectedness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is path connected -> connected really that hard to prove? I would have thought it's a pretty standard undergraduate result.

Likes WWGD
Office_Shredder said:
Is path connected -> connected really that hard to prove? I would have thought it's a pretty standard undergraduate result.
Guess you're right. Maybe I am being too lazy.

If X is not connected, and U,V are two disjoint non empty open subsets that cover X, let p be in U and q in V. Then continuously map an interval f:I-->X so that f(0) = p and f(1) = q. Then f^-1(U) and f^-1(V) are disjoint non empty open sets covering I, a contradiction since I is connected.

The point is that I is connected and the image of a connected set is connected, hence any path connected set is connected.

Just out of curiosity, how would you prove to this class that the plane itself is connected without this result?

thinking again about this topic, the hard part of course is to prove the unit interval is connected in the sense of open sets. then after that, proving other sets are connected seems to proiceed naturally via the route outlined here, i.e. iamges of connected sets are conncted and then path connected implies connected. the theorem that products of connected sets are connected seems more difficult, maybe easier to prove products preserve path connectedness.

If you knew star shaped sets are connected, then one could write the twice punctured plane as a union of two such with overlap, but how to prove that?

in gheneral the easiest way to prove facts about sets you know are connected is to use the fact that a set is connected iff every continuous map from it to a 2 point set is constant, but that does not easily help greatly to establish connectivity of a specific set like an interval. or rather, evben with that aid, you still need to use the lub property.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

Related to Is there a "Nice" proof that R^2 is not disconnected when we remove 2 points

1. What is R^2 and why is it important in this proof?

R^2, also known as the Cartesian plane, is a two-dimensional coordinate system used to graph equations and visualize mathematical concepts. In this proof, R^2 is important because it represents the space in which we are removing two points to determine if it is still connected.

2. How do we define "disconnected" in this context?

In mathematics, a set is considered disconnected if it can be separated into two non-empty subsets that do not share any common points. In this proof, we are testing whether removing two points from R^2 will result in two separate subsets that do not share any common points.

3. Can you explain the concept of "connectedness" in mathematics?

Connectedness refers to the property of a set or space where all points can be continuously connected to each other without any breaks or interruptions. In other words, there are no "holes" or "gaps" in the set or space. In this proof, we are testing the connectedness of R^2 when two points are removed.

4. What does a "nice" proof mean in this context?

A "nice" proof in mathematics is one that is elegant, concise, and easy to understand. It is often preferred over a longer, more complicated proof. In this case, a "nice" proof would be one that provides a simple and clear explanation for why R^2 remains connected when two points are removed.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this proof?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this proof. For example, it can be used in topology to study the properties of geometric shapes and spaces. It can also be applied in computer science, physics, and other fields where understanding connectedness and continuity is important.