Path-connectedness for finite topological spaces

In summary, the concepts of connectedness and path-connectedness are equivalent in finite topological spaces. To determine if a given finite topological space is path-connected, one can test for connectedness by examining all pairs of open sets and determining if they form a partition of the point set. In order for a function to qualify as a path between two points in a finite topological space, it must be continuous and satisfy certain conditions. Paths in finite topologies are typically step functions and can only go in one direction.
Wendel

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the intuition behind path-connectedness and simple-connectedness in finite topological spaces. Is there a general methodology or algorithm for finding out whether a given finite topological space is path-connected?

Homework Equations

how can I determine which of the following topologies are path-connected?
for the three-element set:
1. {∅,{a,b,c}}
2. {∅,{c},{a,b,c}}
3. {∅,{a,b},{a,b,c}}
4. {∅,{c},{a,b},{a,b,c}}
5. {∅,{c},{b,c},{a,b,c}}
6. {∅,{c},{a,c},{b,c},{a,b,c}}
7. {∅,{a},{b},{a,b},{a,b,c}}
8. {∅,{b},{c},{a,b},{b,c},{a,b,c}}
I won't list them out, but for the four-point set there are 33 inequivalent topologies. One of which is the pseudocircle X={a,b,c,d} which has the topology {{a,b,c,d},{a,b,c},{a,b,d},{a,b},{a},{b},∅}.

The Attempt at a Solution

The discrete topology is totally disconnected. Any map from the unit interval to the indiscrete topology is continuous, so it must be path-connected. Furthermore the particular point topology is path-connected. The pseudocircle is clearly path-connected since the continuous image of a path-connected space is path-connected. Furthermore it is not simply connected. From Wikipedia, connectedness and path-connectedness are the same for finite topological spaces.
Thank you, apologies for the long post.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Wendel said:
From Wikipedia, connectedness and path-connectedness are the same for finite topological spaces.
Since connectedness is easier to test than path-connectedness, for a small finite topology, why not just test each of the topologies for connectedness? All you need to do is, for each topology, look at all pairs of open sets, excluding the empty and universal set. If one or more of those pairs is a partition of the point set, the topology is disconnected, otherwise it is connected. If you have ##n## non-empty, non-universal open sets in the topology, there are only ##{}^nC_2## pairs of sets to examine, which is only 6 for the richest of the above topologies (the last one).

Likes Wendel
Thank you, it makes more sense now. However, I can't help but wonder, given a pair of points x,y∈X where X is a finite topological space, how to determine what other points in X must lie "between" x and y in order for it to be a path from x to y. Generally, the path wouldn't be surjective. I'm trying to reconcile my intuitive grasp of paths and homotopy with the more abstract notion of a topology.

Last edited:
Wendel said:
Thank you, it makes more sense now. However, I can't help but wonder, given a pair of points x,y∈X where X is a finite topological space, how to determine what other points in X must lie "between" x and y in order for it to be a path from x to y. Generally, the path wouldn't be surjective. I'm trying to reconcile my intuitive grasp of paths and homotopy with the more abstract notion of a topology.
Well a 'path' will be a function from the interval ##I=[0,1]## to the set ##S## on which the topology is imposed.
Just as in the continuous case, there will usually be multiple different possible paths between two points.
For a function ##f## to qualify as a 'path' between ##x## and ##y##, both in ##S##, all we require is that
  1. ##f(0)=x##
  2. ##f(1)=y## and
  3. ##f## is continuous.
The last one means that that for every open subset of ##S##, the inverse image ##f^{-1}(S)## must be open in ##I##.

For the trivial topology, any ##f:I\to S## will be continuous, so if it satisfies 1 and 2 it will be a path. So any point in ##S## can be on a path between ##x## and ##y##.

On the other hand if ##S## has the discrete topology, so that every subset is open, no function ##f:I\to S## will be continuous, so there are no paths, unless ##x=y##, in which case there is one special function ##f## that is continuous and is a path. Can you figure out why this is the case?

Paths in finite topologies will typically be step functions - or at least the ones we can easily visualise will be. So they'll sit on one point in ##S## until the input number gets to a certain value, at which they'll suddenly jump to another point. See if you can use that to work out a path between ##a## and ##c## in topology 2 above. Interestingly, we can only get paths going in one direction. Which direction, a to c, or c to a?

Likes Wendel

1. What is path-connectedness for finite topological spaces?

Path-connectedness is a property of a topological space that states that any two points in the space can be connected by a continuous path. In the case of finite topological spaces, this means that there is a path between any two points that consists of a finite sequence of points in the space.

2. How is path-connectedness different from connectedness?

Connectedness refers to the property that a topological space cannot be divided into two disjoint open sets. Path-connectedness is a stronger property that requires not only that the space is connected, but also that any two points can be connected by a path. In other words, path-connectedness implies connectedness, but not vice versa.

3. What are some examples of finite topological spaces that are path-connected?

Some examples of finite topological spaces that are path-connected include a line segment, a circle, and a complete graph. In fact, any finite space that is connected is also path-connected.

4. Are there any finite topological spaces that are not path-connected?

Yes, there are finite topological spaces that are not path-connected. One example is the discrete topology on a finite set, where each point is an isolated point and there are no paths between points. Another example is a disconnected space, where there are two or more disjoint connected components.

5. How is path-connectedness related to the concept of homotopy?

Path-connectedness is closely related to the concept of homotopy, which is a way to compare two continuous functions between topological spaces. In particular, if two spaces are path-connected, then any two continuous functions between them are homotopic. This means that path-connectedness is a stronger condition than homotopy, as it also takes into account the topology of the space itself.