Is there a proper way to clean a telescope mirror?

In summary, the best way to clean a mirror is to use compressed air and a camera lens duster brush, if the reflective material has been coated with a protective layer. If the mirror is really dirty, you can wash it in warm, mild soapy water.
SofiaMo
Hi guys! I have a Levenhuk telescope and still have a question what is the best way to clean the mirror? Thanx for the help.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It depends on what is on it. A gentle use of compressed air is usually a good first step.

I would generally recommend refraining from cleaning optical surfaces. The tiny gain in image brightness you might realize is offset by the huge risk of permanently damaging the optics. An air bulb for camera lens cleaning is probably the least risky method. An adventurous soul may even even rinse the surface with distilled water, but that is about the limit to what an astronomical optician would be willing to suggest.

SofiaMo said:
Hi guys! I have a Levenhuk telescope and still have a question what is the best way to clean the mirror? Thanx for the help.

Cleaning optical components (other than diffraction gratings) is straightforward if you have easy access to the element- your mirror may need to be removed from the mount prior to cleaning, and then you face the issue of re-mounting and aligning the mirror. If you are uncomfortable with optical alignment techniques, then I agree with Chronos, simply use compressed air (air bulb or Whoosh-duster) to get off whatever you can.

Never try to clean a diffraction grating.

The way we clean all optical components in my lab is to use "Sparkle" brand glass cleaner- the ammonia-free version- and lint-free paper (KimWipes, q-tips, etc.). The basic rule is to never rub dry paper on glass- pre-wet the glass with sparkle and gently use a figure-8 pattern with the wipe to clean. Use a second sheet to dry the surface. Use a light touch- as long as the paper is lint-free, you can use nearly anything, including newspaper. No rinsing needed, nor do you need solvents (acetone, etc.).

From there, you can get as complicated as you like: large optics (say 6" diameter and larger) require patience, first-surface mirrors require a *very* light touch, and you could wear rubber/latex gloves.

SofiaMo said:

Just finished cleaning mine. Here's what some consider the best way to clean the optics:

http://sctscopes.net/SCT_Tips/Maintenance/Cleaning_Your_Optics/cleaning_your_optics.html

I used the ASO cleaning system (distilled water, blue windex, 95% alcohol) cited in the reference. Remember, use lots of tissue paper, clean in one direction.

For further discussion, see http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/caring-for-your-optics/

1. How often should I clean my telescope?

It is recommended to clean your telescope at least once a year, or more frequently if you live in a dusty or humid environment. However, it is important to only clean your telescope when necessary, as over-cleaning can cause damage.

2. What supplies do I need to clean my telescope?

You will need a soft, lint-free cloth, a small amount of mild detergent, distilled water, and a can of compressed air. Avoid using paper towels or tissues, as they can scratch the delicate lenses.

3. Can I use regular tap water to clean my telescope?

No, it is recommended to use distilled water to clean your telescope. Tap water can contain minerals and other impurities that can leave residue on the lenses.

4. How do I clean the lenses of my telescope?

First, use the compressed air to gently blow away any loose dust or debris from the lenses. Then, mix a small amount of mild detergent with distilled water and dampen the cloth with the solution. Gently wipe the lenses in a circular motion, being careful not to press too hard. Finally, use a dry portion of the cloth to gently buff the lenses until they are dry and free of streaks.

5. Is it necessary to take apart my telescope to clean it?

No, it is not necessary to take apart your telescope to clean it. In fact, taking it apart can cause more harm than good. Stick to cleaning the external parts and lenses, and avoid disassembling any internal components.