Is there a unity across scale in the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of scale and how it relates to human perception. It also delves into the compatibility of General Relativity and Quantum Physics and the limitations of our understanding of the universe due to our limited data. The speakers also touch on the idea of truth and efficiency in scientific theories, and the role of the human mind in comprehending these complex concepts.
Mazeikas
Is our concept of scale, of micro and macro, of quantum and cosmic, relative to our perception as humans? If General Relativity and Quantum Physics both yield truth, then perhaps it is an error in human cognition that seems to perceive a disconnect between the two. The universe is just the universe, and the very large and the very small are existing simultaneously. They must exist together, is it just our limited human mind that cannot comprehend this?

Space news on Phys.org
Mazeikas said:
If General Relativity and Quantum Physics both yield truth, then perhaps it is an error in human cognition that seems to perceive a disconnect between the two.

Whether GR and QP yield "truth" is debatable. Both make testable predictions which have been overwhelmingly verified to within the accuracy of our instruments, so we consider them as "truth" in the sense that they are useful and allow us to build working objects and models based on their rules. Whether they are the "ultimate truth" is utterly unknowable except that they can be shown not to be true if future experiments reveal that they're laws are incomplete or inaccurate.

Mazeikas said:
The universe is just the universe, and the very large and the very small are existing simultaneously. They must exist together, is it just our limited human mind that cannot comprehend this?

We comprehend it just fine. Just because we don't know if the two theories are completely compatible doesn't mean that we have to shrug our shoulders and say, "We don't understand".

I agree that the term "truth" is debatable, but perhaps "efficient" could work for now. I think we evolved to survive rather than to comprehend reality accurately, and am not giving a discouraging message of shrugging it off. I intended my point to be positive, that clearly the two are compatible, we just haven't seen it yet.

The two theories are known to be compatible up to a point, but we don't know if they are fully compatible.

Mazeikas said:
I think we evolved to survive rather than to comprehend reality accurately

Indeed. That's why the scientific process and the principles underlying it are so important.

I hear you, perhaps you are correct. And I agree fully, very important!

Mazeikas said:
They must exist together, is it just our limited human mind that cannot comprehend this?
I don't think this has anything to do with the limitations of the human mind. This is more about having limited data. We simply don't have good data at the scales where quantum gravity would come into play.

That is fascinating to me, thank you. :)

1. What do you mean by "unity across scale" in the universe?

"Unity across scale" in the universe refers to the idea that there are fundamental laws and principles that govern all levels of existence, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies. This suggests a fundamental interconnectedness and coherence in the universe.

2. How is this unity across scale studied and understood?

Scientists study unity across scale by using various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and astronomy. They use a combination of experiments, observations, and mathematical models to uncover and understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe at different scales.

3. Is there evidence to support the existence of unity across scale in the universe?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports the existence of unity across scale in the universe. For example, the laws of physics that govern the movement of objects on Earth also apply to the movement of planets in our solar system and galaxies in the universe. This suggests a fundamental unity and consistency in the laws of nature.

4. Can the concept of unity across scale be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the concept of unity across scale can be applied to many other areas of science, such as biology, where the same principles of evolution and genetics can be applied to all living organisms, regardless of their size or complexity. It can also be applied to the study of the human brain, where the same neural networks and processes can be observed at different scales, from individual neurons to the entire brain.

5. How does the concept of unity across scale impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of unity across scale has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there is an underlying order and interconnectedness in the universe, and that seemingly different phenomena can be explained by the same fundamental principles. This allows us to make connections and gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.